Analog Proficient Apparently Does Not Apply to Digital, Looking for a Few Basic Tips

1. #11 by Kevin Maxwell on 4 Weeks Ago
    - Mike Kokott wrote View Post
    Hi Kevin--

I tried to save the snippet by following the link provided, thank you.

1) In the Scenes>Snippets menu, I chose every option thinking that if I did that, every bit of data would save.
    2) Inserted a USB in the REC USB port on the front of the board
    3) Hit the Utility button
    4) Pressed the 6th encoder
    5) The file did not save. My working theory is that the Snippet needs a name to save it, but I cannot figure out how to give the Snippet a name. Is that right?

What am I doing wrong, or if I am correct that I need to give a name to the Snippet, how do I do that?

Mike
    Please save a scene not a snippet. Where are you located?
  2. #12 by Mike Kokott on 4 Weeks Ago

Factory Reset

Hi Kevin--

In between all the tweaking, I literally could not get a sound out of my board....not from DAW, not from YouTube, etc from the computer itself. So I started from the beginning, a factory reset. I have all functionality back except my DAW will not accept input from my desk--I cannot record a thing. It properly routes outputs so I can hear, just can't record anything.

I am thinking this purchase may just not be for me....spending way too much time just trying to understand the board but not actually recording! Is there an "Idiot's Guide" to this anywhere, because I think I need it! Never had this experience with a piece of equipment before....the one golden item about this board are the mic preamps--wow they sound good! I would like to get to know this thing but cannot help but getting frustrated.

Thanks for all your help,

Mike
  3. #13 by Mike Kokott on 4 Weeks Ago
    Hi Kevin--

I am in Illinois...there is way of thinking about this board that is not intuitive to me. I have read through the manual for the m32 and it explains a little about the functionality but not the logic behind how it works...at least not what I can pick up!

After a full factor reset, I was able to get some functionality back, i.e. get sound from my computer via YouTube or CD, and I am able to get my DAW to record inputs, but now I cannot hear anything out of the monitor. Yikes!

Again, many thanks for your help,

Mike
  4. #14 by Kevin Maxwell on 4 Weeks Ago
    - Mike Kokott wrote View Post
    Hi Kevin--

I am in Illinois...there is way of thinking about this board that is not intuitive to me. I have read through the manual for the m32 and it explains a little about the functionality but not the logic behind how it works...at least not what I can pick up!

After a full factor reset, I was able to get some functionality back, i.e. get sound from my computer via YouTube or CD, and I am able to get my DAW to record inputs, but now I cannot hear anything out of the monitor. Yikes!

Again, many thanks for your help,

Mike
    I have worked on a lot of different digital mixers going back to one of the early Yamaha digital mixers, almost 30 years ago. The M32 and the X32 are a lot more capable then the digital mixers where back then. At one of the Yamaha digital mixer training sessions, either for the PM1D or the PD5D, one of the instructors said that the good thing about digital mixers was that you could do so much with them and the bad thing was that you could do so much with them. A foundation in analog helps but it does take a little bit of different thinking for a few things because a mixer like the M32 is so much more capable then even the most expensive analog mixers of old.

So with all of that experience that I have I personally think that in many ways the M32 is one of the more logical digital mixers out there. I was doing a show last Friday with a Yamaha CL5 easily with the input and output Dante racks at least a $50.000 mixer and that isn’t including everything else like the speaker system a d&b line array. The CL5 was driving me crazy.

From what you said about all the tweaking, I can understand your frustration. The light will come on and you will realize how to do what you want. I have only setup one M32 in a studio situation (that sounds like what you are trying to do) and they were using the ADAT card. But I regularly use an M32 and for musical theater I have been using 2 of them.

I am willing to help you if I can. If you PM me your phone number and a time that we can talk when you are in front of the computer and the mixer I will see if we can get together on the phone and maybe I can get you more comfortable with the mixer.

BTW there are a lot of good you tube videos available for the M32 and the X32 the only real difference is hardware based and some of the buttons are in different places.

Here is a link to some of the M32 videos. Watch them while in front of the mixer and don’t be afraid to pause and try what they are demonstrating.
    M32 training