How to Conect "Logic Pro X" with XR18?

1. #1 by David C. Kinn on 11-28-2017

How to Conect "Logic Pro X" with XR18?

I am having difficulties connecting Logic to my xr18. I have selected the XR18 under system Properties and in Logic. I have selected my output to be 17/18, But I see no signal on the XR18. I used the same computer to run both the X air software and Logic. Do I have to use two different machines? Any help would be great.

David Kinn
  2. #2 by Paul Vannatto on 11-28-2017
    Hi David,

Welcome to the forum. Is there a reason why you chose USB 17 and 18 as the stereo return from Logic Pro to the XR18? The XR18 USB is fully 18x18 (18 chan in both direction) meaning that the signals from the XR18 to the DAW are independent from signals going in the other direction (DAW to XR18).

If you want to use USB 17 and 18 as the returns to the XR18, I would suggest you select the Aux channel strip (between ch 16 and FX1), then select Input screen. For the channel source, select the USB, select the USB 17/18 and bring the USB trim to 0 db.

__________________________________________________ _______________________
    For additional help please refer to the X32 wiki pages for updated and current documentation about the X32.

For official technical and warranty support for your product you should contact the support team through their CARE department. You can contact CARE by phone at (+1) 702-800-8290 for the US and Canada and (+44) 1562 732290 in Europe.

You can also contact CARE via email at CARECREA@music-group.com. They strive to respond to emails within 24-48 hours during normal business hours, but please be patient if it takes longer due to the volume of emails they receive.

Paul Vannatto
    Volunteer Forum Community Moderator
  3. #3 by Chris Janton on 11-28-2017

You need to choose your "speakers"

In Audio/MIDI Setup application, Audio devices.

When you choose the XR18 and click on the "Output" tab you will see a button that says "Configure Speakers..." Click it.

You should see (typically) left front and right front speaker with selection menu below. Choose "Out 17" for the left and "Out 18" for the right and your "Stereo Out" from Logic should go to 17/18 on the XR18.

Now you should have the audio sent to XR18. You route 17/18 as appropriate for your monitoring setup.

Have fun. Ask questions.

I have tried and used LOTS of crazy combos of outputs and aggregates and such with Logic. All working happily...

4. #4 by Ken Mitchell on 11-28-2017
    - Paul Vannatto wrote View Post
    Is there a reason why you chose USB 17 and 18 as the stereo return from Logic Pro to the XR18? The XR18 USB is fully 18x18 (18 chan in both direction) meaning that the signals from the XR18 to the DAW are independent from signals going in the other direction (DAW to XR18).
    Hey Paul,

This is probably my fault as well as a few others. We encourage the use of USB17/18 as a DAW return to not consume the other analog channel inputs with USB Returns. Since Aux has minimal channel processing this is the least impactful on the setup. The fact that the USB Returns don't consume analog channels on the X32 is one of several reasons I'm moving our theatre setup to an X32 rack.

Ken
  5. #5 by Paul Vannatto on 11-28-2017
    - Ken Mitchell wrote View Post
    We encourage the use of USB17/18 as a DAW return to not consume the other analog channel inputs with USB Returns. Since Aux has minimal channel processing this is the least impactful on the setup.
    But the Aux channel can be assigned any USB pair including 1-2 to 17-18 and all channel strips 1-16 can be assigned to any USB single input including 1-18. Granted the default is a 1 to 1 correlation. But that never stopped us from making a mess of the routing.

The fact that the USB Returns don't consume analog channels on the X32 is one of several reasons I'm moving our theatre setup to an X32 rack.
    The X-Air consoles were based on the X32 concept, but were intentionally simplified for a different market focus, particularly involving routing and inter-connectivity. The X32 can be configured to implement USB routing similar to the X-Air. With the new X-Live card, it will also have the ability to flip back and forth between USB and analog inputs, similar to the X-Air. It is not a matter of consuming channels. Rather it is about strategic configuration and routing.

__________________________________________________ _______________________
    For additional help please refer to the X32 wiki pages for updated and current documentation about the X32.

For official technical and warranty support for your product you should contact the support team through their CARE department. You can contact CARE by phone at (+1) 702-800-8290 for the US and Canada and (+44) 1562 732290 in Europe.

You can also contact CARE via email at CARECREA@music-group.com. They strive to respond to emails within 24-48 hours during normal business hours, but please be patient if it takes longer due to the volume of emails they receive.

Paul Vannatto
    Volunteer Forum Community Moderator
  6. #6 by Ken Mitchell on 11-28-2017
    - Paul Vannatto wrote View Post
    But the Aux channel can be assigned any USB pair including 1-2 to 17-18 and all channel strips 1-16 can be assigned to any USB single input including 1-18. Granted the default is a 1 to 1 correlation. But that never stopped us from making a mess of the routing.
    Agreed, but I feel it's best not to get into routing with a new user that just wants to lay down a few tracks and play them back through the mixer or play some backing tracks while recording.

The X-Air consoles were based on the X32 concept, but were intentionally simplified for a different market focus, particularly involving routing and inter-connectivity. The X32 can be configured to implement USB routing similar to the X-Air. With the new X-Live card, it will also have the ability to flip back and forth between USB and analog inputs, similar to the X-Air. It is not a matter of consuming channels. Rather it is about strategic configuration and routing.
    Agree again. In fact, I've asked Santa for my very own X32 rack so I can wallow in it for a while before I make a total mess of the theatre's setup.

Ken
  7. #7 by Chris Janton on 11-29-2017

I like the 17/18 choice

I have made my XR18 my audio interface for my Mac(s) in the studio. It sits in the rack to my left. I can see all the nice jacks labelled 1-16. I can't see 17/18 (easily). Making the Mac be 17/18 is simple and easy to deal with...

Of course I also use aggregate devices which include the system in/out as well - S/PDIF on at least one Mac...I have spent lots of confused moments while I was learning how to map things around.

Another simplifier is when I am playing multi-track recordings back through the XR18 to do virtual sound checks. It's a whole lot easier to play the band back through the XR18 and adjust gate, compressor, and EQ for each instrument and voice. And I get to hear it all through the Combinator! which is a nice bonus...

I also use my X-Touch for a lot of work in Logic. Would like to do more with it, possibly live, so I can learn the ins and outs (heh) of driving the XR18 hands on.