Using VL3 for recording harmonies

1. #1 by Mary Tulin on 04-10-2018

Using VL3 for recording harmonies

Hello, I am new to this forum, and to the VL3. I have been reading an older thread on how to connect your DAW to VL3 for recording—specifically, in my case, adding harmonies via post-processing. In the original thread from 2014, Craig Fraser generously and clearly explained the process, and offered connection diagrams which have since disappeared. Anyway, I got so far, correctly connecting the machines, setting levels, to the point where I could hear the generated harmony in my headphones, if I plugged them into the VL3.

Alas, the only sound reaching my recording interface (Focusrite Clarett 4Pre) appeared to be the dry vocal, and no signal at all reached my DAW software (ProTools). Very puzzling. Could not figure out what I had missed. I finally gave up, as I am just starting a new recording project and feel that live basic tracking is the best use of my time. But I’ll be back when it’s time to layer harmonies!

My question: Is there a current resource on recording harmonies with the help of VL3? Instructions, tips........?
  2. #2 by Mary Tulin on 3 Weeks Ago

Awaiting Assistance with Recording Vocal Harmonies only - VL3

I decided to devote some time today to assiduously following Craig Fraser's instructions for recording harmonies or other effects via DAW. Still no joy.

I've got dry vocal and guitar coming out of DAW via outputs 3 and 4 on the Pre, and into the mic and guitar in on the VL3. I've got the XLR outputs connected to Inputs 1 and 2 on the Pre. Settings on the DAW match up with the above. I've got the lead voice muted, did the auto gain setting, and... ?

When I monitor the VL3 I hear voice, guitar, and harmonies, but all warbly, with volume jumping up and down. Nothing appears to be coming out of the VL3 outputs into the Pre's inputs.

Anyway, I must be doing something wrong. I would love to be able to record choral 'ohs' and 'ah's', background voices, as I find those are the most arduous for me to do by myself.

I wonder if someone could diagram the desired connections for ProTools 12, using a Focusrite Clarett 4 Pre?
  3. #3 by VoiceLiveEditor on 3 Weeks Ago
    Hi

Assuming you want to record stereo harmonies only. and your recording just the xlr outs of the vl3.

Set lead Mute to ON.
    If sending GTR to vl3, then you need to mute the GTR sound from the XLR outs, either connect the gtr outs to something or just put some cables in there; or put something in Gtr Thru port. This should then only have vocals coming out of the XLR outs.

If signal coming in to Interface is too low, change the OUTPUT MODE of the XLR to LINE out ( setup menu).

When feeding your vocals and gtr make sure you do an autogain of both the mic and gtr on the vl3. Make sur eyou monitor you clip lights on the vl3, if it clips, manually reduce the mic or guitar input level by 4 or 5 db. It's possible when the autogain was done it was not done on the loudest part of the tracks.

Hopefully that gets you going.

4. #4 by Mary Tulin on 1 Week Ago

Thanks! Will give it another go.

Thank you, Editor, for your response. I don't have an email alert set up and only saw your reply today.

Hope Springs Eternal...