MA400 alternatives to monitor input.

1. #1 by Paul Scotson on 02-02-2018

MA400 alternatives to monitor input.

Can I run a keyboard output or a guitar amp DI into the monitor input of my MA400 directly rather than going through a mixing desk?
  2. #2 by Jon Goad on 02-02-2018
    The monitor input on the MA400 expects an unbalanced, line-level signal (either stereo or mono). The normal scenario is to connect an Aux output of a mixer to it, and that Aux bus on your mixer controls your in-ear or headphone mix. Or you could also connect a stereo output from an iPod, phone, laptop, cd player, etc. to it for playing along and practicing with pre-recorded tracks.

I expect that the output from your keyboard should be fine, since that will be a line-level signal. I'm not sure which sort of guitar amp DI you're talking about, but as long as it's an unbalanced signal with enough gain, it should also work fine. You would not want to connect a balanced signal to the monitor input, or if you did, you should at least set the stereo/mono switch on the MA400 to "mono", and it might work ok.
  3. #3 by Paul Scotson on 02-02-2018
    Thanks Jon. I'll try the DI this weekend and report back here. It's from a blackstar artist 30. Our band doesn't always use a PA and so the ability to hear myself directly from the amp would be useful.
  4. #4 by Paul Scotson on 02-03-2018

It works! And it doesn't

The emulated out from the artist 30 works fine, either into the monitor input with an instrument cable, or into the microphone input with a 1/4" to xlr cable.
    The bad news is that it only works for about a minute before the power light dims, and no sound other than crackling comes through. Sounds like a faulty device. I'll have to take it back to the dealer next week.
  5. #5 by Paul Scotson on 02-08-2018
    The box itself is the problem. The power supply is fine. Now awaiting a replacement