Ultranet X32/M32 <-> Turbosound IQ?

1. #1 by Biton Walstra on 03-22-2015

Ultranet X32/M32 <-> Turbosound IQ?

hi,

seen a couple youtube video's about the Turbosound IQ series speakers capable of using Ultranet.

i know how Ultranet works with the P16 systems but how does it work with the IQ series speakers?

can the IQ being used as FOH PA speaker while connected by Ultranet? or is it ONLY usable as floor wedge / monitor system?

i have checked the routing menu of the X32 Producer but can't find any clue of how to setup an IQ as FOH PA speaker system.

cheers,

Micro-PA; XR18 / Lenovo A10-30 / EV ZXA1 / Heil Mics / MacBook Pro 13" / Tracks Live / Studio One v2
    Radio Amateur; m0wao
  2. #2 by Paul Vannatto on 03-22-2015
    Hi Biton,

Yes the iQ speakers can be used as either floor wedges or FOH. You would setup the outputs in the Routing, P16 Out screen. For instance, if you want to use 2 iQ speakers for FOH, simply assign the Main L/R to P16 Out 15/16 respectively. Then assign Ultranet ch 15 and 16 respectively on the FOH left/right speakers.

Paul
  3. #3 by Biton Walstra on 03-22-2015
    thx Paul

this means you will lose ch 15 / 16 for monitoring what might be an issue in some gigs.

good on you,
    Biton

Micro-PA; XR18 / Lenovo A10-30 / EV ZXA1 / Heil Mics / MacBook Pro 13" / Tracks Live / Studio One v2
    Radio Amateur; m0wao
  4. #4 by Paul Vannatto on 03-23-2015
    That is correct Biton, if you only use one Ultranet configuration. Fortunately, Robert has shown that you can have up to 3 separate Ultranet configurations at any one time. This is done using 2 S16's connected separately to the A and B port of the console. By sending separate banks of 8 signals to the respective AES50 out (Outputs 33-40, Outputs 41-48) and configuring the P16 out (connected directly to the Ultranet on the back of the console), you can have 3 separate Ultranet configurations. Unfortunately, if the console is at FOH, it would require 3 shielded cat5 (2 with ethercons, one without) from FOH to stage.

Paul
  5. #5 by Biton Walstra on 03-29-2015
    hi Paul,

have played a bit with the Routing Menu of the Producer and indeed found the iQ page.
    have made some routing settings with matrix for x-over and Ultranet P16 Out on ch 14 Sub PA (iQ 15S), ch 15 Left PA (iQ12), ch 16 Right PA (iQ12). this is just me playing with the settings as the iQ boxes aren't for sale (when?) yet.

this setting will result in losing 3 Ultranet channels for a simple set of iQ12s on a pole and iQ15S subs if not using and extra S16.

Not sure if possible connecting the iQ12s via two Ultranet (full signal / no x-over) channels and then linking with XLR from the iQ12 to the iQ15S and using the DSPs to control x-over for the cabinets. this saves ch 14 as in the previous configuration.

now i have found on the Turbosound website also the NuQ122-AN series speakers and since they also have Ultranet so i assume they will be controlled the same way as the iQ by the X32?

Radio Amateur; m0wao
  6. #6 by Jean Yong on 06-01-2015
    this might be off subject, but i was being curious, can the iq speakers be networked with midas pro series as well?

i mean, is there a way to get ultranet connection on pro serie mixers anyway?
  7. #7 by Craig Parmerlee on 05-12-2018
    - Paul Vannatto wrote View Post
    Robert has shown that you can have up to 3 separate Ultranet configurations at any one time. This is done using 2 S16's connected separately to the A and B port of the console. By sending separate banks of 8 signals to the respective AES50 out (Outputs 33-40, Outputs 41-48) and configuring the P16 out (connected directly to the Ultranet on the back of the console), you can have 3 separate Ultranet configurations. Unfortunately, if the console is at FOH, it would require 3 shielded cat5 (2 with ethercons, one without) from FOH to stage.
    I am thinking seriously about the Turbosound IQ speakers. I'm not sure that the Ultranet would actually make things any simpler, and it certainly is a proprietary solution. But given the reviews on the speakers, it is interesting to say the least.

I find the Behringer routing stuff the most difficult part of the system and I sometimes get near panic attacks when thinking about it. I wonder if I can pose several scenarios to clarify. In all cases, assume that I don't intend to use Ultranet for personal monitoring. I only would use it for driving speakers

Scenario 1

I have X32 Compact at FOH and 2xS16 on the stage. Let's say I run 2 full-range speakers, one sub, and three floor monitors, all Ultranet capable. That gives me 2 questions:

1) I would run the Ultranet from one of the S16s. But does this all work with the AES50 cable I am already running from the X32 to the S16s? In other words, it is not necessary to run a separate Ultranet cable from the X32, right?

2) On stage, I would run CAT cables from one of my S16s and daisy chain them to all of my speakers. The speakers themselves would be configured for their particular role. For example, if I wanted 2 of the monitors on one bus 1 and one of the monitors on bus2, that is a matter of soft configuration. The physical wires are the same regardless. Is that correct?

Scenario 2

Basically the same as Scenario 1 except that out near the X32 console, I will run another pair of Ultranet-capable speakers (with appropriate delays). Can I run that pair from the Ultranet plug that is on the X32 console, while keeping the stage setup from the S16 box the same as Scenario 1?
  8. #8 by Craig Fowler on 05-13-2018
    Scenario1, 1.) Yes.

Scenario1, 2.) Yes, you can daisy-chain the speakers. Alternatively, you might find it easier in terms of stage layout to run S16>P16-D, then run an ultranet line per speaker to the P16-D. There are pros and cons to both methods. In either case, on the console you might have UltranetCh1 set to Bus1, UltranetCh2 set to bus1. You'd then tune 2 of the wedges into UltranetCh1 (so they both get bus1,) and the other wedge into UltranetCh2 (so it gets bus2.)

Scenario2.) Yes, however you'd need to set the delays on the speakers themselves, using either the controls on the speakers, or the remote control software (which is USB-only, which limits the length of cable that can be used for control, which can be a pain if you've already flown the speakers.) If you had a stagebox @ FOH and fed the delay speakers from the ultranet socket on the stagebox, rather than the ultranet socket on the console itself, you can get creative with the console's routing and use the console itself to dial in the delays. If you plan ahead and can dial in the delays before you fly speakers this can be a moot point, but if it was a permanent install and you needed a EWP to adjust anything on those speakers after the fact, that would be annoying.