Harmony G XT - Problem with lead vocal in harmony output

1. #1 by Scotty Davidson on 2 Weeks Ago

Harmony G XT - Problem with lead vocal in harmony output

I am working to incorporate the Harmony G XT into my live gigging rig and am having an issue with the outputs. My plan is to use both vocal outputs to the front of house sound board. The dry output for the lead vocal and the wet output for the harmonies. That way, the FOH sound engineer can mix the harmonies independently from the lead vocal. The problem is that for some reason, there is lead vocal coming through the wet/harmony output when the harmony vocal footswitch is not engaged. Why is lead vocal coming through on a channel intended for the harmonies? Is there a way to fix this?

This issue creates two problems. First, when the harmony channel is EQd separately by the FOH engineer, the EQ is being applied to the lead that comes through on that channel when the harmonies are not engaged. This can create issues because the dedicated lead vocal line on the mixing board may be EQd differently. But the bigger issue is that the volume level on the lead vocal is artificially increased when the harmonies are not engaged because it is coming through on two channels. And then when the harmonies are engaged, the lead vocal on the harmony channel goes away, which results in decreasing the volume of the lead vocal. Because harmonies are often engaged in choruses in songs, the last thing you want to do is reduce the lead vocal volume. This unintended effect of having the lead vocals get quieter on a chorus when everyone else is playing louder almost makes the split lead and harmony outputs unusable in live music settings for a band.

Please help! Is there a way to make it so no dry lead vocal is sent through the wet/harmony out? Many thanks in advance for any advice.