Analog Proficient Apparently Does Not Apply to Digital, Looking for a Few Basic Tips

1. #1 by Mike Kokott on 1 Week Ago

Analog Proficient Apparently Does Not Apply to Digital, Looking for a Few Basic Tips

Humbling Experience, just converted to digital after years of using and analog board but am convinced it will pay off!!

Just got the M32R and mostly use it with a DAW, connected through USB...the good news is that I can record and get sounds back, but it is driving me bats**t crazy that I can't get it do what it I would like it to, nor figure out why it's doing what it's doing.

Although I have many questions, having the answer to two would put me on a good path, so any experienced user that could offer advice, I would certainly appreciate it.

Question 1: Why can't I control the input volume for a given channel with the fader for the channel, and why doesn't the mute button actually mute the input to the channel? For example, with a mic on XLR input 1 (routed to Local 1), I cannot control the input volume by using the fader, nor can I mute the channel--it appears I do not have this function on any channel btw. The only way that I can control the input volume to the DAW is to adjust the gain in the CONFIG/PREAMP section. Additionally, I cannot figure out a way to mute Channel 1 in the example above. The mute may be a separate issue but just as mysterious. I would really like to control the input to the DAW on the faders, and enable the mute the channel.

Question 2: This is an output question. I routed the outputs in each channel of my DAW to channel 31/32, which gets sent to the input (left hand) section of the board. The good news is that I can adjust the output volume in both of those channels to my headphones/monitors--so I have figured that out. However, I keep reading/Youtubing experienced users that say that the output is driven to bus 15 and 16 by default but I am unable to get anything out of the return side of the board (the right 8 faders is my definition of a return). Why? Can I route the output of the channels to bus 15/16 somehow? In general, I am wondering what my options are to bring sound back into the board, preferably in the return (right set of faders) section. Also for some reason it appears that an output signal automatically sends a stereo output to Aux 1 and Aux 2 when playing a signal from my computer, cannot understand why--perhaps it is a default?

If anyone would be able to point me in the right direction on either of these two issues I would be grateful!

Cheers,

Mike
  2. #2 by Gary Higgins on 1 Week Ago
    - Mike Kokott wrote View Post
    Humbling Experience, just converted to digital after years of using and analog board but am convinced it will pay off!!

Just got the M32R and mostly use it with a DAW, connected through USB...the good news is that I can record and get sounds back, but it is driving me bats**t crazy that I can't get it do what it I would like it to, nor figure out why it's doing what it's doing.

Although I have many questions, having the answer to two would put me on a good path, so any experienced user that could offer advice, I would certainly appreciate it.

Question 1: Why can't I control the input volume for a given channel with the fader for the channel, and why doesn't the mute button actually mute the input to the channel? For example, with a mic on XLR input 1 (routed to Local 1), I cannot control the input volume by using the fader, nor can I mute the channel--it appears I do not have this function on any channel btw. The only way that I can control the input volume to the DAW is to adjust the gain in the CONFIG/PREAMP section. Additionally, I cannot figure out a way to mute Channel 1 in the example above. The mute may be a separate issue but just as mysterious. I would really like to control the input to the DAW on the faders, and enable the mute the channel.

Question 2: This is an output question. I routed the outputs in each channel of my DAW to channel 31/32, which gets sent to the input (left hand) section of the board. The good news is that I can adjust the output volume in both of those channels to my headphones/monitors--so I have figured that out. However, I keep reading/Youtubing experienced users that say that the output is driven to bus 15 and 16 by default but I am unable to get anything out of the return side of the board (the right 8 faders is my definition of a return). Why? Can I route the output of the channels to bus 15/16 somehow? In general, I am wondering what my options are to bring sound back into the board, preferably in the return (right set of faders) section. Also for some reason it appears that an output signal automatically sends a stereo output to Aux 1 and Aux 2 when playing a signal from my computer, cannot understand why--perhaps it is a default?

If anyone would be able to point me in the right direction on either of these two issues I would be grateful!

Cheers,

Mike
    Hi Mike, here is a little info that may help:

Question 1: You are probably using the default card out routing. When you use "local" in the card out routing menu it sends the source just after the preamp, pre everything, no eq, no fader etc. Only the gain knob will have an effect. If you want full ch strip control you need to use one of the 'staging' menus and use direct out of the specified ch's. There you can choose a tap point, like post fader. You could use the 'outputs 1-16' routing menu to choose the direct out ch's and tap points, then in the card out menu choose 'out 1-8'/'out 9-16' instead of "local" 1-8/9-16.

Question 2: The left hand bank is for inputs, however there is "channel spill" (pretty sure this works on the M32R like the Producer) By pressing two of the left-hand fader layer buttons concurrently, the selected 8-Channel blocks will be spilled out on the 8 input and 8 Bus faders...so you end up with 16 inputs across the two fader banks. The right hand faders are otherwise as specified, To get signal to those bus faders, you need to send some inputs to them. Fader Flip/Sends on Fader mode is where to do that the easiest. Select a bus, say bus 1, hit Fader Flip then adjust the left hand fader levels of the desired inputs to get signal sent to that bus. With regard to the right fader bank in general, from an analog perspective, think of the 16 buses as aux sends on a ch strip, but instead of only a few knobs you would have 16 aux send knobs. As to the aux ch's themselves (different animal here) usually they are set up by default as inserts not as sending to main l/r so not sure about what you mean there or if they got changed somehow. As far as bus 15/16 they are probably really talking bus/XLR outputs 15/16 on a full 32 ch M32 I think. To keep it simple for now, if you look at 'output 1-16' routing you will see on the M32R, 7 and 8 are set up for Main L/R (would be 15/16 on a full sized desk) if you then look at 'XLR out" the default setting will have 'out 5-8' set for XLR 5-8 such that Main L and Main R will be output from XLR 7/8 (would be 15/16 on a full desk).
  3. #3 by Mike Kokott on 1 Week Ago

Thanks!

Gary--

Thank you , I now have fader control for my inputs--that makes like so much easier for us analog transferees! That was the step-by-step that I needed to get there, and I am confident that as I work with the board I will better understand the Why's of that as well.

On the output side, I used Fader Flip and successfully routed my DAW channels to the buses that I chose, I can see the LED meters on the bus receiving the input. Is there a way to also control them post-fader? I do not have local fader control, although I attempted to do this by going to the Routing section, output 1-16 tab, selecting the desired bus and tried to dial in the following settings: Category: Mix Bus; Output Signal: MixBus 08; Tap: Post Fader. I can see that the Analog Output section drives all the other settings on this screen, but I am unsure why. It is presently set at Output 01 with the settings that I mentioned above.

I am undoubtedly missing something, but am much more in tune than yesterday thanks to your help.

Mike
  4. #4 by Gary Higgins on 1 Week Ago
    Gary--

Is there a way to also control them post-fader? I do not have local fader control, although I attempted to do this by going to the Routing section, output 1-16 tab, selecting the desired bus and tried to dial in the following settings: Category: Mix Bus; Output Signal: MixBus 08; Tap: Post Fader. I can see that the Analog Output section drives all the other settings on this screen, but I am unsure why. It is presently set at Output 01 with the settings that I mentioned above.

I am undoubtedly missing something, but am much more in tune than yesterday thanks to your help.

Mike
    I'm not really sure what you mean here? If you adjust the bus master level of the bus in question, it does nothing? This could be because you are listening to Main L/R pfl (monitor section) by default buses are
    not sent to Main L/R. If you solo that bus you should hear fader control. The idea of those buses is they would be sent elsewhere via the various output jacks/routing independently of FOH and not be part of the FOH mix as in most cases they end up as duplicate sources. Hope I understood the question.

Last edited by Gary Higgins; 1 Week Ago at 02:09 AM.
  5. #5 by Kevin Maxwell on 1 Week Ago
    A lot of the functionality of a digital mixer like the M32 is the same as the analog mixers but the kind of functionality that was only available of the very expensive analog mixers. The X32 and the M32 brought those features to a much lower price point. The navigation is of course different, all of the controls aren’t on the surface of a huge mixer. I find if you try one thing at a time when learning a new digital mixer and playing around and see what happens when you make changes it can really help to familiarize yourself with the mixer. Try not to just jump all over the place in learning it, try to accomplish one task at a time and you will eventually see how it all works together. Also unless you have a really good reason to, don’t jump from one manufacturers digital mixer to another they all do a lot of the same things in different ways or should I say the interfaces can be very different. Try to just get used to the way that the M32 works first.

If you have specific questions of how to do something or how something works feel free to ask on here. There are a lot of people who are willing to help. Sometimes it can really help us to understand how you already have your mixer setup if you upload one of your mixer scenes here with you question. Here is a link to the instructions for that.

Instructions

Last edited by Kevin Maxwell; 1 Week Ago at 05:43 AM. Reason: fix link?
  6. #6 by Mike Kokott on 1 Week Ago

Bus Out

Hi Gary--Yes, I think that you understood...I can indeed hear sound out through headphones/monitors when I choose Solo and can control the output to headphones and control room (where I currently have my monitors hooked up) using the master fader. I was hoping to tap in post fader on a Bus (similar to my original question #1 in my first post regarding input to DAW that you solved), but it sounds like that is not possible. Mike
  7. #7 by Gary Higgins on 1 Week Ago
    Hi Gary--Yes, I think that you understood...I can indeed hear sound out through headphones/monitors when I choose Solo and can control the output to headphones and control room (where I currently have my monitors hooked up) using the master fader. I was hoping to tap in post fader on a Bus (similar to my original question #1 in my first post regarding input to DAW that you solved), but it sounds like that is not possible. Mike
    It is possible, you can choose any mix bus and tap point using the same out 1-16 menu you discovered already (or use the p16 or aux out menu). Instead of a direct out of a ch, you choose a mixbus post fader, say bus 1, as an example. Just select the source group used (like out 1-16) instead of local 1-16 in the card out routing.
  8. #8 by Mike Kokott on 4 Days Ago

Mix Bus/Aux In

Hi Gary--

Been at the day job for a few days, sorry in the delay in getting back your way.

You were correct in your observation that I was trying to route the bus to the Main L/R monitor. Experimented with a number of routing options to see if I could tap the signal post fader but was unsuccessful. Perhaps that is not possible.

The next step for me was to run an Aux in (keyboard) through the mixer, but could not get sound from that source. Would you be able to walk me through the routing for that?

Thanks,

Mike
  9. #9 by Kevin Maxwell on 3 Days Ago
    Hi Gary--

Been at the day job for a few days, sorry in the delay in getting back your way.

You were correct in your observation that I was trying to route the bus to the Main L/R monitor. Experimented with a number of routing options to see if I could tap the signal post fader but was unsuccessful. Perhaps that is not possible.

The next step for me was to run an Aux in (keyboard) through the mixer, but could not get sound from that source. Would you be able to walk me through the routing for that?

Thanks,

Mike
    As I said - It can really help us to understand how you already have your mixer setup if you upload one of your mixer scenes here with your question. Here is a link to the instructions for that.

Instructions

We can see what you have done in an attempt to do what you are describing and probably point you in the right direction instead of us guessing where you may be having the issue.
  10. #10 by Mike Kokott on 3 Days Ago

Saving Snippets

Hi Kevin--

I tried to save the snippet by following the link provided, thank you.

1) In the Scenes>Snippets menu, I chose every option thinking that if I did that, every bit of data would save.
    2) Inserted a USB in the REC USB port on the front of the board
    3) Hit the Utility button
    4) Pressed the 6th encoder
    5) The file did not save. My working theory is that the Snippet needs a name to save it, but I cannot figure out how to give the Snippet a name. Is that right?

What am I doing wrong, or if I am correct that I need to give a name to the Snippet, how do I do that?

Mike