Harmony Singer 2 Issues [Resolved]

1. #41 by Spencer Larsen on 02-16-2018

Issue is resolved!

Hey everyone,
    We've fixed it! There is now an update available on VoiceSupport - firmware build 12 - which will fix this random distortion issue. Please hook your pedal up and update the firmware, you'll be good to go.
    In basic terms, Harmony Singer 2 was typically running at about 99% with its internal processing, but some particular inputs were enough to push it to 101% and cause the XLR output to get garbled. We were up against a wall to preserve battery life, but with some clever optimization and moving things around, our engineers were able to grant additional headroom and prove this issue will not rear its distorted head again.
    This issue was input-dependent, which is why only some Harmony Singer 2 users encountered it. Vocal input with many consonants and "S" sounds would stress out our harmony algorithm, which is always listening with a preference for pitched sounds. Bon Iver would have been fine but beatboxing would result in making you sound like a robot in a ceiling fan.
    Many many thanks to everyone in this and other related threads who helped me to track this issue down. Not everyone had the time to stick around and troubleshoot a temperamental pedal, which is absolutely understandable, but those of you who did are greatly appreciated. I apologize for how long this took to rectify. It was a tricky process narrowing down the cause, but once I did, the engineers were great about dropping their work on new products to repair an existing one.
    Thanks again to everyone here for their help. Hopefully now y'all can learn to trust this pedal again and get back to making music with it

Spencer Larsen
    Engineer, Testing
    TC Helicon,
    MUSIC Tribe
    Our Support Team is always available for more urgent assistance.
  2. #42 by Samuel Desnoulez on 02-16-2018
    Hi,
    Congratulations and glad you could find and fix the problem. I'm wondering now how you can inform every HS2 user in the world, and espacially non-english speaking people. I'm French and I'm used to search infos on international forums. That's how I got here. But what about other users who are not able to write a research in english on the net? Regards, Sam
  3. #43 by Rastislav Makys on 02-21-2018
    Thanks Spencer!
    After 2 days testing of a new FW, i can confirm that it works without issues. All the "P" or "S"es and beatboxing didn't distort a voice, so - so far so good. Credit to the team!
    Rasti
  4. #44 by Craig Kickbush on 02-22-2018
    Hi there,
    In updating the firmware I've managed to brick my pedal. I'm not sure what went wrong but I've done it before with no issues. I've since discovered that if you hold down the footswitch and the tone button while turning on it goes into a "boot" mode (and shows up as a usb audio device "Harmony Singer 2 Boot".

I found the sysex file with the updated firmware and sent it to the pedal via Bomes' Send SX. All seemed to be good (two red lights and power light flashing green as data is received), however once that happens it seems to hang on both red lights and power light flashing orange, I've left it for 20 mins and no change. Powering down just brings the device back to bricked mode (obviously the update is failing). Is there some process I'm missing here? It seems like I'm a step away from making the pedal usable again, but this isn't quite it.
  5. #45 by Brock Meeks on 02-22-2018
    - Cecilie Kaasgaard wrote View Post
    I'm gonna go ahead and assume you've tested the USB cable to make sure it's not faulty? Also the basics, the pedal has to be on while you connect of course. does it show in the midi devices thingy of the mac? (I don't have a mac now so I can't remember what the section is called ha, Sorry!) have you had any opportunity to maybe try it with a different computer/maybe a PC to make sure it's narrowed down to the pedal? If none of this works it sounds like there might be an issue with the USB port, that should be fixed by a service centre, support can help you out with that.
    Yes, tested the USB cable and even bought a new one, again to no avail. I don't know where on the Mac it would show midi devices, so I can't say whether it's showing up there or not.

I did try to resolve the issue by trying to connect it to my desktop Mac instead of my laptop, but again, no success. The USB ports work fine with all other devices that are plugged into them.

In the interim I've sent my HS2 back to for a replacement. Hopefully the new one comes with the new firmware installed and I won't be faced with a solution I can't implement because I can't get Vocal support to recognize the device!
  6. #46 by Angelo Santilli on 02-23-2018

So Glad You've Gotten To The Bottom Of It!

The quality of the harmonies coupled with the basic ease-of -use make this pedal a Godsend for me. Thanks for figuring it out!
  7. #47 by Spencer Larsen on 02-23-2018

Craig - Let's resurrect your pedal

Hey Craig,
    Sorry to hear your pedal died... My guess is that the connection was lost at a crucial point in the update process and the pedal goofed. I would have thought VoiceSupport is able to handle this scenario, but anyways let's try to bring it back to life. So yes you're almost there, put it in boot mode, hook it up via USB, the step you're missing is that you need to send it a kind of "Get ready to accept firmware" message prior to actually sending the firmware.
    Use Bome to send the pedal "F0 00 01 38 00 60 7E 7E 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 F7" and then you can send it the firmware syx. If the transfer fails partway through, Bome is sending MIDI too fast for the pedal to keep up with, and you'll need to throttle your send speed (mine is set to 989 bytes/second just to play it safe). Hopefully that works for you

Spencer Larsen
    Engineer, Testing
    TC Helicon,
    MUSIC Tribe
    Our Support Team is always available for more urgent assistance.
  8. #48 by Craig Kickbush on 02-25-2018
    Thanks Spencer, that first sysex message did the trick set Bome's to around 500 kb/s to be safe and worked first go.. now showing up in Voice Support 2.

thanks very much!
  9. #49 by Tõnis Tarkus on 03-08-2018

Thank you!

Just letting you know that i used this pedal with updated firmware for a whole 4-5 hour performance and had no issues. Everything was perfect!

Great job and thank you for fixing this!
  10. #50 by Roger Banks on 03-21-2018

Processing capacity now

So, for confidence, if it was running over 99% on the old firmware, what level of processing capacity is it running at now?
    Surely you should have at least a 10% safety margin, to be safe in all eventualities?