X32 Rack subs on ..... ?

1. #1 by Darin Warren on 2 Weeks Ago

X32 Rack subs on ..... ?

I'm going to search the forum for the answer. But in the meantime, maybe someone can suggest the best way to run my subs on an aux or mono out. There are 8 outputs the back. 2 are for mains, the other 6 should be monitors. Leaving nothing for the mono send to subs.
    The fullsized mixer had 16 outs, leaving plenty for monitors.

Thoughts?

2. #2 by Darin Warren on 2 Weeks Ago
    Does this seam like the right answer? Seems more complicated than it should to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyN0_HPReUc

3. #3 by Craig Fowler on 2 Weeks Ago
    Use only 5 monitors?
    Routing>Aux out and run the subs off TRS?
    Use a stagebox connected via AES50 and run the subs of that?
  4. #4 by Darin Warren on 2 Weeks Ago
    The 1/4 outs? I can route the mono send through one of those?

https://www.bswusa.com/Images/Produc...800&scale=both

5. #5 by Darin Warren on 2 Weeks Ago
    I do use only 5 mon mixes usually. But I want the option for 6 when needed.

6. #6 by Craig Fowler on 2 Weeks Ago
    Yep. Routing>Aux out. Set an output to M\C, Post fader.
    Keep in mind that on the Rack the TRS outputs have -5dB less headroom compared to the XLR outs (16dBu vs 21 dBu.) The M32 consoles are far more sensible and have their TRS at XLR outs both at +21dBu, but alas that's not the case with the X32.
    It might be worth going Setup>Config and setting the "M\C depends on MainLR" option on. That way you can control the level of subs+tops using the LR fader, and use the M\C master fader to control the offset between them.
  7. #7 by Bill Hood on 2 Weeks Ago
    - Darin Warren wrote View Post
    There are 8 outputs the back. 2 are for mains, the other 6 should be monitors?
    Would suggest thinking of it a little differently, and power users can correct me here. On the rack there are 8 xlr outputs, 6 1/4” aux outs and 2 - 1/4” monitor outs along with various other outs like P16, etc... will keep it simple and talk about most common connections - xlr and 1/4”.

You could route 6 monitor sends all to aux out 1-6. You could route L/R out to monitor out L&R. Still have 8 xlr outs for other...

Or You could route aux 5/6 out to monitor out, route L/R out to aux 1 & 2, etc...

Very flexible - I currently run 3 stereo IEM mixes out on aux 1-6, and run my stereo IEM out of monitor L&R, using aux 7 & 8 send (so I can hear the house mix if I want to).. I do have a stagebox too, and run my main outs from that - main tops L and R, sub1, sub2 and sub3, along with 2 floor wedge sends. Still have outs to spare.

Last edited by Paul Vannatto; 2 Weeks Ago at 03:52 AM. Reason: fixed quote
  8. #8 by Vasco Romijn on 2 Weeks Ago
    - Bill Hood wrote View Post
    You could route L/R out to monitor out L&R.
    That will work until you or someone press a solo button. I do not recommend this as a solution because even when you never need the solo function as an operator your PA will switch to the solo selected channel when pressed by accident with this configuration.

Last edited by Vasco Romijn; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:23 PM.
  9. #9 by Spence Woodford on 2 Weeks Ago
    - Vasco Romijn wrote View Post
    That will work until you or someone press a solo button. I do not recommend this as a solution because even when you never need the solo function as an operator your PA will switch to the solo selected channel when pressed by accident with this configuration.
    I agree with Vasco that this is a 'high-risk' solution. The one mitigation in this case is that the desk in question is an X32 Rack. *IF* it is being used with Mixing Station Pro, which allows the Solo buttons to be removed from the control surface, then the only way that Solo can be engaged is by pressing the button on the front of the desk. As (in most cases when using the Rack), control will not be from the front of the desk, it would require a very unusual activity to engage Solo. Still high risk, but perhaps not quite as bad as on the other desks where button-pressing is common. I'm not suggesting it as 'good practice', but using the Solo function can be useful to provide an additional (free!) monitor send, especially as it enables the use of the (powered) headphone outputs. Again, it is high-risk and needs to be used very carefully, but it can prove to be a life-saver.
  10. #10 by Bill Hood on 1 Week Ago
    - Vasco Romijn wrote View Post
    ...when pressed by accident with this configuration...
    100% agree, and would not recommend this as a setup. But it is possible and was just an example of how flexible the routing is. I do run my IEM from monitor L & R, exactly so I can solo FOH L&R to check the house mix. And to gain another Output option.

I also offer if someone presses mute by accident it can mess up FOH and monitors - dont care what the configuration, there are buttons to press by accident that will screw with your sound.