Using X32 as stage mixer only

1. #1 by Thomas Cole on 2 Weeks Ago

Using X32 as stage mixer only

We have an X32 RACK mixer and are planning to add an SD-8 to it. Our FOH mixer is a Mackie S32-4 which our sound man is comfortable using. I want to know if I can connect all our our inputs (9 wireless mikes, 7 wired mikes, CD player, Computer output, and the USB port on the X32) to the X32, then have them output directly to the Mackie, while at the same time have them available for the 4 stage mixes. I want the outputs to be direct from the input to the output without any control on the X32. Is this possible? If so, ideas on how to configure?
    Thanks
  2. #2 by Paul Vannatto on 2 Weeks Ago
    Hi Thomas,

Welcome to the forum. Even though the X32 Rack is a very versatile console, if you add up all the inputs (9+7+2+2+2) you won't have enough outputs if you need 4 monitor outputs even with the SD8 (8+6+8+4). I would suggest you get a couple of Behringer MS8000
    https://www.musictri.be/Categories/B...MS8000/p/P0BKC. Then you can split the 9 wireless and 7 wired mics between the 2 consoles. Then if you wish to send the CD, computer and USB outputs to FOH, there would be sufficient outputs.

__________________________________________________ _______________________
    For additional help please refer to the X32 wiki pages for updated and current documentation about the X32.

For official technical and warranty support for your product you should contact the support team through their CARE department. You can contact CARE by phone at (+1) 702-800-8290 for the US and Canada and (+44) 1562 732290 in Europe.

You can also contact CARE via email at CARECREA@music-group.com. They strive to respond to emails within 24-48 hours during normal business hours, but please be patient if it takes longer due to the volume of emails they receive.

Paul Vannatto
    Volunteer Forum Community Moderator
  3. #3 by Craig Fowler on 2 Weeks Ago
    Not doable, at least, not without some work-arounds.

Firstly, to have the X32 Rack act as a splitter, you'll be patching direct-outs from preamps. Preamp gain and +48v will affect the signals being sent to the FOH console. The way around that is to get proper mic splitters, eg the ART S8 (or 3) and use those to split the signals before they hit the preamps.

Secondly: X32Rack+SD8 = 22x analogue outputs (ignoring the monitor outs on the Rack.) You've got 22x signals (assuming cd player, computer, and X32's USB playback are all stereo,) so that fits nicely, however it leaves you 0 outputs for your monitor mixes. You could make it work if you crunched some signals down to mono, freeing up space for some monitor mixes, and\or using the monitor outputs from the X32 to feed some iems\wedges, though that sacrifices the console's solo functionality.