Behringer XM8500 hooked up to a U-Phoria UM2 for recording audio for Youtube

1. #1 by Soumyadeep Biswas on 12-12-2017

Behringer XM8500 hooked up to a U-Phoria UM2 for recording audio for Youtube

Okay , so here is my situation .

I am looking for improving my audio quality of my Youtube videos . I live in a small apartment in the middle of a city , so I have to deal with ambient noise ( I try to eliminate them as far as possible ) . The room I record in does not have any acoustic treatment whatsoever , but it's filled with wooden furniture and has curtains on two of the walls . What I am trying to say is that it's not as "echoy " as a bathroom . Plus I have a humming computer fan to deal with .

So , this is the plan I have came up in regards to improving audio quality in my given situation .

A Behringer XM8500 hooked up to the Behringer U-Phoria UM2 .

Now , I have a question or two regarding my planned setup .

The XM8500 being a dynamic mic with a cardioid pattern , I believe will eliminate most of the ambient noise , if I keep my mouth 2-3 inches from it .

From a bit of online research , I have found out that the XM8500 has sensitivity of -70 dB and so , I have to crank up the gain on the UM2 quite high to get some sound out of the XM8500 . I have read somewhere that when the gain is cranked up to 70-80-90 dB on a interface like UM2, there is a lot of electronic hiss and other noise .

Is it true ?

How much gain do I need on the UM2 with the XM8500 hooked up to it to get a usable audio level ?
    And will electronic hiss be present at the gain level ?

Any help will be very much appreciated .

Regards & thanks for reading my post .
  2. #2 by Ken Mitchell on 12-13-2017
    - Soumyadeep Biswas wrote View Post
    Okay , so here is my situation .

I am looking for improving my audio quality of my Youtube videos . I live in a small apartment in the middle of a city , so I have to deal with ambient noise ( I try to eliminate them as far as possible ) . The room I record in does not have any acoustic treatment whatsoever , but it's filled with wooden furniture and has curtains on two of the walls . What I am trying to say is that it's not as "echoy " as a bathroom . Plus I have a humming computer fan to deal with .

So , this is the plan I have came up in regards to improving audio quality in my given situation .

A Behringer XM8500 hooked up to the Behringer U-Phoria UM2 .

Now , I have a question or two regarding my planned setup .

The XM8500 being a dynamic mic with a cardioid pattern , I believe will eliminate most of the ambient noise , if I keep my mouth 2-3 inches from it .

From a bit of online research , I have found out that the XM8500 has sensitivity of -70 dB and so , I have to crank up the gain on the UM2 quite high to get some sound out of the XM8500 . I have read somewhere that when the gain is cranked up to 70-80-90 dB on a interface like UM2, there is a lot of electronic hiss and other noise .

Is it true ?

How much gain do I need on the UM2 with the XM8500 hooked up to it to get a usable audio level ?
    And will electronic hiss be present at the gain level ?

Any help will be very much appreciated .

Regards & thanks for reading my post .
    Hi Soumyadeep,

Welcome to the forums. It's important to understand that mic sensitivity is not 1-1 with the voltage at the output of the mic (which dictates the level going into the audio interface).

Here's a good article on mic sensitivity: http://www.analog.com/en/analog-dial...nsitivity.html

In ideal input level for the UMC2 is -18dB but if I remember correctly from my testing on my UMC404HS the signal LED comes on around -24dB. Yes, It's true that increasing gain with also amplify the noise and setting the gain too high will definitely raise the noise floor (i.e. hiss). You will not be able to get 70+ dB of gain from the mic preamp so that's not a concern. Again, from my experiments with a UMC404HD I think you'll get around +18dB of gain 50%.

Take a look at this thread for results of my mic gain tests with a UMC404HD: https://forum.musictri.be/showthread...305#post135305

Do you have the equipment yet? If so I'd do some experimenting with different gain levels while using the free version of the Oscarizor plugin that can be found here: http://www.sugaraudio.de/oscarizor/ along with a tone generator app running on your phone.

I don't have an XM8500S otherwise I'd rsome tests for you.

Ken