Best External Router?

1. #1 by David Stackhouse on 11-27-2017

Best External Router?

I recently purchased a Midas MR18 and an iPad Pro, and have been getting drops in wifi connection, even when standing just a few feet away in my own home. I'm trying to tackle that issue in another thread, where I've been advised to get an external router. (Others outside this community have also recommended this.) What would you all recommend? Thanks...
  2. #2 by David Stackhouse on 12-01-2017
    I'm really hoping some folks will weigh in on this topic. I've had connection drops between my iPad Pro and my MR18 (both are brand new units), and if I'm going to drop more $$$ on an external router, I'm hoping for some models that have been tested that I can count on.

I just spoke to a Midas tech support rep who didn't have specific recommendations. He did say that an external router will definitely provide more robust signal than the unit's internal router, and he did recommend I do NOT use Apple routers.
  3. #3 by Paul Vannatto on 12-01-2017
    Hi David,

I'll add my 2 nickels. I've been using dual band D-Link routers with no issues. Currently I have a DIR-822 and an older one (don't remember the model).

__________________________________________________ _______________________
    For additional help please refer to the X32 wiki pages for updated and current documentation about the X32.

For official technical and warranty support for your product you should contact the support team through their CARE department. You can contact CARE by phone at (+1) 702-800-8290 for the US and Canada and (+44) 1562 732290 in Europe.

You can also contact CARE via email at CARECREA@music-group.com. They strive to respond to emails within 24-48 hours during normal business hours, but please be patient if it takes longer due to the volume of emails they receive.

Paul Vannatto
    Volunteer Forum Community Moderator
  4. #4 by Jeff Malott on 12-01-2017
    David,

I have experienced this same issue with the on-board access point. I ended up using an Apple Airport Extreme and the difference was night and day. It's performance was rock solid. And with the Airport Utility app, it is easy to manage and change network settings (when needed).

Jeff

Jeff Malott
  5. #5 by David Stackhouse on 12-10-2017
    Thanks for your replies, Jeff and Paul. Jeff, it's funny that you should recommend the Apple router, because when i spoke on the phone to a Midas rep, he specifically said not to use Apple routers. Go figure...
  6. #6 by Matt Greiner on 02-11-2018
    I just purchased my M32 last week, and I also was looking for a recommendation on a router as well. I ended up purchasing a Netgear R6400 and it worked great for me the first time out. I can't say more than that, but I do not anticipate issues. I also downloaded a free wifi analyzer app for my cell phone, so I could see the wifi signals in the room and adjust my network if needed.
  7. #7 by Jeffrey Bridges on 04-02-2018
    I've been using a Linksys dual band for the past 5 yrs and it works as well as a small consumer level device can work.
    But it is now beginning to fail and I sought out the name of the gear that Clair Bros uses.
    Now I own a Ubiquiti Rocket 5 with Omni antenna. It is a 5g device.
    But I am having difficulty getting it properly configured.
    My Pro 1 is not seeing the IP address from the Rocket and I need to hopefully find someone on here that has experience with Ubiquiti Routers.
  8. #8 by Graham Spice on 05-16-2018

TheWirecutter.com's review of routers

This link might be of interest in your search for a good router:

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-wi-fi-router/

Once you get one to add to your rig, how and where are you mounting your external router and where are the antennae? Are you always connecting within the line-of-sight of the router?
  9. #9 by Jeffrey Bridges on 05-16-2018

Best WiFi routers for mixing

After sorting out my IPaddress problems, I have had nothing but stellar results from my Ubiquiti Rocket M5. This device is the answer that I have been seeking. Superior performance and range. Nothing else has come close. Every other sound guy that has seen my rig has bought one for himself.
    When this one reaches the end of the line, I will surely buy another one.
  10. #10 by Graham Spice on 05-16-2018
    - Jeffrey Bridges wrote View Post
    After sorting out my IPaddress problems, I have had nothing but stellar results from my Ubiquiti Rocket M5. This device is the answer that I have been seeking. Superior performance and range. Nothing else has come close. Every other sound guy that has seen my rig has bought one for himself.
    When this one reaches the end of the line, I will surely buy another one.
    Would you mind posting a picture of your setup? I'd like to see how you mount this when you're out on a gig. Does it come with an antenna?

I'm assuming the model you're using is this one: https://www.ubnt.com/airmax/rocketm/