Setting-up A Behringer Xenyx X1204USB For Skype Calls

1. #1 by Dan Spada on 12-02-2017

Setting-up A Behringer Xenyx X1204USB For Skype Calls

I am clueless when it comes to anything audio, but thought I'd be able to figure this out. I have a small middle school studio where two kids are able to do a news show, but I am also trying to get people to be able to call in with Skype, so we can host different experts in different fields. The Behringer is set-up to the computer via a USB cord. I realize that plugging in the student mics is pretty simple. But I am unsure how to set-up the mixer so that the guest's voice will come through, and the guest will be able to hear me. I have a few different types of cables. From what I read I need to use the computer's mic jack and headphone jack. I have some 3.5mm to XLR, 3.5mm to 1/4", and a 3.5mm to 2 Mono 1/4" Y-Cable, but I don't know where any of them go. If anyone can provide me with any help or guidance, I'd really appreciate it.

Here is a link to a picture of the same audio mixer: https://medias.audiofanzine.com/imag...usb-238484.jpg
  2. #2 by Ken Mitchell on 12-04-2017
    - Dan Spada wrote View Post
    I am clueless when it comes to anything audio, but thought I'd be able to figure this out. I have a small middle school studio where two kids are able to do a news show, but I am also trying to get people to be able to call in with Skype, so we can host different experts in different fields. The Behringer is set-up to the computer via a USB cord. I realize that plugging in the student mics is pretty simple. But I am unsure how to set-up the mixer so that the guest's voice will come through, and the guest will be able to hear me. I have a few different types of cables. From what I read I need to use the computer's mic jack and headphone jack. I have some 3.5mm to XLR, 3.5mm to 1/4", and a 3.5mm to 2 Mono 1/4" Y-Cable, but I don't know where any of them go. If anyone can provide me with any help or guidance, I'd really appreciate it.

Here is a link to a picture of the same audio mixer: https://medias.audiofanzine.com/imag...usb-238484.jpg
    Hi Dan,

Before getting into what cables you'll need we first need to know what connections you have on the computer running Skype. Is it a desktop with a standard sound card, assuming 2x stereo out, but is it 2x stereo in, or 1x mono in? Is it a laptop with a a single, integrated 3.5mm jack that uses a breakout cable?

We know what's needed on the mixer side so it's just the computer side that's the question.

Please provide that info and we'll be able to help you with the needed cables.

Ken
  3. #3 by Dan Spada on 12-04-2017
    Thank you so much for the reply Ken. The computer is a desktop computer (http://store.hp.com/us/en/vwa/deskto...ower;mem=16-GB). I am unsure about the 2 stereo in or 1 mono in, and I looked through the specs and can't seem to find that. I also chatted with the HP support and they were no help, all they told me is that it "comes with DTS Studio Sound™, DTS Headphone." It looks like the only audio input is just the microphone jack, and the only audio output seems to be the headphone jack.

Is there somewhere I can check to find this information?
  4. #4 by Paul Vannatto on 12-04-2017
    Hi Dan,

Maybe I can help. I work at a large corporation that uses exclusively HP desktops and laptops. Can you provide either the model or Product ID (number on an HP sticker, probably on the back just below the serial number)? Part of my job deals with warranty repairs and I can get the necessary specs of your computer.

__________________________________________________ _______________________
    For additional help please refer to the X32 wiki pages for updated and current documentation about the X32.

For official technical and warranty support for your product you should contact the support team through their CARE department. You can contact CARE by phone at (+1) 702-800-8290 for the US and Canada and (+44) 1562 732290 in Europe.

You can also contact CARE via email at CARECREA@music-group.com. They strive to respond to emails within 24-48 hours during normal business hours, but please be patient if it takes longer due to the volume of emails they receive.

Paul Vannatto
    Volunteer Forum Community Moderator
  5. #5 by Ken Mitchell on 12-04-2017
    - Paul Vannatto wrote View Post
    Hi Dan,

Maybe I can help. I work at a large corporation that uses exclusively HP desktops and laptops. Can you provide either the model or Product ID (number on an HP sticker, probably on the back just below the serial number)? Part of my job deals with warranty repairs and I can get the necessary specs of your computer.
    Hi Dan,

You can right click on the little speaker icon at the bottom right corner and select "Recording Devices" to see the Inputs. "Playback Devices" should show you the outputs.

Ken
  6. #6 by Dan Spada on 12-04-2017
    Thanks Ken, I feel so stupid, because it seems like this should be something easy to find.

Under Playback I have
    Speaker/Headphone Realtek High Definition Audio
    Realtek Digital Output Realtek High Definition Audio
    Speakers USB Audio CODEC
    NVIDIA Output (Not plugged in)

When I selected the properties for the Speaker/Headphones it says Jack information "L R front panel 3.5 mm Jack" and under advanced it says 24 bit, 48000Hz (studio quality)

On Digital Output properties it says Jack information "Rear Panel Optical Jack" and under advanced says 2 Channel, 16 bit, 48000 Hz.

There is a headphone icon on the jack on the front, and green and blue jacks on the back with icons that look like sound waves with an arrow going through them (the green one on the left has an arrow going toward the right and the blue jack on the right has an arrow going towards the left.

Under recording I have
    Microphone Realtek High Definition Audio
    Line In Realtek High Definition Audio (Not Plugged in)
    Stereo Mix Realtek High Definition Audio
    Microphne USB Audio CODEC

On Stereo Mix properties it says Jack information and there's nothing next to it, and under advanced says 2 Channel, 16 bit, 48000 Hz.

Under microphone properties it says Jack information "Front Panel 3.5 mm Jack."

Sorry, I know this is probably more information than you needed, but I'm trying to just get this running as soon as possible, so kids can get in here and use this! Thank you again for all of your help.
  7. #7 by Dan Spada on 12-04-2017
    Hi Dan,

Thanks so much Paul. I tried to find the information Ken asked me to find, and I'm not sure if I found it or not. The Product ID is V9B61AA#ABA. Thanks again for your help. I'm incredibly appreciative that so many people are willing to help us get up and running.
  8. #8 by Paul Vannatto on 12-05-2017
    Hi Dan,

That HP tower (V9B61AA#ABA) is an HP Omen PC - 880-025se that uses a Realtek HD Audio Driver (ALC3863-CG audio codec). From what I can gather, it has 2 jacks on the top front (mic input, headphones output) and 3 jacks on the back (line in, 2 speaker out - probably for surround).

Reading your original post, I think you are going to want to have all your inputs, outputs and monitoring at the mixer and just have the USB cable connected to the computer. The trick is going to be routing Skype so that it comes to the mixer, but does not feed back to Skype via the computer (or you will end up with a feedback loop).

I helped a podcasting friend last spring setup a similar setup with his X32 Producer (which has far more routing capabilities). Fortunately I was on holidays at my son's, so I had some spare time (many hours actually) to help him get the routing figured out. Skype seems to be a tricky app to get it to work properly in this scenario. In the end we did get it working the way he wanted.

For additional help please refer to the X32 wiki pages for updated and current documentation about the X32.

For official technical and warranty support for your product you should contact the support team through their CARE department. You can contact CARE by phone at (+1) 702-800-8290 for the US and Canada and (+44) 1562 732290 in Europe.

You can also contact CARE via email at CARECREA@music-group.com. They strive to respond to emails within 24-48 hours during normal business hours, but please be patient if it takes longer due to the volume of emails they receive.

Paul Vannatto
  9. #9 by Dan Spada on 12-07-2017
    Hi Dan,

That HP tower (V9B61AA#ABA) is an HP Omen PC - 880-025se that uses a Realtek HD Audio Driver (ALC3863-CG audio codec). From what I can gather, it has 2 jacks on the top front (mic input, headphones output) and 3 jacks on the back (line in, 2 speaker out - probably for surround).

Reading your original post, I think you are going to want to have all your inputs, outputs and monitoring at the mixer and just have the USB cable connected to the computer. The trick is going to be routing Skype so that it comes to the mixer, but does not feed back to Skype via the computer (or you will end up with a feedback loop).

I helped a podcasting friend last spring setup a similar setup with his X32 Producer (which has far more routing capabilities). Fortunately I was on holidays at my son's, so I had some spare time (many hours actually) to help him get the routing figured out. Skype seems to be a tricky app to get it to work properly in this scenario. In the end we did get it working the way he wanted.
    Thanks Paul, I didn't realize sound would still come through the USB. I think I can I live with the Skype just coming through the computer and mixing it with one of the programs that mixes the computer audio with the mixer audio.

But one of my questions is if the audio from the mics is going into the computer, and I want to hear the mixer AND the sound from the computer, how do I do that? When I have the headphones plugged into the mixer I can't hear sound coming from the computer. Is there is a setting in the computer that I have to change (in the recording and playback tabs), or is there something else I need to do with the mixer? Thanks again for all of your help!
  10. #10 by Paul Vannatto on 12-07-2017
    Hi Dan,

On the mixer, just above the Alt 3-4 master faders is a set of 3 buttons. The red one is labeled as 2 TR/USB. I would suggest you press that button so that it is depressed. Then just to the right is a pot that adjust the volume to the headphones. Try that.

To be honest, I'm not completely familiar with this little mixer. I do believe that it has very limited routing capabilities, compared to the X32 (which I'm more familiar with). So you may find that it may not be versatile enough for podcast routing requirements.

Paul Vannatto