Voicelive touch 2 with ribbon microphone

1. #1 by Peter Corser on 04-06-2018

Voicelive touch 2 with ribbon microphone

I was wondering if it was possible to plug a ribbon microphone into a voicelive touch 2? Iím planning on using a coles 4038, but I donít want to risk it before Iím convinced itís not going to explode! Has anybody tried it please? I canít find any information about this.
  2. #2 by Mark Farrell on 04-06-2018
    You need to be particularly careful with ribbon mics and inadvertent incorrect application of phantom power which could damage the ribbon element. You may already know this. I think the bigger issue of trying to use a ribbon mic with the VLT2 is whether you would have enough gain from the VLT2 to make the mic usable without a preamp of sorts. The sensitivity of the Coles 4038 is 0.6 mV/Pa which will need a bunch of gain. Either an additional preamp or a device like a Cloudlifter or FetHead may give the needed gain to make it work. Both the basic Cloudlifter and FetHead are phantom powered, but by design block the phantom voltage from reaching the ribbon mic which would protect the ribbon mic from possible damage. If you are 100% sure the phantom power is not enabled on the VLT2, it should be safe to connect it to give it a try.
  3. #3 by Peter Corser on 3 Weeks Ago

Ribbon on voicelive touch

Hi Mark
    Thanks alot for your instructive reply.
    Sorry I didnít get back to you until now.
    Iíll let you know how it goes when I get round to trying it.
    Peter