Need balanced mono XLR monitor out on X1832USB

1. #1 by Ed Croteau on 12-10-2017

Need balanced mono XLR monitor out on X1832USB

My snake stage box only has XLR connectors in both directions.

I need to get a balanced mono signal on an XLR cable from the monitor out on my X1832USB in order to control a single powered monitor on stage.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Ed
  2. #2 by Paul Vannatto on 12-10-2017
    Hi Ed,

Welcome to the forum. The Aux sends are indeed unbalanced 1/4" jacks (just checked the QSG page 33). Here are a few suggestions
    * Use a 1/4" mono to XLR-M pigtail (tip to XLR pin 2, sleeve to XLR pin 1). This will not convert unbalanced to balanced. So if your snake is relatively long, the whole return will function as an unbalanced line.
    * Use a DI to convert unbalanced to balanced signal.
    * consider upgrading to an XR12 digital console where Aux 1 and 2 are balanced outs.
    * consider upgrading to an XR18 with 6 XLR Aux outs (plus 2 XLR Main outs).
    The advantage of the XR12, XR16 or XR18 is that the console can be at the stage and controlled wirelessly (wifi) using an external router and a laptop or tablet. Therefore no snake is required.

__________________________________________________ _______________________
    For additional help please refer to the X32 wiki pages for updated and current documentation about the X32.

For official technical and warranty support for your product you should contact the support team through their CARE department. You can contact CARE by phone at (+1) 702-800-8290 for the US and Canada and (+44) 1562 732290 in Europe.

You can also contact CARE via email at CARECREA@music-group.com. They strive to respond to emails within 24-48 hours during normal business hours, but please be patient if it takes longer due to the volume of emails they receive.

Paul Vannatto
    Volunteer Forum Community Moderator
  3. #3 by Ed Croteau on 12-11-2017
    Thanks so much for the suggestion Paul. Those digital wireless mixers look nice for sure. I guess there's no way to convert to balanced for the snake return or you would have mentioned it.

Ed

- Paul Vannatto wrote View Post
    Hi Ed,

Welcome to the forum. The Aux sends are indeed unbalanced 1/4" jacks (just checked the QSG page 33). Here are a few suggestions
    * Use a 1/4" mono to XLR-M pigtail (tip to XLR pin 2, sleeve to XLR pin 1). This will not convert unbalanced to balanced. So if your snake is relatively long, the whole return will function as an unbalanced line.
    * Use a DI to convert unbalanced to balanced signal.
    * consider upgrading to an XR12 digital console where Aux 1 and 2 are balanced outs.
    * consider upgrading to an XR18 with 6 XLR Aux outs (plus 2 XLR Main outs).
    The advantage of the XR12, XR16 or XR18 is that the console can be at the stage and controlled wirelessly (wifi) using an external router and a laptop or tablet. Therefore no snake is required.
  4. #4 by Paul Vannatto on 12-11-2017
    - Ed Croteau wrote View Post
    I guess there's no way to convert to balanced for the snake return or you would have mentioned it.
    Ed the second suggestion (a DI box) will convert unbalanced to balanced.

For additional help please refer to the X32 wiki pages for updated and current documentation about the X32.

For official technical and warranty support for your product you should contact the support team through their CARE department. You can contact CARE by phone at (+1) 702-800-8290 for the US and Canada and (+44) 1562 732290 in Europe.

You can also contact CARE via email at CARECREA@music-group.com. They strive to respond to emails within 24-48 hours during normal business hours, but please be patient if it takes longer due to the volume of emails they receive.

Paul Vannatto
  5. #5 by Ed Croteau on 12-11-2017
    Oh, gotcha, a DI on the mixer side (offstage) - always think of DI's on stage - great suggestion. Thanks again.
  6. #6 by Paul Vannatto on 12-11-2017
    - Ed Croteau wrote View Post
    Oh, gotcha, a DI on the mixer side (offstage)
    Yes that's correct Ed. But since its Chrismas, why not ask Santa for a nice shiny new XR18 (and problem solved)?

Paul Vannatto
  7. #7 by Ed Croteau on 12-31-2017
    Happy New Year!

Thanks again for the suggestion to use AUX 1 SEND and a soundboard DI.

I'm testing out the setup and it seems to work great except that I'm not getting the effects mix - just the dry signal.

AUX1 SEND --> DI --> snake --> powered stage monitor

Any idea how to get the mixed effect signal back as a monitor signal? Or is that possible?

I've heard it's a toss-up whether people prefer dry or somewhat wet in the monitor signal.

Thanks!
  8. #8 by Ed Croteau on 02-11-2018
    I see this thread indicates that I probably can't get a wet monitor mix from the X1832USB : https://forum.musictri.be/showthread...X2442USB-Mixer

Does anyone know if this is true for the X1832USB for sure?

Any workarounds besides and external effects processor? One more box ...
  9. #9 by Jon Goad on 02-12-2018
    If that mixer has an Effects Out jack and you have a free input channel, just use a patch cable to loop from the Effects Out back to a channel input, and then you can use the channel fader (instead of the effects return) to control the level of the effects in your main mix and use the channel aux send to control the level of the effects in your monitor mix.
  10. #10 by Paul Vannatto on 02-12-2018
    - Jon Goad wrote View Post
    If that mixer has an Effects Out jack
    Unfortunately this model does not have this feature.

Paul Vannatto