FAQ for the X-Live Recording and Playback card for the x/m32 line of mixers

1. #1 by Robert Lofgren on 11-19-2017

FAQ for the X-Live Recording and Playback card for the x/m32 line of mixers

Here we will compile a list of FAQ's for the X-Live. The FAQ will be updated when new questions come up in the forum or social media.

We will keep this thread open for questions. Posts that have been answered, deemed unrelated or classified as feature requests will be silently removed to keep this thread as clean as possible.

Below you can find some related resources and videos:

The Teaser:
    X-LIVE - 32-Track Live Recording and Playback Card for X32 - YouTube

Drew Brashler videos
    https://dbbaudio.com/2017/behringer-x-live

Utilities:
    https://sites.google.com/site/patrickmaillot/x32

Last edited by Paul Vannatto; 11-24-2017 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Live document...
    __________________________________________________ _______________________

Check the knowledgebase at https://kb.musictri.be/mghome

For official technical and warranty support for your product you should contact the support team through their CARE department. You can contact CARE by phone at (+1) 702-800-8290 for the US and Canada and (+44) 1562 732290 in Europe.

You can also contact CARE support via email at CARECREA@music-group.com. They strive to respond to emails within 24-48 hours during normal business hours, but please be patient if it takes longer due to the volume of emails they receive.

Robert Lofgren
    Volunteer Forum Community Moderator
  2. #2 by Robert Lofgren on 11-19-2017
    Q: Can you record to both sdcards simultaneously?
    A: No, this is not possible. Only one sdcard can be accessed at any single time.

Q: Can you arm single tracks for recording?
    A: No, for performance reasons you can only record in 8/16/32 fixed tracks. The routing is decided by the normal blocks-of-eight routing in the CARD OUT setup page.

Q: What is the recording file format?
    A: The recording will be a single multi-channel wav-file. This file is industry standard and can be opened in virtually any modern daw. The sample rate is determined by the console sample rate; 44k1/48k.

Q: Will the X-Live come as standard if I buy a new x32/m32 today?
    A: No, it will not.

Q: What mixers will X-Live work on?
    A: The X-Live is supported on all of the Midas M32 and Behringer X32 line of mixers.

Q: Can I use the X-Touch to control the X-Live?
    A: Yes, the full sized X-Touch supports the X-Live.

Q: Can I use any other midi controller to control the X-Live?
    A: X-Live exposes an extensive number of parameters to control it. A separate midi document will be provided for this purpose.

Q: Can I use both the USB and sdcard at the same time?
    A: Yes, this is possible. Please note that both the USB and sdcard share the same routing. There is a special function to select if playback should come from USB or sdcard, leaving you with some extra routing functionality.

Q: What sdcards can I use with the X-Live?
    A: You can use any sdcard up to SDHC that is fast enough. While class-6 works, it is recommended to use class-10 type of cards. Do not skip on the quality for the sdcards.

Q: Can I use sdcards larger than 32gb?
    A: It is not possible to buy SDHC cards larger than 32gb. Any card larger than that will have to be SDXC cards and is officially not supported by the X-Live.

Q: I've read that a recording can only be up to 3 hours and in some others say up to 24 hours; Which one is right?
    A: The recording session format is future proof up to 24 hours of a single recording so if the X-Live should support larger cards in the future, you're covered.

A single 32gb sdcard can record up to almost 1.5 hours using 32 audiotracks. By using both card slots a single recording session can be almost 3 hours.

If you lower the recorded number of audiotracks you will get more time out of a sdcard. If you chose to only record 8 audiotracks a single 32gb sdcard will be able to hold almost 6 hours and 11.5 hours onto two sdcards.

Q: Some places says that I can record up to 64gb, but you say that only 32gb sdcards are supported.
    A: Yes, only sdcards up to 32gb are supported. However, since there are two sdcards slots available on the X-Live you can record and playback up to 2x32gb in a single session.

Q: I have read that you can install an optional battery on the X-Live card. What is the use of this battery?
    A: Yes, it is possible to install an optional CR123A battery onto the X-Live card. The battery is not included with the X-Live and must be purchased separately.

The battery will give you the possibility to automatically save your current recording onto the sdcard in the event of a power failure or similar so that you won't lose your recording.

It is also important to install the included battery clip so that the battery becomes securely fitted when you transport or move your mixer.

Q: Why is the recording split into several 4gb files?
    A: The wav-format only allows for files to be a maximum of 4gb. Recordings larger than that must be split into several 4gb chunks. These chunks are seamless so there will be no pops or glitches when they are merged in your daw or playback'ed by the x32/m32. Also, the FAT32 file system used by SDHC have a maximum filesize limit of 4gb.

Q: In Reaper my recording end up as a single file with all of my tracks in it. How can I separate them into single tracks?
    A: To convert the multi-channel audio track into single tracks in Reaper you only need to select the multichannel track and apply the action "Explode multichannel audio or midi to new one-channel items". Actions can be accessed from the Reaper toolbar.

Most other daw's have a similar feature when you import a multichannel file. Please see the manual for your daw for additional help.

Q: I've heard of people using sdcards larger than 32gb. Is this correct?
    A: The use of any card larger than 32gb is not supported and therefore not recommended as it violates the sdcard association licensing.

https://www.sdcard.org/developers/overview

Q: Can you swap out the full SD card and replace it with an empty (already formatted of course) card whilst still recording on the other SD card in order to extend the maximum recording time?
    A: No, this is not possible. The session only support spanning onto one extra sdcard - Two in total.
    You will need to manually start recording onto the third card and this will give you another two-card spanning set.

Q: Will old recordings become overwritten if I insert a card that has been previously recorded on?
    A: No, old files will not be overwritten. If you want to start fresh we recommend you to use the sdcard format utility present on the x32/m32.

Note that sometimes deleting files from the computer may not actually remove them from your sdcard due to the how computer's ability to recover deleted files works.

Q: I have read that SD Card Manufactures recommend using a separate program to format their cards rather than a computer's OS. What about the X-Live?
    A: The x32/m32 has a builtin formatting tool that is developed specifically for sdcards in mind. It is recommended that you use this tool for your sdcards used in the X-Live for optimal performance.

Q: Can I use the builtin USB-recorder on the x32/m32 at the same time as the X-Live?
    A: Yes, both can be used independently of each other.

Q: The firmware update for the x32 3.08 showed designating the 32 channel card under the "Transport Controls" on the setup/config tab. What is this?
    A: On the LCD-screen of the physical mixer you can see a transport control tab in the top-middle of the screen. In the config tab you can select if this this status display shows the onboard USB-recorder or the X-Live. It will not affect normal operation.

Q: Can I perform overdubbing with the X-Live?
    A: No, this is not possible since X-Live only supports playback or recording but not both at a single time.

You can however record audio from USB onto the sdcard so this could be a workaround for some. This is also useful if you want to record a live performance while using backing tracks from your computer.

Q: How do I format my sdcard on the x32/m32?
    A: In the 'Setup-->Card tab' you can press the 'Utility' button and you'll be provided with some extras including a format button. Please be aware of that it will format the currently selected sdcard so be careful not to format the wrong sdcard.

You will also have access to the format utility in the X/M32-Edit and X/M32-Mix.

Q: I've heard that the recorded audio tracks are stored as multi-channel wav-files. Why is it not possible to store the audio tracks as one file per track?
    A: Due to performance issues with many sdcards, storing the audio as a single stream compared to e.g. 32 concurrent streams, this degrades performance and may cause recording glitches. By writing a single file stream the full bandwidth of the sdcard can be utilized.

Q: Can I use the X-Live with my M-Air/X-Air mixer?
    A: No, these mixers have no optional card slot so you can't install the X-Live.

Q: I'm told that the X32-Core has been discontinued. Will the X-Live still work and be supported with it?
    A: Yes, it will.

Q: Is it possible to use sdcard cable extenders so I don't have to reach to the back of the mixer to access the sdcard?
    A: It does work but it alters the electrical specifications for the sdcard so its use is not officially supported by Behringer.

Putting the flex cable too close to the LCD you may start to notice errors due to the cable not being properly shielded.

Also, the mechanical switch detecting the presence of a sdcard inside the mixer will no longer work so you have to reboot the mixer every time you insert/remove the card.

Q: What is the maximum amount of audiotracks I can record?
    A: The X-Live can record up to 32 audiotracks in one session.

Q: Can I add markers both during recording and/or playback?
    A: Yes, you can add markers at recording, playback and when stopped. It is also possible to edit the markers if you misplaced a marker.

Q: Although the X-Live is, undoubtedly, a " multitrack recorder ", does it, in fact, have similar capabilities to a fully-fledged DAW?
    A: No, it does not have DAW capabilities in the broad meaning. Think of it more as an advanced tape machine.

Last edited by Robert Lofgren; 01-10-2018 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Live document...

For official technical and warranty support for your product you should contact the support team through their CARE department. You can contact CARE by phone at (+1) 702-800-8290 for the US and Canada and (+44) 1562 732290 in Europe.

You can also contact CARE support via email at CARECREA@music-group.com. They strive to respond to emails within 24-48 hours during normal business hours, but please be patient if it takes longer due to the volume of emails they receive.

Robert Lofgren
  3. #3 by Richard Gibson on 11-30-2017
    ...and top of the FAQ list, by an absolute landslide, is by far, overwhelmingly, the most common, popular, most FREQUENTLY asked question, again and again and again, in the forums, in the Facebook comments, by everyone, over and over again, which surely therefore, really needs to be seriously answered to satisfaction, in the “Frequently Asked Questions”, is…

Q: When / what date exactly will the X-Live be available in the shops???

PS:
    Responses like "very soon" / "in the near future" / "in just a little while" / "you can pre-order it" / "please bear with us" / "Release Date: TBA" / "coming to a store near you" / "thanks for your interest in Behringer" / "not long now" / "we're working on it" / "please check back with us later" / "we'll keep you posted" / "see website for info" / "it'll be ready when it's ready" are not a serious answer to this number one F.A.Q.
  4. #4 by Robert Lofgren on 11-30-2017
    Q: When / what date exactly will the X-Live be available in the shops?A: I think that it will be available very soon, in the near future so hang in there just a little while. The wait for the first stock is not long now.You can already pre-order it but please bear with us while we refill the backorders, coming to a store near you. Backorders release dates are TBD, but we are working on it.Please check back with us later to see if anything has changed as we will continue to keep you posted. You may also see our website for additional info. I could say that it'll be ready when it's ready, but that is not a serious answer, I think.Thanks for your interest in Behringer.
    - Richard Gibson wrote View Post
    ...and top of the FAQ list, by an absolute landslide, is by far, overwhelmingly, the most common, popular, most FREQUENTLY asked question, again and again and again, in the forums, in the Facebook comments, by everyone, over and over again, which surely therefore, really needs to be seriously answered to satisfaction, in the “Frequently Asked Questions”, is…Q: When / what date exactly will the X-Live be available in the shops???PS:Responses like "very soon" / "in the near future" / "in just a little while" / "you can pre-order it" / "please bear with us" / "Release Date: TBA" / "coming to a store near you" / "thanks for your interest in Behringer" / "not long now" / "we're working on it" / "please check back with us later" / "we'll keep you posted" / "see website for info" / "it'll be ready when it's ready" are not a serious answer to this number one F.A.Q.

Robert Lofgren
  5. #5 by Valeriu M. Trufin on 11-30-2017
    - Robert Lofgren wrote View Post
    A: I think that it will be available very soon, in the near future so hang in there just a little while. The wait for the first stock is not long now.You can already pre-order it but please bear with us while we refill the backorders, coming to a store near you. Backorders release dates are TBD, but we are working on it.Please check back with us later to see if anything has changed as we will continue to keep you posted. You may also see our website for additional info. I could say that it'll be ready when it's ready, but that is not a serious answer, I think.Thanks for your interest in Behringer.
  6. #6 by Bill Hood on 01-21-2018
    Got my X-Live card installed and all is working properly (once I figured out the routing for playback to the correct channels on my board - my stagebox channels had me confused for a moment). Had a chance to record some at practice yesterday, and came across one frustrating item; I think the answer is there, I just can't find it.

Is there a way, while recording, to just "Pause" while we discuss what we just practiced? I had to stop each time, creating 12 folders on my card, each with a "track 1" in it. To put on my hard drive, had to rename each, import each wav into Reaper, explode each track, move each exploded to the proper track (after the first wav was exploded, the rest exploded to new tracks) , etc...

I guess a way around it is to just record the entire practice, maybe use markers to hit the beginning of each song? So, two questions for the FAQ -
    1) Is there a "Pause" while recording?
    2) Will markers transfer into Reaper?
  7. #7 by Patrick-Gilles Maillot on 01-21-2018
    - Bill Hood wrote View Post
    [...]
    1) Is there a "Pause" while recording?
    2) Will markers transfer into Reaper?
    -1- I believe so (not having the X32 in front of me)... just press PLAY I think.
    -2- No. May have to write an app for that

-Patrick
  8. #8 by Bill Hood on 01-22-2018
    - Patrick-Gilles Maillot wrote View Post
    -1- I believe so (not having the X32 in front of me)... just press PLAY I think.
    -2- No. May have to write an app for that

-Patrick
    Thanks - will see if that works when I get back to the board. Probably not until Sat. This week is a mess.
  9. #9 by William Mims on 01-27-2018
    Can someone come up with a Windows GUI program utility to first combine the 4GB multi channel files into one large multi channel .wav, and then split the file into individual track files?
    Cymatic has a program for their files and it works well.

Reaper is way too cumbersome and I haven't even successfully done it yet with my first
    5 hour recording.

My files are automatically named 00000001, 000000002....... 000000009, 00000000A... etc.
    It's numbering anything past 09 in hex and then starts over at 20, 2A, 2B... etc...

I did a test for 23 hours of recording and the files went up to something like
    0000000003E or something like that. Looks like it's numbering in HEX order.
  10. #10 by Richard YClark on 01-28-2018
    There are some ideas and test code for dealing with X-Live recorded content here https://forum.musictri.be/showthread...781#post138781