Advice on avoiding clipping?

1. #1 by Magnus Olsson on 3 Weeks Ago

Advice on avoiding clipping?

Hi
    Any tips for a situation like this:
    Our PA was used in a large Venue and put to the limit.
    - When doing soundcheck and playing a recorded reference track (e.g. modern rocksong with the usual over-the-top compression) everything sounds fine and whit e real punch in the bottom.
    - However switching to live band suddenly the PA Subs start to clip and we are nowhere near the same pressure or punch as the reference track. I can't see on our X32 that any signal is clipping. But on the sub speakers the indicator for clipping is lit.

What am I doing wrong?
    - I had an EQ on the mains out and ended up cutting heavily in the bass freq. to get rid of the clipping.
    One idea that came to mind afterwords was to put in a limiter on the X32 just before the mains. Are that common?
    Any tips is appreciated.

The PA is HK Audio Pulsar PL112FA & PL118 Sub A
  2. #2 by Paul Vannatto on 3 Weeks Ago
    - Magnus Olsson wrote View Post
    I can't see on our X32 that any signal is clipping. But on the sub speakers the indicator for clipping is lit.
    Turn the input sensitivity to the sub amp down.

__________________________________________________ _______________________
    For additional help please refer to the X32 wiki pages for updated and current documentation about the X32.

For official technical and warranty support for your product you should contact the support team through their CARE department. You can contact CARE by phone at (+1) 702-800-8290 for the US and Canada and (+44) 1562 732290 in Europe.

You can also contact CARE via email at CARECREA@music-group.com. They strive to respond to emails within 24-48 hours during normal business hours, but please be patient if it takes longer due to the volume of emails they receive.

Paul Vannatto
    Volunteer Forum Community Moderator
  3. #3 by Jon Goad on 2 Weeks Ago
    I agree with Paul. It sounds like the clipping must have been occurring at the sub's input. How many of these sub cabinets do you have? This may be a case where you simply need more sub cabinets for this size venue and/or louder subs capable of putting out more SPL's. Pre-recorded music is often heavily compressed, which probably let you get more thump out of them as opposed to the live band mix.
  4. #4 by Jon Goad on 1 Week Ago
    Another thought: you haven't told us how your subs are placed. If you had them placed on either side of the stage, you could get up to a 3db boost in output (I'm assuming you're using a pair of sub cabinets) by center-clustering them instead.