M32R + DL32 + M32c Configuration

1. #1 by Nick Andrews on 1 Week Ago

M32R + DL32 + M32c Configuration

Hello everyone,

I have a new configuration I am working with,

M32R console
    Dl32 snake
    and M32 core which i plan to use for an additional ultranet zone , and to process inputs for additional IEM and wedge mixes.

What would be the best way to configure with the ability to send audio in both directions

IE: i'd love to be able utilize m32r 8 xlr outs for the x32core outputs, and use m32r local inputs for additional local inputs remaped to aux 1-6 on occasion

Hope this makes the most sense.

Thanks for any advice!

As of right now -
    I have m32r inputs
    aes50a 1-8, 9-16 , 17-24, 25-32
    when i need more inputs I remap aux 1-6 to local 1-6
    Aes50b goes to m32 core which i map to see the inputs from the DL32 and create iem and stems for another zone of ultranet for p16 and so on...
  2. #2 by Craig Fowler on 1 Week Ago
    Ethernet Connectivity (not necessarily how I'd do it, but from what I've gleaned from your post.)
    DL32(A)>MC32R(A), M32R(B)>M32C(A)

On The M32R
    Settings>Global
    Synchronization: Internal (M32R will be clock master, DL32+Core will slave off it.)
    Sample Rate: Consistent with the Core

Setup>Preamps
    HA Gain Split: On (Optional, but if set on, (after you've set preamp gain,) this will provide -+18dB of digital trim at the top of each channel, which can be adjusted without affecting the send levels to the Core and messing up all their mixes. If you do need to adjust preamp gain after this is turned on, that's still possible via the Setup>Preamps page. You'd be looking at preamps located at AES50A 1-32 (DL32) and Local 1-8 (the first 6x preamps routed to the Aux channels.) It might also be worth turning on so that you can saturate the preamps themselves by cranking the gain to get the "signature" Midas sound (compression on the 2nd harmonic,) then using this digital trim afforded by the gain split to maintain that signiture sound but dial its level back to a sensible level for the rest of your gain structure.)

Routing>Inputs
    Input1-32: AES50A 1-32 (Preamps from DL32)
    AuxIn Remap: Local 1-6 (First 6x Local Preamps)

Routing>Out1-16
    Outputs1-16: Whatever you want to appear on the DL32's XLR outputs (monitors, FOH)

Routing>Ultranet
    Outputs1-16: Whatever you want to appear on the M32R's\DL32's ultranet socket

Routing>AES50A (Will appear on the DL32's XLR Outs)
    Outputs1-16: Out1-16
    Output33-48: P16 1-16 (Ultranet signals, mirrored on the console's own ultranet socket, so you can run ultranet off the DL32 instead of the console if you want.)

Routing>AES50B (Getting signals to the Core)
    Output1-8: Local1-8 (Extra signals from local preamps remapped to AuxIn)
    Output9-40: AES50A 1-32 (Signals from DL32's preamps)
    ^Notice these signals are shifted: Local signals come first, then DL32 signals, you'll see why later.

Routing>XLR Out (Signals to appear on the M32R's local XLR outs)
    Output1-4: AES50B 1-4 (Signals from M32C's additional IEM\Wedge Mixes)
    Output5-8: AES50B 5-8 (Signals from M32C's additional IEM\Wedge Mixes)
    ^By default this would be set to out1-8, which is what you've currently got going to the DL32. Given those signals are going out of the DL32, you don't need them coming out of the console too, so instead you can pull signals out of the AES50 stream coming from the Core: the extra IEM\wedge mixes generated by the Core.

On the M32C
    Settings>Global
    Synchronization: AES50A (M32C will slave off it's A socket, which will have the clock signal generated by the M32R.)
    Sample Rate: Consistent with the M32R

Routing>Inputs
    Input1-32: AES50A 9-40 (Preamps from DL32)
    AuxIn Remap: AES50A 1-6 (First 6x Local Preamps on the M32R)
    ^This way the shift from before is reversed, so what's on Ch1-32+Aux1-6 is consistent across both consoles: Preamp1 on the DL32 is ch1 on both consoles, Local preamp1 on the M32R is aux1 on both consoles etc.

Routing>Out1-16
    Outputs1-8: Your extra IEM and wedge mixes generated on the Core (probably bus1-8, post fader.)

Routing>Ultranet
    Outputs1-16: Whatever you want to appear on the M32C's ultranet socket for your 2nd Ultranet Zone

Routing>AES50A (Will appear on the M32R's Local XLR Outs thanks to the Routing>XLR out tab changes on the M32R)
    Ouputs1-8: Out1-8 (contains your extra IEM and Wedge mixes.)

That's just one way of doing it, HTH.
  3. #3 by Gary Higgins on 1 Week Ago
    Another option:
    M32R A<>A DL32 B<>A M32C B<>B M32R
    M32R internal clock (master)
    M32C sync aes50 A

Only the A port of a DL32 allows headamp control and DL output assignment (true for any DL32 configuration btw)

The M32C can also access the DL preamps via its aes50A port (using the DL B port) but will always only have a ch trim, it's the way the DL32 operates when a mixer is connected to its B port. The Dl/S32 stageboxes are unique in that they allow a mixer to connect and access the preamps via the B port (but as a slave only). You can't connect a mixer with any other DL/S/SD stagebox B ports and access the preamps-their B ports are for daisy chaining other stageboxes. No need for Gain split on it because of this also, DL B port will have trim only. Gain split on the M32R however is optional but a pretty good idea once gains are established.

The M32C can access the M32R local ch's directly (besides the DL inputs) via aes50B if needed.
    The M32C can send its outputs directly to the M32R via aes50B and the R then dictates which sources go to which outputs.

The M32R is master and has full preamp control of the DL32
    The M32R has local preamp access and control, aes50a preamp access and control and M32C aes50b generated source access directly.
    The M32R can send any of these via its own xlr outs, aux outs and P16 out or on to the DL outputs. Mix up aes50A out 1-48 using M32R generated sources or mirrored incoming aes50B sources.

You have an R generated P16 menu and port, a C generated P16 menu and port and the DL ultranet port which carries aes50a 33-48 assigned sources. Lots of P16 options.

Connetivity using this 'round trip' method does require a second long cat5 able to connect the 2 mixers FOH to Monitor (B port to B port) but allows some very interesting routing possibilities in so doing. Not saying its a better option but is another way to look at using them together.