UMC 404HD connectivity and Windows Sleep mode

1. #1 by Chuck Brillowsky on 11-27-2017

UMC 404HD connectivity and Windows Sleep mode

I'd like to use my UMC 404HD as the primary audio interface in my Windows 10 Pro (Fall Creators update) computer, not just for recording audio. I don't shut it down when I'm not using it, but I do allow it to go to sleep, as it's not my main computer.

Problem is, when I want to use it, the computer wakes up, but the interface is usually disconnected. To remedy this, I have to unplug the UMC power connector, wait several seconds, and then plug it back in. Just disconnecting the USB connection and plugging it back in doesn't seem to work. Given that there's no power switch on the interface, and I have to reach behind it blindly to pull the plug & re-insert it, it's a pain!

I have looked for power settings, telling the machine not to interrupt power to the USB ports, but this doesn't seem to help.

Is there advanced setting I'm missing, maybe? Anybody else run into, and solved, this problem?

Thanks for any suggestions....
  2. #2 by Sandeep Saxena on 11-28-2017
    I experienced the same last evening. I had to restart my PC.
  3. #3 by Ken Mitchell on 11-28-2017
    - Chuck Brillowsky wrote View Post
    I'd like to use my UMC 404HD as the primary audio interface in my Windows 10 Pro (Fall Creators update) computer, not just for recording audio. I don't shut it down when I'm not using it, but I do allow it to go to sleep, as it's not my main computer.

Problem is, when I want to use it, the computer wakes up, but the interface is usually disconnected. To remedy this, I have to unplug the UMC power connector, wait several seconds, and then plug it back in. Just disconnecting the USB connection and plugging it back in doesn't seem to work. Given that there's no power switch on the interface, and I have to reach behind it blindly to pull the plug & re-insert it, it's a pain!

I have looked for power settings, telling the machine not to interrupt power to the USB ports, but this doesn't seem to help.

Is there advanced setting I'm missing, maybe? Anybody else run into, and solved, this problem?

Thanks for any suggestions....
    Hi Chuck,

Welcome for the forums.

I'd recommend you follow the instructions in the link below to turn off USB Selective Suspend and see if that resolves the issue. I've had problems in the past with other devices, particularly externally powered devices. I happen to have my 404HD plugged into an always-on charging port on my laptop so I haven't experienced this issue.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-p...ng-usb-devices

My next thought would be to plug the 404HD into an externally powered USB hub and see if that helps.

Let us know how it goes.

Ken
  4. #4 by Chuck Brillowsky on 11-28-2017
    Thank you, Ken, for the forum welcome message, and the suggestions. After I've read the information at the link you've provided, and experimented further, I'll report on the results!

I have seen different behavior, depending on several factors. (Unfortunately, I haven't kept good notes...) Initially, I was powering it from a back-panel USB port. When I first experienced the 'wake-up' issue, thought I'd try using the AC adapter to supply the power. As I mentioned in the first message, I was able to reconnect to Windows, by unplugging the power, then reconnecting it. Actually, I'm a bit surprised that this worked, because it's still plugged into a USB port -- theoretically still supplying power while the AC adapter was unplugged!

Yesterday, rather than allowing my computer to go into sleep on its own, I put it to sleep, manually. When I brought it back to life by moving the mouse, the interface worked. Seems like the amount of time that it's asleep may be relevant, because nearly all the failures I've experienced have been after I've been away from the machine overnight, or a couple of days.
  5. #5 by Ken Mitchell on 11-28-2017
    Hi Chuck,

From what I read somewhere and what I just observed I think I know why unplugging and replugging the power adapter makes it work.

I can't find it right now but I read somewhere that the USB power is not used when the wall wart adapter is plugged in. I happen to have a high-power charging port (1100mA) on my laptop so I usually don't use the wall wart.

However, I just plugged in the wall wart and noticed all the LEDs on the 404HD flashed on and then off again. I noticed the same thing when I unplugged the wall wart. It appears that a hard power cycle occurs on the interface whenever the adapter is plugged or unplugged. That would explain why the interface comes alive again when the adapter is unplugged and re-plugged since it switches to USB power and back but not when you unplug and re-plug the USB cable since it's still being powered by the external adapter power.

Make sense?

Ken
  6. #6 by Chuck Brillowsky on 12-01-2017
    I suppose that makes about as much sense as some of the other things I'm seeing here.

First, there's the issue where, if I'm running off the wall wart and unplug it, the power LED remains on, because it's still connected via USB and getting power for that. I suppose the argument is, it's smart enough to recognize the interruption of this 'shore power' and do a reset. Could be...

Upon visiting the link you provided in your earlier message, I observed that this was telling me to do precisely what I had already done, disabling the 'suspend USB power' function while sleeping. So that was marginally helpful, since I'd already tried that.

Anyway -- I haven't revisited that machine for a couple of days, but did earlier today, and -- wouldn't you know it -- after I awoke it, the interface was still connected and played audio immediately. I left for a few hours and went back down a few minutes ago. Still ok. What's that old expression? Go figure?

But the weirdest thing happened on my way back to the forum. When I signed up as a member the other day, the url was https://forum.music-group.com/, and I saved my user ID and password in my password manager. When I attempted to login, the password didn't recognize where I was, so it didn't fill the user ID and password fields. I see that this is because the forum url is different! It's now showing https://forum.musictri.be/

They changed the domain and didn't notify their users? Very strange... Everything else looks the same...
  7. #7 by Ken Mitchell on 12-02-2017
    - Chuck Brillowsky wrote View Post
    I suppose that makes about as much sense as some of the other things I'm seeing here.

First, there's the issue where, if I'm running off the wall wart and unplug it, the power LED remains on, because it's still connected via USB and getting power for that. I suppose the argument is, it's smart enough to recognize the interruption of this 'shore power' and do a reset. Could be...

Upon visiting the link you provided in your earlier message, I observed that this was telling me to do precisely what I had already done, disabling the 'suspend USB power' function while sleeping. So that was marginally helpful, since I'd already tried that.

Anyway -- I haven't revisited that machine for a couple of days, but did earlier today, and -- wouldn't you know it -- after I awoke it, the interface was still connected and played audio immediately. I left for a few hours and went back down a few minutes ago. Still ok. What's that old expression? Go figure?

But the weirdest thing happened on my way back to the forum. When I signed up as a member the other day, the url was https://forum.music-group.com/, and I saved my user ID and password in my password manager. When I attempted to login, the password didn't recognize where I was, so it didn't fill the user ID and password fields. I see that this is because the forum url is different! It's now showing https://forum.musictri.be/

They changed the domain and didn't notify their users? Very strange... Everything else looks the same...
    Hi Chuck, yes, as you can see, the forum domain name change has caused some grief. I can no longer post formatted messages, only long strings of words. It's strange that your sleep mode problem went away. Had you rebooted since you had made the USB suspend change? I wonder if a reboot is required to get that working. --Ken
  8. #8 by Chuck Brillowsky on 12-03-2017
    - Ken Mitchell wrote View Post
    Had you rebooted since you had made the USB suspend change? I wonder if a reboot is required to get that working. --Ken
    Nope. As I often do, I simply walked away, leaving my recording software open and let it go to sleep. It came back to life as expected -- at least this time!

I suspect that a reboot would work anytime there's an disconnect, but that's like killing a ladybug with a hammer. Shouldn't have to reboot to wake up a sound interface!

Haven't tried it today -- guess I'll go down and see what happens. It's not a huge deal, and I don't suspect that there's anything wrong with the Behringer. Just annoying...

Thanks for your input, Ken.