WARNING: BE CAREFUL with these tube holders on the G20 !!!!

1. #1 by Salvatore Cazzu on 01-12-2018

WARNING: BE CAREFUL with these tube holders on the G20 !!!!

Ok, by now I can consider myself a total Bugera lover. I have a 1960, a 6260, and I just got a G20, which is BRILLIANT. However, there's something there that is very easy to underestimate and can be potentially dangerous: when you remove the power tubes, the tube holder's SPRINGS can EASILY get detached from the chassis attachement, and can slip INSIDE THE AMP. And if you are absent-minded you might just be tempted to grab the thing to reattach it. DON'T DO IT, because you would basically be touching the inside of the amp, which carries lethal voltages EVEN when it's off, because the big caps inside might be charged! Get the tube holder out of there carefully whilst insulating yourself.

I removed the tube holders entirely. They aren't necessary anyways. This is by no means a criticism on the amp, the amp itself is fantastic! I still can't believe I can buy this at this price, I have used only tube amps, for many years. But these tube holders there are potentially dangerous. A little unassuming detail that can create some serious trouble.
  2. #2 by John Butts on 1 Week Ago
    Hi Salvatore.
    Thanks or the warning about the tube holders. Just curious what tube swaps you've done with the Amp. I find the ECC83's to be way too harsh. I put a 5751 in V1 and a 12AX7 in V2 and the distortion was much smoother. My only other complaint is it seems a bit flat tone wise. Adjusting tone knobs and INF doesn't really change things dramatically. In fact turning the INF fully to British makes it even darker. Maybe I'll try it again with a equalizer in the loop but eq's can only do so much to affect the voice of an amp.

John