M32 Edit Connectivity

1. #1 by Mike Kokott on 4 Weeks Ago

M32 Edit Connectivity

In spite of reading multiple posts, I still cannot 1) get my m32r to recognize my network, and 2) get m32 edit to recognize it either. My computer is connected via wifi.

This is what I've done so far to connect the board:

1) established the IP Address, Subnet Mask, and Gateway for my computer
    2) input those values in the Setup/network tab (I believe that using DHCP is supposed to do this automatically but that did not work so I manually entered it, then chose "Assign" in the network tab)
    3) I do not believe that I connected...is there a way to validate from the board? At some point would I not need to enter the password for wifi?
    4) reading some posts, they say to increase the last digit of your IP address by one which I tried did not make a difference. For example, if the computer's IP address was 8.0.0.237, I entered 8.0.0.238...does it matter how many other devices I have connected to wifi?

To attempt to connect to m 32 edit:
    1) attempted to Rescan with no success
    2) Manually entered the IP address, again increasing the last digit by one. It did not connect
    3) If I am successful in connecting either of these, does the IP on the board need to match the IP in M32 Edit?

Thanks for any help!

Mike
  2. #2 by Gary Higgins on 4 Weeks Ago
    The key is your router ip, not your pc. The m32 (with dhcp turned OFF) needs to match the router for the first 3 series like 192.168.1. or 192.168.0. Look on your router, the default ip address is usually on the bottom there somewhere. That third number is the one that usually changes router maker to router maker and seems to be the most important to double check. Very common ones used are the two I just listed above.The last series for your m32 can't be the same as your router but has to be another in the allowed range. (why people go up by one digit) So say your router default is 192.169.1.1, your m32 should be set to something like 192.168.1.32. Example, my router uses 192,168.1.1 for its default. My desk is then set 192.168.1.38 with 255.255.255.0 for subnet (use that same subnet on yours also) and the gateway number doesn't matter, you can leave it at 0.0.0.0. Make sure you FIRST connect your pc to the router network. Now launch M32-Edit, should connect just fine.
  3. #3 by Kevin Maxwell on 4 Weeks Ago
    Besides what Gary has already told you, I would suggest that you first make sure that you can get the computer running M32 Edit to work when hooked up directly from the computer to the M32 with nothing in between. Once you know that that works then you can figure out the other parts. I have also heard that it isnt a good idea to try and run M32 and X32 Edit wireless.
  4. #4 by Mike Kokott on 4 Weeks Ago

Still Not Handshaking

Thank you both for your thoughts and advice. This is what I have done:

1) I have a Comcast modem/router, so I verified the router IP with Comcast customer support
    2) Verified my IP is 10.0.0.0 and dialed in 10.0.0.99 the Midas board, then assigned Subnet 255.255.255.0, left Gateway at 0.0.0.0
    3) Checked Xfinity app to make sure that any 10.0.0.99 was not already assigned to another wifi connected device
    4) Opened the M32 Edit App but it did not recognize any IP
    5) Rescanned, then tried to enter manual IP with no luck
    6) Kevin--I tried what I thought that you meant by "hooked up directly from the computer to the M32 with nothing in between". I interpreted that to mean using a CAT 5 cable between the desk and the computer--was that right? I tried that and still no connection. Could Norton Security be preventing something?

Any other thoughts?

Thanks again very much,

Mike
  5. #5 by Mike Kokott on 4 Weeks Ago

One Addendum

This may be nothing, but when I manually enter an IP address on the board, in the Setup>Network tab, sometimes the word "Assign" gets highlighted in the lower right-hand box and sometimes not. Should it be highlighted?
  6. #6 by Kevin Maxwell on 4 Weeks Ago
    - Mike Kokott wrote View Post
    This may be nothing, but when I manually enter an IP address on the board, in the Setup>Network tab, sometimes the word "Assign" gets highlighted in the lower right-hand box and sometimes not. Should it be highlighted?
    Is this a full sized M32? If it isn't I am not sure if the same controls are on the M32R.

You have to press the rotary encoder under that assign message to assign the M32 that IP address
  7. #7 by Kevin Maxwell on 4 Weeks Ago

1) I have a Comcast modem/router, so I verified the router IP with Comcast customer support
    2) Verified my IP is 10.0.0.0 and dialed in 10.0.0.99 the Midas board, then assigned Subnet 255.255.255.0, left Gateway at 0.0.0.0
    3) Checked Xfinity app to make sure that any 10.0.0.99 was not already assigned to another wifi connected device
    6) Kevin--I tried what I thought that you meant by "hooked up directly from the computer to the M32 with nothing in between". I interpreted that to mean using a CAT 5 cable between the desk and the computer--was that right? I tried that and still no connection. Could Norton Security be preventing something?

Any other thoughts?

Thanks again very much,

Mike
    If you can't it to work directly hooked up, then you are probably not going to get it to work thru a wireless router. Are you using a Mac or a PC? Do you know what the IP address is on your computer?
  8. #8 by Gary Higgins on 4 Weeks Ago

Any other thoughts?

Thanks again very much,

Mike
    Are you using your home router that Comcast supplies for internet? If so that's problem 1. Don't, get another wireless router just for your mixer. It doesn't have to be an expensive one. Everything I told you was based on the assumption you had a router just for your system. You do have to run a cable from your mixer to the router, regardless of the computer connecting to the router wirelessly or not or if you use a comcast router or not. I have never used my home router to connect to my board but envision nothing but problems if I did. If I did however, I would set the mixer to just use dhcp in that case being that you are dealing with Comcast and their set of numbers. Then you don't need to worry about or enter any ip on the mixer at all. You still need to have the mixer physically connected to the router by an ethernet cable though. You probably do but it's worth asking anyway. If you don't it will never work.
  9. #9 by Mike Kokott on 4 Weeks Ago
    Ah, that helps. I do have an m32r, btw.

Unfortunately my router is in a completely different part of the house so sounds like I will not be able to use the edit software without extensive rewiring of the house...how strange that it needs a physical connection to a router just to talk to a computer that is already physically connected to it via USB!

If I connect the computer that has the edit software directly to the board via CAT5 would that work?
  10. #10 by Kevin Maxwell on 4 Weeks Ago
    Ah, that helps. I do have an m32r, btw.

Unfortunately my router is in a completely different part of the house so sounds like I will not be able to use the edit software without extensive rewiring of the house...how strange that it needs a physical connection to a router just to talk to a computer that is already physically connected to it via USB!

If I connect the computer that has the edit software directly to the board via CAT5 would that work?
    I connect directly to the computer.