X-Live Routing Help

1. #1 by Jim Cornelius on 1 Week Ago

X-Live Routing Help

I am helping a friend set up his X-Live but I am having issues with getting the routing correct. I have set this up on my own system but his is a bit different. His set up is:
    X32 Rack for FOH with an X32 Rack and S16 for monitors. AES50A from S16 to AES50 A to X32 Monitor Rack. AES50 B from Monitor Rack to AES50 A FOH Rack. I would like to install the X-Live card into the Monitor Rack and be able to play it back through the FOH Rack. If someone could give me the correct Routing for this I would be eternally grateful! Tried every combination I can think of but so far no luck. Thanks!!!!!!

PS. The routing as far as the system working as it should is fine. It's just the X Live that is not happening.
    Sorry about the Typo in the title. Should read X-Live Routing Help!

Last edited by Jim Cornelius; 1 Week Ago at 02:20 PM. Reason: Typo in title
  2. #2 by Paul Vannatto on 1 Week Ago
    Hi Jim,

Title has been corrected - that was the easy part. If your friend is trying to get the routing so that the X-Live automatic record/playback routing switching, that only works on the local (routing) input screen (eg. X32 Rack MON). If he wants the outputs of the X-Live to the X32 Rack FOH, on the X32 Rack MON, Routing, AES50-B screen, change the AES50 A signals to the equivalent Card signals. But that will mean that FOH will not get signals from the S16.

In reality, it would be much easier to install the X-Live into the FOH console. Is there a reason why he wants it in the MON console?

__________________________________________________ _______________________
    For additional help please refer to the X32 wiki pages for updated and current documentation about the X32.

For official technical and warranty support for your product you should contact the support team through their CARE department. You can contact CARE by phone at (+1) 702-800-8290 for the US and Canada and (+44) 1562 732290 in Europe.

You can also contact CARE via email at CARECREA@music-group.com. They strive to respond to emails within 24-48 hours during normal business hours, but please be patient if it takes longer due to the volume of emails they receive.

Paul Vannatto
    Volunteer Forum Community Moderator
  3. #3 by Jim Cornelius on 1 Week Ago
    When I put it in the FOH Rack it only gives me LOCAL channels 1-16 for playback. Any playback channel above 16 is AES 50.
  4. #4 by Paul Vannatto on 1 Week Ago
    - Jim Cornelius wrote View Post
    When I put it in the FOH Rack it only gives me LOCAL channels 1-16 for playback. Any playback channel above 16 is AES 50.
    You can assign whatever you want to the local inputs, including AES50. On the Routing, Inputs screen (firmware 3.08 or newer), there are 2 sets of bank-of-8 input assignments, one for record mode and one for playback mode. What you can't do with this automatic switching (between record and playback) is to redirect the X-Live signals out the AES50 to another console.

For additional help please refer to the X32 wiki pages for updated and current documentation about the X32.

For official technical and warranty support for your product you should contact the support team through their CARE department. You can contact CARE by phone at (+1) 702-800-8290 for the US and Canada and (+44) 1562 732290 in Europe.

You can also contact CARE via email at CARECREA@music-group.com. They strive to respond to emails within 24-48 hours during normal business hours, but please be patient if it takes longer due to the volume of emails they receive.

Paul Vannatto
  5. #5 by Jim Cornelius on 1 Week Ago
    So if I put the card in the front of house X.32 rack I would route the card out to AES 50 A inputs 1through 32 , and record routing AES50 A 1 through 32, Playback routing Local 1 through 16. Where would I route the remaining channels 17 through 32?
  6. #6 by Jim Cornelius on 1 Week Ago
    Am I correct in assuming I can only get 16 channels of playback from the X Live card on this set up I am using if I put the X Live card in the FOH X32 Rack?
  7. #7 by Paul Vannatto on 1 Week Ago
    - Jim Cornelius wrote View Post
    So if I put the card in the front of house X.32 rack I would route the card out to AES 50 A inputs 1through 32 , and record routing AES50 A 1 through 32, Playback routing Local 1 through 16. Where would I route the remaining channels 17 through 32?
    I'm not sure I'm understanding your question, Jim. Where exactly do you want the playback from the X-Live card to go to - the FOH or the MON? That will determine where you want to install the card, if you want to use the automatic record/playback option of the X-Live.

What is sent to the X-Live for recording is determined on the X32 (FOH or MON - depending on where it is installed) Routing, Card out screen. The signals are assigned in 4 banks of 8. Typically that would be identical to the Routing, Inputs screen (record mode inputs, explained later).

What is assigned to the X32 inputs is determined on the Routing, Inputs (or Home on the console itself) screen. The signals coming to the console are assigned in 4 banks of 8. But with firmware 3.08 (or newer) that supports the X-Live card, there are now 2 sets of 4 banks of 8 assignment - recording and playback.

If you select the record mode (not necessarily recording, just in the mode) on the Routing, Input (or Home) screen, 4 dots will turn orange. You would typically assign these to the external inputs, such as from the MON console or stagebox (eg AES50 A1-8, A9-16, A17-24, A25-32). So when the X-Live is in record mode (whether its recording or not), the X32 will receive those external signals

If you select the playback mode on the Routing, Input (or Home) screen, 4 other (independent) dots will turn orange (and the other ones will turn gray). You would typically assign these to the card outputs (eg. Card 1-8, 9-16, 17-24, 25-32).

With all of this setup this way, when you are recording to the X-Live card, the card will record whatever you have assigned on the Routing, card out screen and the X32 will get its inputs from whatever you have assigned to the first set of orange dots. When you play from the X-Live card, it will automatically (if it is setup to be automatic) change the X32 inputs to the second set of orange dots (typically from the X-Live card).

Does that help to make things clearer?

Am I correct in assuming I can only get 16 channels of playback from the X Live card on this set up I am using if I put the X Live card in the FOH X32 Rack?
    No that is not correct. The X-Live can playback as many as 32 channels, depending on how you setup the second set of dots (playback mode).

Last edited by Paul Vannatto; 1 Week Ago at 09:51 AM.

Paul Vannatto
  8. #8 by Craig Fowler on 1 Week Ago
    No that is not correct. The X-Live can playback as many as 32 channels, depending on how you setup the second set of dots (playback mode).
    Perhaps Setup>Card is set to do 16x16...

Depending on how monitors\foh mixes and outputs work, it could be possible to run S16>monitors>FOH, transfer all the signals from preamps to the FOH console first, then from the FOH console back to the monitor console for monitor mixing. Monitor console sets inputs to AES50 coming from FOH. X-Live card goes in the FOH console, FOH console's playback (might have to do it with snippets\cues) toggles routing Preamp signals (for live word) or Card Returns (for virtual soundcheck) to both Local inputs for FOH mxing+monitor console for wedges\iems. Nothing needs to change on the monitor console as its input signals always come from AES50 from the FOH console.
  9. #9 by Jim Cornelius on 1 Week Ago
    I think my error was not assigning my playback to the CARD OUTPUTS. I was assigning it to the Local inputs 1-8 etc. I will be visiting my buddy's band this weekend and will tackle it again. Thanks for the help!