Practice Stats - What is this telling me?

1. #1 by Dave Hauser on 01-06-2018

Practice Stats - What is this telling me?

Been working with a basic VL Play for a short time and have run about 20 hours through it. I'm using it at couple small venues with some minor effect to clean things up - I am not using pitch correction.

So I just finished a gig, about 2 hours - and happened to hit the 'Practice' button - I didn't realize that it keeps some kind of stats. So, it shows a percentage of 94% and average is '---' (minus minus minus). What does that mean?? 6% of the time I'm off key??? And what does --- stand for? And for what time period is this... just that gig??

Maybe I'm reading too much into this but it is suddenly stressing me a bit and not really any in depth information on this that I can find...

Thanks
  2. #2 by Spencer Larsen on 01-22-2018
    Hey Dave,
    I'll copy the relevant section from the manual below to answer your questions. In short, it's running and tracking you all the time. But hey, the thing's just chips and wires so who cares what it thinks sounds good. 94% is pretty damn good, and even if it said 10% I wouldn't stress it

"The practice screen gives you valuable feedback about your pitch while you sing. In fact, the stats monitor runs continuously as you use the VoiceLive Play and will give you an up to the minute record of how accurately you’ve been singing. After using the practice tool for some time, you can use the information it gathers to help you focus on improving specific areas of your vocal performances.
    There are 6 items on the practice screen:
    Range – Shows the highest and lowest note sung
    Longest – Shows time, in seconds, of your longest held note.
    Accuracy – Displayed in a percentage form (67%), this indicates how often you are accurately hitting a note. Using the VoiceLive Play for longer periods of time without resetting the stats will give a more accurate representation of your accuracy.
    Average – Shows, in cents (1/100th of a semi-tone) how sharp or flat you are singing on average. If your average is several cents sharp or flat, you’re likely singing a large number of your notes sharp or flat.
    Problem Notes – Keeps a list of the notes that you’ve “missed” the most often. There are two sections, one for notes you are sharp (#) on and one for notes that you are flat (b) on. Sometimes, practicing the identified notes along with a piano or other instrument can help train your voice to be more accurate when singing those particular pitches."

Spencer Larsen
    Engineer, Testing
    TC-Helicon,
    MUSIC Group
    Our Support Team is always available for more urgent assistance.