New S16 Firmware

1. #1 by Gary Higgins on 3 Weeks Ago

New S16 Firmware

I had not noticed previously but there is a new version as of April 2018 with some interesting twists:

"The firmware update 2.3 for S16 adds performance improvements and new features to the stagebox operating system. The new Daisy Chain Master configuration allows using multiple stageboxes as high-perfomance recording interfaces with the KT-USB DN9630 AES50 to USB Converter. In addition to ADAT and P16 Ultranet multi-channel output, this configuration allows to connect up to 24 analog XLR outputs and 48 analog XLR inputs to the USB interface"
  2. #2 by Peter Visscher on 3 Weeks Ago
    Great.

I have mention this new option a couple of weeks ago.

At that time I have the possibility to play around with a DN9630 from a friend of my, and my two S16 stage box see topic

https://forum.musictri.be/showthread...ghlight=DN9630

When this works I make A big bend for the development team that make this possible.

I hope I can lent this weekend again the DN9630, and will update my both S16 StageBox to make some new tests.
    In the configuration layout the also talk about the S8 and S16, I have both so will test this also

Last edited by Peter Visscher; 3 Weeks Ago at 05:10 AM.
    Greeting Peter Visscher
    Sorry for my bad English, Bud im from Holland
  3. #3 by Robert Lofgren on 3 Weeks Ago
    I assume that you mean the sd8 and sd16. Dont forget about the s32.

None of the stageboxes above have a master mode (i.e. generates its own aes50 master clock) so an updated s16 is required if you want to use the dn3096 as a standalone device.

- Peter Visscher wrote View Post
    In the configuration layout the also talk about the S8 and S16, I have both so will test this also

__________________________________________________ _______________________

Check the knowledgebase at https://kb.musictri.be/mghome

For official technical and warranty support for your product you should contact the support team through their CARE department. You can contact CARE by phone at (+1) 702-800-8290 for the US and Canada and (+44) 1562 732290 in Europe.

You can also contact CARE support via email at CARECREA@music-group.com. They strive to respond to emails within 24-48 hours during normal business hours, but please be patient if it takes longer due to the volume of emails they receive.

Robert Lofgren
    Volunteer Forum Community Moderator
  4. #4 by Peter Visscher on 3 Weeks Ago
    Hello Robert

Yes of course I mend the SD8 and SD16 sorry about that.

And I understand that the SD16 and the SD8 don’t have the clock, so I need always use the S16 to create the master clock pulse.

So, with my two S16’s and one SD16 I have 48 inputs…

Greeting Peter Visscher
    Sorry for my bad English, Bud im from Holland
  5. #5 by Gary Weller on 3 Weeks Ago
    - Gary Higgins wrote View Post
    I had not noticed previously but there is a new version as of April 2018 with some interesting twists:

"The firmware update 2.3 for S16 adds performance improvements and new features to the stagebox operating system. The new Daisy Chain Master configuration allows using multiple stageboxes as high-perfomance recording interfaces with the KT-USB DN9630 AES50 to USB Converter. In addition to ADAT and P16 Ultranet multi-channel output, this configuration allows to connect up to 24 analog XLR outputs and 48 analog XLR inputs to the USB interface"
    Thanks, Just did the update.
  6. #6 by Gary Higgins on 3 Weeks Ago
    - Gary Weller wrote View Post
    Thanks, Just did the update.
    So Gary...How do the 2 new configurations show up? (have not done the update yet) hold the config button, rotate the knob and it shows the 2 new settings options additionally on the screen? There were 10 options prior, so now 12? What do the mode led's do when the new confog options are in play? Just curious what I will end up seeing.
  7. #7 by Gary Higgins on 3 Weeks Ago
    pdf chart (part of)

and...

I just did the update. So now 12 total selections instead of 10. #11 is "L 48.0" and #12 is L 44.1" To change modes, depress and hold the config button and rotate the Select/Adjust knob (same as before) to get all 12. Visual cues when new modes active: SN Master, green led lit, splitter, out +16 and out +8 (all 3 led's) lit orange for both the new modes. So the only led not lit up is the very top one when the 2 new additions are active.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Gary Higgins; 3 Weeks Ago at 08:13 AM.
  8. #8 by Thomas Kuhangel on 3 Weeks Ago
    Hi all,

I am using two S16 together with a X32 compact for recording classical music.
    So, with the new firmware of the S16 and the Klark Tek DN9630 it could be be an opportunity to do recordings without the (heavy) mixer directly in my DAW.

My questions:

How are you guys doing the monitoring during the recording session?
    For my oppinion this can only be the master out of my DAW but for I can only choose one Audio Device within my DAW (the DN9630 in that case) how can I have access to the master out of my DAW for monitoring?
    Have I overlooked something?

With the use of the DN9630 I have to do the gain adjustments directly within the S16 on stage, correct?

Thanks for your ideas.

Best regards
    Thomas
  9. #9 by Gary Higgins on 3 Weeks Ago
    I would guess the outputs would be defined in the daw just like any other recording device, the same as inputs-once connected they would show up to the DAW and be assignable. Again guessing but if you said out 1 is main L and out 2 is main R (in DAW), xlr 1 and 2 of the S16 should reflect that. You would need some additional device to connect to it like a headphone amp that way. You can also monitor any source directly from the S16, individual ch's, outputs, all adat and all p16 ch's. Select the source (depress the select/adjust knob) and then rotate through the ch's of that particular source. I'm sure the other daisy chained stagebox preamps would be adjustable by the Daisychain Master S16, In your case the 2nd S16 would be sync A, How each numbered preamp appears on the S16 Master screen I don't know (A1-16?). I don't own a DN9640 yet but plan to a some point soon, so these are really only my best guesses.
  10. #10 by Thomas Kuhangel on 2 Weeks Ago
    Thanks Gary.

This is what I expected:
    I can have the master out of my DAW on the XLR Outs of the s16.
    But this does not help. The S16 are on stage, 50m away and I have to be able to check the incoming signals by headphones in the "control room" near my DAW, selecting channels, muting channels and so on.

So this is a general question.
    Is anyone experienced in working with A/D converters and a direct DAW recording (without an audio mixer)?
    If I could define another USB device for playback purposes than for recording purposes in my DAW this could be a solution. Unfortunately this is not possible,
    Another solution would be a small D/A converter within the DN 9630 and a possibilty to route e.g. OUT 1 and 2 of the DAW to the DN 9630 to that D/A converter and e.g. two analog cinch outputs in that device.
    But the DN 9630 does not have such possibilty.

So, any good idea would help.
    Otherways this solution with an DN 9630 would not make any sense to me and I am going to use my mixer always in the future.
    (Which of course is a good but "heavy" solution.

Thomas