XR18 No Time Delay

1. #1 by Eric Carney on 02-25-2015

XR18 No Time Delay

I have confirmed with support that there is currently no option to time delay an audio output. This is a huge limitation and drastically cuts down on the usability of the unit.

If you don't know what I'm talking about sound travels almost instantly through copper and much slower through the air. If your planning on putting "delay speakers" further into the audience you have no ability to correct and will end up with muddy audio or hear each snare hit twice once right after the other.

In my opinion even if you aren't running delay speakers its sometimes helpful to delay your mains depending on your setup. For example if your mains are 10 feet out into the house then your bass, guitar and keyboard amps are producing audio thats 10 mili secends or so behind your pa speakers.

When i purchased my xair the apps weren't available yet and i just assumed it would have the same functionality as its big brother (X32) witch does have output delay per channel.

I would really like to see this feature included hopefully per channel with discreet adjustments for L/R as well but at the bare minimum at least let me sacrifice one of my effects for a 2 channel delay.
  2. #2 by Phil Smith on 02-25-2015
    I would imagine this could be achieved with delay effects, if not now, then eventually.
  3. #3 by James Puff on 02-26-2015
    Yes, I agree, channel/bus delays would be very welcome. As a bassist, what immediately comes to mind is a DI on a bass along with near/far field mics when recording, in order to time align. On Bus sends for delay clusters, yes. Please on this request?
  4. #4 by Tyler Michael on 02-26-2015
    sounds like something that can be added in a future firmware, or get the Sharq box from behringer, or get speakers with delay built-in, like the Mackie DLM series.
    Many options for you.
    I'd like to think that for about a grand, this is still an amazing unit.
  5. #5 by Laurence Kingston on 02-26-2015
    I don't know of any small mixers that have time alignment delays.
  6. #6 by Bob Martin on 02-26-2015
    I had A Peavey FX16 mixer with delay that was about 7 years ago too. It was nice. You just put the dist in from the back line to the mains and it did the rest. That would be a awesome feature especially in smaller venues where stage volume is a factor in the sound!
  7. #7 by Eric Carney on 02-26-2015
    - Tyler wrote View Post
    sounds like something that can be added in a future firmware, or get the Sharq box from behringer, or get speakers with delay built-in, like the Mackie DLM series.
    Many options for you.
    I'd like to think that for about a grand, this is still an amazing unit.
    Thanks for the suggestions. I think when i get more time to play with the unit I can send a track to my DAW delay it there and then bus it out however its just a workaround. My main reason for posting this is to say please please please to behringer add this feature.

I really like the product it sounds great. The other reason for posting this is as a prospective buyer i couldn't find any information about whether or not you could delay an output. Hopefully someone looking will stumble on this thread. had i known i would have opted for the x32 for a few 100 more.

This is a great product. well worth the money. I just think allot of people will assume as i did that a unit thats capable of RTA per channel and complex algorithmic processing like reverb and automix will also have the ability to delay an output. It is a very common feature once you get in the digital realm because its both useful and easily accomplished.

so once again behringer.. Pretty please... can i hav dat.
  8. #8 by Christopher Hill on 02-26-2015
    I've been very happy with my first few rehearsal efforts using the XR18. It's going to be great for us.

But, I have to second this request for delay on sends. I've got a small acoustic quartet. The X32 Rack is overkill for us. But, we play a lot of narrow, long spaces in NYC area. So, it's helpful to drop a couple of reinforcing speakers about halfway down the house. Without them, we have to choose between blowing away the front half of the crowd and sacrificing audibility in the back half.

I don't think it needs to be too complicated. At a minimum a simple two-channel delay effect would let us do this on two/four/six of the Aux channels. It would be enough, and right sized to the XR18.

Christopher
  9. #9 by Dan Richardson on 03-02-2015
    - Laurence Kingston wrote View Post
    I don't know of any small mixers that have time alignment delays.
    My Mackie DL1608 and my QSC TouchMix 16 both do. Granted, the Mackie didn't when it was released. I expect the XR18 will eventually. There's a lot they still need to add.
  10. #10 by Abraham Ray on 03-03-2015
    - Phil Smith wrote View Post
    I would imagine this could be achieved with delay effects, if not now, then eventually.
    You totally can, I just tried it today, stereo delay, mix 100%, Feed 0%, delay time matched, offset equal, insert on bus, go... The only problem is that the resolution on the virtual knob is difficult to adjust in the low (0-50ms) range, where a lot of people will want to use it on a mixer like this.