Harmony Singer 2 Issues [Resolved]

1. #1 by Spencer Larsen on 11-27-2017

Harmony Singer 2 Issues [Resolved]

*UPDATE - The issue outlined below has been solved. Please update your Harmony Singer 2 to firmware build 12 via VoiceSupport. Even if you've never experienced this issue, it's dormant in every pedal and we recommend updating anyways!

I'm creating this post as a centralized space to discuss and hopefully resolve the issue some users are experiencing with our Harmony Singer 2 stompbox. So far I have accumulated reports from 11 unique users describing very similar issues with their Harmony Singer 2 pedals - specifically anomalous distortion on the vocal channel's output.

[Here's where I spoke a bunch about power supplies and batteries. This turned out to be a red herring and is no longer relevant]

Thank you very much for your help with this, guys. We're going to continue our investigation as to the exact cause of the issue and why it's intermittent. But for now I'd like to raise awareness that we've narrowed it down to power supplies and please urge all Harmony Singer 2 users to confirm the supply you're using is 9VDC with at least 300mA.

Last edited by Spencer Larsen; 5 Days Ago at 02:48 PM. Reason: Issue resolved :)
    Spencer Larsen
    Engineer, Testing
    TC-Helicon,
    MUSIC Group
    Our Support Team is always available for more urgent assistance.
    (Warranty Statement, TC Dealers, Service Centers)
  2. #2 by Andre Belleza on 12-09-2017
    Hi Spencer.
    I have one and also the same problem. Tried to "isolate" the power source using a power supply only for the unit. Using a Line 6 400ma the problem gets better but I had one "voice distortion" on the gig and had to reset the unit. Tried on another show with a One Spot (1.700ma) and got no problems. I believe if you use the unit with a separated power supply with lots of power the problem will go away.
    Best from Brazil.
  3. #3 by Craig Kickbush on 12-10-2017

Harmony Singer 2 issues

Hi Spencer,
    Thanks for looking into this. I have been powering mine with a 1 spot (1700mA) with no other pedals in the chain. I can do 3 or 4 gigs with no issues, and then I will encounter distortion either once or multiple times during a gig. It is really intermittent and obviously the 1 spot is providing enough power.

My 1 spot powers other pedals I have fine (including a Roland GR55 which requires 700mA).

I have tried reflashing the firmware but it is still a case of some nights are better than others. It would be great to get the to the bottom of it so I can rely on it. I would consider buying another one but I'm not sure if that will fix the issue.

thanks,
    Craig
  4. #4 by David Rokofsky on 12-12-2017

Harmony Singer 2 issues

I have had a few different things go wrong. The distortion of vox is an issue for sure! I also experienced where the power light would flash red-green over and over for a while before the pedal would eventually go green. Then I experienced where the pedal would not harmonize until iIheld the button down. That is when I shipped it back and got a new one. The store I bought it from spent 20 to ship me a new one and I spent 10 to ship back old one. My new one experienced vox distortion basically out of the box! The problems are intermittent. It happened on battery and my batteries drained fast. It happened on AC power. I am using a 1A power adapter.
  5. #5 by Angelo Volpicella on 12-14-2017

Harmony Singer 2 Issues

Hello everyone.

Got that same problem happen to me 3 times during practice using a 1Spot 1700 mA power supply that was only used to feed the Harmony singer 2 pedal.

Also, if I press on the switch down for 2-3 seconds, the red light stars flashing and there are no harmonies or reverb or tone. What is the purpose of this??

Thanx!!!

Last edited by Angelo Volpicella; 12-15-2017 at 07:14 AM.
  6. #6 by Andre Belleza on 12-15-2017

Still the same problem.

Hi Craig.

Yes, same thing on me. Worked a few times and now its even worst. Had to take it off my board last night. Looks like the factory needs to make a recall...

- Craig Kickbush wrote View Post
    Hi Spencer,
    Thanks for looking into this. I have been powering mine with a 1 spot (1700mA) with no other pedals in the chain. I can do 3 or 4 gigs with no issues, and then I will encounter distortion either once or multiple times during a gig. It is really intermittent and obviously the 1 spot is providing enough power.

My 1 spot powers other pedals I have fine (including a Roland GR55 which requires 700mA).

I have tried reflashing the firmware but it is still a case of some nights are better than others. It would be great to get the to the bottom of it so I can rely on it. I would consider buying another one but I'm not sure if that will fix the issue.

thanks,
    Craig
  7. #7 by Angelo Volpicella on 12-15-2017
    - andre belleza wrote View Post
    hi craig.

Yes, same thing on me. Worked a few times and now its even worst. Had to take it off my board last night. Looks like the factory needs to make a recall...

amen!!!
  8. #8 by Angelo Volpicella on 12-15-2017
    I am now trying at home to pass the vocal signal through an aux to have a better control of how much signal goes into the pedal and bring the signal back to a channel.

Maybe feeding the pedal through an aux at low volume and returning it into a channel while raising the trim to compensate can be some kind of workaround solution. Seems to work fine so far... will have to try at regular band volume to see if the Cyborg sound comes back.

The downside to this method is if you use the tone button, the vocals will have different EQ on 2 separate channels, causing a clearly audible phasing issue. Bypassing the tone button and EQing both channels on your mixer identically sounds ok.
  9. #9 by Angelo Volpicella on 12-19-2017
    So tonight we had practice and the Cyborg sound happened again, now using a Morley 9V 300mA power supply that I had bought long time ago for a volume pedal and it also did it using 4 fresh out-of-the-box Duracell ProCell batteries. I now have a hard time believing this is a power supply issue.
  10. #10 by Craig Kickbush on 12-21-2017
    - Angelo Volpicella wrote View Post
    So tonight we had practice and the Cyborg sound happened again, now using a Morley 9V 300mA power supply that I had bought long time ago for a volume pedal and it also did it using 4 fresh out-of-the-box Duracell ProCell batteries. I now have a hard time believing this is a power supply issue.
    Hi Angelo, at the rehearsal were you going into the pedal via the aux as you described here (for a lower level mic input)? I have an xlr inline attenuator which would reduce the mic input by at least 20dB, might see how that goes.