X32 Core with Klarkteknic DN32 and Midas DL32

1. #1 by Regis Planque on 02-02-2018

X32 Core with Klarkteknic DN32 and Midas DL32

Hi,

last night I was performing a show with a X32 Core and a Midas DL32.

My X32 Core is equipped with the Klarkteknic DN32-DANTE card.

As I was not using DANTE during the show I obviously selected clock sync to AES50, but the X32C never syncronised with the DL32.

Instead I had to select clock sync of the X32 to the Card (DANTE) and in this way the X32C syncronised with the DL32.

I don't understand why I should sync the X32 to the DANTE card if I do not used the DANTE card but only the AES50? And why the X32C can not sync to AES50 if it is equipped the DN32-DANTE?

Thank you for your help
    Regis Planque
  2. #2 by Craig Fowler on 02-02-2018
    If you're trying to get the Core to sync over AES50, that implies that something connected via AES50 is capable of being clock master (another X\M32 console, or a stagebox.) In terms of stageboxes, it's only the S\DL16 that are able to act as clockmasters (and only if they're set to the correct mode.) All the other stageboxes in the range (S\DL32, SD16 and SD8) can only act as slaves. You would have either had to set the clock source as "ExpCard," which you did, or as "Internal," allowing the Core to generate its own clock and the stagebox sync off that.
  3. #3 by Regis Planque on 02-03-2018
    Ok!

That makes sense.

I thought the DL32 was able to act as clock master.

Now what is the best choice between the Internal clock of the X32C and the DN32-DANTE clock. I mean in terms of clock quality (jitter, etc...)?
  4. #4 by Paul Vannatto on 02-03-2018
    Hi Regis,

Welcome to the forum. As Craig mentioned only the S16 and DL16 (Midas' version) stageboxes can be configured to be the master clock - and only for standalone setup (in conjunction with slave stageboxes to make a digital snake). The other stageboxes (SD8, SD16, S32, DL32) are slave units only.

Regarding which master clock device would be better, the mixing console (eg. X32 Core) is typically set to be the master clock. That said, I have read that when the DN-Dante (or X-Dante) card is inserted, it always wants to be the master clock. So if you aren't using the DN-Dante and don't want it to be the master clock, I would remove it.

__________________________________________________ _______________________
    For additional help please refer to the X32 wiki pages for updated and current documentation about the X32.

For official technical and warranty support for your product you should contact the support team through their CARE department. You can contact CARE by phone at (+1) 702-800-8290 for the US and Canada and (+44) 1562 732290 in Europe.

You can also contact CARE via email at CARECREA@music-group.com. They strive to respond to emails within 24-48 hours during normal business hours, but please be patient if it takes longer due to the volume of emails they receive.

Paul Vannatto
    Volunteer Forum Community Moderator
  5. #5 by Robert Lofgren on 02-03-2018
    I just wanted to add to Paul's comment.

Digital devices that need to be in clock sync with each other must agree upon what clock should be the master clock and derive the synchronization from that clock.

Dante is a bit smart as it can be its own clock if a network clock is missing. It can even be the master clock for every device if you want it to be.

By leaving the x32 clocking to the x-dante you make sure that you always have a correct sync in your system weather you are connected to a dante network or not.

It is possible to set the x32 clock to be internal, but then the x-dante must be the dante master domain clock for the rest of your dante network.

- Paul Vannatto wrote View Post
    That said, I have read that when the DN-Dante (or X-Dante) card is inserted, it always wants to be the master clock. So if you aren't using the DN-Dante and don't want it to be the master clock, I would remove it.

For official technical and warranty support for your product you should contact the support team through their CARE department. You can contact CARE by phone at (+1) 702-800-8290 for the US and Canada and (+44) 1562 732290 in Europe.

You can also contact CARE support via email at CARECREA@music-group.com. They strive to respond to emails within 24-48 hours during normal business hours, but please be patient if it takes longer due to the volume of emails they receive.

Robert Lofgren
  6. #6 by Regis Planque on 02-05-2018
    Thanks Paul and Robert for all this detailed information.

Paul, I don't know if I want to use the Internal Clock of the X32 or the Dante Clock, because my question was: which clock is the best one in terms of stability, jitter, etc? The DN32-Dante or the X32C internal clock?
  7. #7 by Paul Vannatto on 02-05-2018
    - Regis Planque wrote View Post
    my question was: which clock is the best one in terms of stability, jitter, etc? The DN32-Dante or the X32C internal clock?
    Since I don't have one of these DN32-Dante cards, I can only go by what has been reported or what I've been informed. As far as I know, that question has not been asked before. I would suggest you either contact CARE (contact info in my signature below) or try both and let us know the results.

For additional help please refer to the X32 wiki pages for updated and current documentation about the X32.

You can also contact CARE via email at CARECREA@music-group.com. They strive to respond to emails within 24-48 hours during normal business hours, but please be patient if it takes longer due to the volume of emails they receive.

Paul Vannatto
  8. #8 by Regis Planque on 02-07-2018
    This is CARE's answer to this question:

Regarding your inquiry: X32 Core - Tech question about clock quality.
    With the DN32 Dante card installed on your X32 core, If you push and hold the 'SCENE/Setup' button to open the setup menu, and access the Sync option, You should be given the option in this menu to adjust what is the master clock between your devices.This should allow you to easily switch between clock sources without having the remove the DN32 card everytime you which to change master. Please try this and let me know the results. If possible could you please video this (and include all connections to your device) as this will then allow me to replicate your setup as closely as possible and try to reproduce this issue?

With regard to The best device to have as master, the only thing I can recommend is to experiment and see which result meets your creative intentions.