Studio DAW routing

1. #11 by Steve Schow on 2 Weeks Ago
    - Craig Fowler wrote View Post
    No. It's probably easiest to think of it as the signals being "copied" and pasted, rather than "cut" and pasted. One signal can go to many places.
    or mirrored. whatever analogy you want. I was missing this piece. Thank you. This massively simplifies what I thought I was going to have to do. If all 32 digital input channels are routed to USB, then basically I can just choose which ones I want to record in the DAW at any moment. no problemo.

that leaves the X32 mixer totally open to any kind of monitoring situation I feel like using.

what other routing tap points are there that can mirror the signal to more then one place, just for future reference?

Edit:

Yes, that's exactly right. Well, almost. The USB card is a digital output, so it'll be post ADC, but yeah, certainly pre all X32 channel processing, regardless of whether the signal from the preamp makes it to one of the X32's own channels.
    yep, figured that.. Well that's basically using the Midas pres and A/D into the computer without any other processing and that's totally good enough for me.

Last edited by Steve Schow; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:16 PM.
  2. #12 by Craig Fowler on 2 Weeks Ago
    A brief explanation on the routing table:

Selection options (check boxes, not tabs) in the routing table:

Local X-Y: Signals direct from local preamps on the rear of the console. Only affected by preamp gain and +48V status (not any of the console's own processing, eg eq, compressors, FX etc.) Use this option in the card out tab to record "dry" or "clean" signals.

AES50 A\B X-Y: As above, but for signals from preamps coming *into* the console via the console's AES50 A\B sockets (eg from a digital stagebox.) Remember these are the checkbox options, within various tabs, not the titles of the actual tabs themselves. These could also be signals from another X\M32 console connected via AES50, eg in a FOH\Monitor\Broadcast split.

Card X-Y: These are signals coming *into* the expansion card's *input* (eg the *output* *from* a DAW, not the expansion card's output tab: those are covered later on.)

Out 1-8\9-16: The top\bottom 8 signals staged in the Routing>Outputs 1-16 menu. See below.

P16 1-8\9-16: The top\bottom 8 signals staged in the Routing>Ultranet menu.

Aux1-6\M: The first 6 signals staged in the Routing>Aux out tab, + the (stereo) Solo bus.

AuxIn 1-6\T: Signals from the local TRS auxIn sockets on the rear of the console (though this can change depending on the auxIn Remap setting in the Routing>Inputs tab,) + the signal from the TB Mic's preamp.

Routing table tabs:

Inputs:
    Many audio sources can be connected simultaneously to the console at once (local preamps, remote preamps over AES50, signals connected to the TRS sockets, digital inputs via the console's expansion card etc.) On a full-szie X32 console, IIRC the number is 169. However the console only has enough power to mix 40 of them at once. This menu determines which signals (from the aforementioned blocks of preamps, digital inputs etc) will be available for processing and mixing at one time. NB, signals from preamps\card ins etc can be routed to other outputs *without* burning input channels if desired.

Output 1-16:
    16 "virtual" outputs (really 2x blocks-of-8, referenced as "out1-8" and " out9-16") where signals can be "staged." Once staged, these two blocks of 8 can be assigned to physical outputs, (eg local XLR, remote XLR over AES50, card out etc) to get them out of the console. A variety of signals and tap points can be chosen here, though NB it's only signals generated by the console itself (eg Direct outs from channels\buses\FX returns etc, it's not an option for preamp passthrough.)

Output Delay:
    Assign an individual delay to the above mentioned signals in the Outputs 1-16 tab. Useful for line delays for delay fills etc.

Aux output:
    Another area for staging signals in a block-of-8 (6 useful, as the last 2 only apply to console with an AES3\EBU output.) Again, a variety of signals and tap points can be chosen (though no delay is available.) As well as providing a block which gets referenced as "AuxOut\M" in the rest of the routing table, whatever signals are staged here also go to the console's own local TRS\RCA aux out sockets.

Ultranet:
    Similar to the Output1-16 tab (though these blocks-of-8 are referenced in the rest of the routing table as "P16 1-8" and "P16 9-16," though no delay is available.) In addition to providing these blocks of signals for use in other parts of the routing table, this block of 16 is also patched to the console's ultranet socket. Typically this would be used for a P16 monitoring solution or Ultranet enabled (eg iQ series) speakers.

iQ setup:
    This tab is used to put some extra data in the ultranet stream that can be interpreted by attached ultranet enabled speakers to manage things like those speakers' eq and speaker modelling settings.

Card Output:
    This menu determines what signals will appear on the outputs of the console's expansion card. Like with a lot of the rest of the console, it's divided into blocks-of-8.

AES50 A\B
    This menu determines what signals will go *out* of the console's AES50 sockets. Typically it's used for sending signals back to a stagebox to appear on the stageboxs' outputs, eg monitor\FOH mixes that have been staged in the Output1-16 menu, but it can also be used for things like preamp passthrough, eg when going Mic>Monitor Console>FOH Console (in order to get signals from preamps plugged into the Monitor console to FOH for FOH mixing, without any of the Monitor console's processing,) or for acting as a bridge (eg LRM mixes from FOH console>Monitor Console>Stageboxes (without having burned inputs on Monitor console)>Amp Rack.

XLR Out
    This menu determines which signals will appear on the console's own local XLR out sockets. By default it's set as (blocks that make up the) "output1-16" menu, so that "Outputs 1-16" menu (or at least the top half, depending on how big your X\M32 console is) is essentially transparent with the console's own XLR outs: what you stage in Output1-16 appears on the console's XLR outs, but it can be changed. eg you could set Out1-4 (it only works in blocks-of-4) to Card1-4. This would make whatever is coming *in* on the first 4 channels of the console's expansion card (eg signals from your DAW) appear on the console's XLR outputs, without needing to burn any channels for processing on the console itself.
  3. #13 by Steve Schow on 2 Weeks Ago
    Thanks a lot for writing that up, I will try to absorb it when the mixer arrives. M32-edit doesn't seem to have the X/Y checkboxes you're mentioning, or at least I can't find them. But I'll definitely soak it all in..thanks a lot for your help.
  4. #14 by Craig Fowler on 2 Weeks Ago
    The X-Y was just shorthand for number variables. 1-8, 9-16, 17-24, 25-32 (and in the case of AES50 A\B, 33-40 and 41-48.)
  5. #15 by Steve Schow on 2 Weeks Ago
    That’s great information thanks!

Last edited by Steve Schow; 2 Weeks Ago at 10:03 AM.
  6. #16 by Richard YClark on 2 Weeks Ago
    If I setup the card output so that pres 1-8 go to the card, then doesn't that prevent them from also going through the M32r mixer for producing a monitor mix?
    As Craig explains any input to the mixer can go to as many channels/outputs as you wish. If you really wanted to you could just have one mic input routed to all 32 channels and all outputs (physical or digital). So no problem sending your mic to both the Card output and to a channel for monitoring with EQ, Dynamics, FX etc. But just to confuse you even more there are five different internal tap points (nine if you include Mutes as well) in the signal chain to choose to route the signal from.

If you can understand such things it is worth taking a look at the block diagram http://behringerwiki.music-group.com...=Block_Diagram
  7. #17 by Steve Schow on 2 Weeks Ago
    The following bit from Craig's post pretty much cleared everything up for me, see the underlined part....

A brief explanation on the routing table:
    Output 1-16:
    16 "virtual" outputs (really 2x blocks-of-8, referenced as "out1-8" and " out9-16") where signals can be "staged." Once staged, these two blocks of 8 can be assigned to physical outputs, (eg local XLR, remote XLR over AES50, card out etc) to get them out of the console. A variety of signals and tap points can be chosen here, though NB it's only signals generated by the console itself (eg Direct outs from channels\buses\FX returns etc, it's not an option for preamp passthrough.)
    So the idea that there are 16 "virtual" outputs (and 32 virtual inputs), and you choose on the routing matrix what signals from the mix will be used for each one. As he pointed out, the available sources for the 16 virtual outs can't be physical inputs...its just basically what the mixer itself can produce digitally, such as LR, submixes, etc. physical inputs are mapped to the 32 virtual inputs.

Anyway, after understanding that, then all the other routing tabs make sense and I see that I can use any of those as sources for card out, for example, or AES50 out, XLR out, etc. Its all pretty clear now.

the main thing I needed to figure out was related to USB DAW recording and its crystal clear now
  8. #18 by Theodore Gary on 1 Week Ago
    Wow, Post #12 from Craig Fowler should be a sticky in its own right! I am teaching a class on the use of the M32, and the summary contained in that post is absolute gold. Nice work! I'll give proper attribution if I use any of it.
  9. #19 by Jeremy Comer on 1 Week Ago
    I use the same set up you are proposing Steve (in my case x32 + S16 with Reaper). However, I tend to use an extra return from the DAW to have the click available on a separate channel, this way I can vary the amount of click in each monitor mix as per each artist's preference. Works very well for me.
  10. #20 by Steve Schow on 1 Week Ago
    nice idea. thanks for pointing that out