Signal Path Diagram for behringer UMC404HD Attached Here

1. #11 by Mick Nelso on 4 Weeks Ago

Github repository created for UMC-404HD signal path diagram

- Ken Mitchell wrote View Post
    What do you think about creating a github repo and posting the .dia, .pdf, and readme.txt file there.
    I think that's a super idea! The repository has been created at https://github.com/mcnster/umc-404hd-signal-path.

I will add you as a collaborator as soon as I find out your github id.

(If you are not Ken, you are welcome to clone or download this repository with read-only access.)

After silence, music comes closest to expressing the inexpressible.
  2. #12 by Ken Mitchell on 4 Weeks Ago

Version 1.1 has been posted to the repo.

Here's a summary of changes I've made:

1. Added "double arrow" to INSERT path to indicate both Send and Return are in that path.
    2. Added USB Sends for each channel path to USB connector.
    3. Added MIDI In/Out path to USB Connector.
    4. Modified Headphones "R" path to show it's connected to ring on TRS.

Enjoy,
    Ken

Last edited by Ken Mitchell; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:40 PM.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver
  3. #13 by Mick Nelso on 4 Weeks Ago
    1. Added "double arrow" to INSERT path to indicate both Send and Return are in that path.
    Ken,

When you say SEND/RETURN, do you mean there can be an audio signal coming backwards from INSERTS 1-4 into the switches? If so, I have been unaware of this and good for you for discovering it.

If not, I think it may be inappropriate to put a double arrow into the INSERT 1-4 SW's because what's returning is half of a control signal. I know its not explicitly stated anywhere but--with the exception of MIDI--this is a schematic of audio signal paths. Perhaps it would be a good idea to make that clear in the info box at the bottom?

Comments?

Mick

4. #14 by Ken Mitchell on 4 Weeks Ago
    - Mick Nelso wrote View Post
    Ken,

When you say SEND/RETURN, do you mean there can be an audio signal coming backwards from INSERTS 1-4 into the switches? If so, I have been unaware of this and good for you for discovering it.

If not, I think it may be inappropriate to put a double arrow into the INSERT 1-4 SW's because what's returning is half of a control signal. I know its not explicitly stated anywhere but--with the exception of MIDI--this is a schematic of audio signal paths. Perhaps it would be a good idea to make that clear in the info box at the bottom?

Comments?

Mick
    Hi Mick,

Yes, There's a Send signal going to the Tip and a Return signal coming from the Ring. I got lazy and decided not to draw it as two separate lines since I would have had to redraw the switch as well.

The Insert jack is a funny beast. It's actually a TRS jack with a built-in switch. If nothing is plugged into it then Tip and Ring are connected together which allows the signal to flow through the switch. When a TRS is plugged into the jack, the signal path is broken, the incoming side of the switch is connected to the Tip and the outgoing side is connected to the Ring. Shield is the common conductor.

An external FX processor (or chain of processors) can be inserted into the signal path using a specialty cable called, duh, an "insert" cable. The TRS at one end is connected to 2x TS connectors at the other. Tip of the TRS is connected to Tip of one TS and Ring of the TRS is connected to Tip of the other TS. Again, Shield is the common conductor.

See here: http://hosatech.com/product/stp-200/

EDIT: Here's a good visual of an insert cable: https://www.dropbox.com/s/f0w5y72br6...cable.jpg?dl=0

As far as the info box I think it's fine as is. The diagram represents all the relevant signals in the unit with MIDI being the only non-audio shown. If someone doesn't know that MIDI doesn't carry audio this diagram won't really help them much anyway.

The value of showing the MIDI connections is for completeness and to show that it doesn't connect to nor control anything within the unit. It's just a USB-MIDI interface in the sheetmetal box.

Ken

Last edited by Ken Mitchell; 4 Weeks Ago at 12:47 PM. Reason: See EDIT:
    If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver
  5. #15 by Ken Mitchell on 4 Weeks Ago

Posted Version 1.2 on Github

I added a column/row "Quadrant" border around the edge so it's easier to direct someone to a specific area of the diagram. For example, "please see the headphone jack in quadrant A4".

Enjoy,
    Ken

6. #16 by Mick Nelso on 3 Weeks Ago
    An external FX processor (or chain of processors) can be inserted into the signal path using a specialty cable called, duh, an "insert" cable. The TRS at one end is connected to 2x TS connectors at the other. Tip of the TRS is connected to Tip of one TS and Ring of the TRS is connected to Tip of the other TS. Again, Shield is the common conductor.
    Thanks Ken for the clarification. I think I grok this INSERT thing now.

7. #17 by Mick Nelso on 3 Weeks Ago
    I added a column/row "Quadrant" border around the edge so it's easier to direct someone to a specific area of the diagram. For example, "please see the headphone jack in quadrant A4".
    Nice. I have one suggestion though: Would the quadrant border look better if every other letter/number was in reverse colouration? Right now its all black text in a white box. Would it look better if every other box was black with white text? This seems to me to be the way the pro's do it.

I can do it or you can do it if you agree.