M32 - 25 Mix Buses?

1. #1 by Matthew Ross on 10-17-2017

M32 - 25 Mix Buses?

Hello,

We have been running an M32 with a DL16 stage box (and also a few channels on our old analog stage box) for the last couple of years.

Recently, we added a second DL16 with the intention of maximising our potential for on-stage monitor mixes. Our band can often consist of 13 people and we'd like to provide an individual mix to each of them, while keeping 2 or 3 spare in case we ever need to expand for a one-off event or something.

I suppose the short version of my question is, how do I utilise all 25 mix buses (as the desk is advertised as having)? Can I use all 16 digital returns to the stage via my two DL16s, and use one of the analog XLR-out rows on the back of the desk to run things like FOH outputs and recording outputs, etc.?

Thanks in advance for your help. Let me know if you need any more information.

Matt
  2. #2 by Paul Vannatto on 10-17-2017
    Hi Matt,

Welcome to the forum. I'm not sure where you read that there are 25 mixbuses in the M32, since there are only 16. There are 25 buses (16 mixbuses, 6 matrixes, Main LR, M/C, monitor (phones)). That said, If you only want mono monitors for each of the 13 performers, you could squeeze it into the 16 mixbuses (since the last 4 are typically used for Fx sends, but can be also used for monitor mixes).

Another option is to add another M32 or X32 as a monitor mixer and utilize the 16 mixbuses in each of the consoles for monitors, Fx, recording, etc. The routing is a bit more complex, but doable.

__________________________________________________ _______________________
    For additional help please refer to the X32 wiki pages for updated and current documentation about the X32.

For official technical and warranty support for your product you should contact the support team through their CARE department. You can contact CARE by phone at (+1) 702-800-8290 for the US and Canada and (+44) 1562 732290 in Europe.

You can also contact CARE via email at CARECREA@music-group.com. They strive to respond to emails within 24-48 hours during normal business hours, but please be patient if it takes longer due to the volume of emails they receive.

Paul Vannatto
    Volunteer Forum Community Moderator
  3. #3 by Matthew Ross on 10-17-2017
    Hi Paul,

Thanks for the welcome and your quick response.

At every point I can see on the Midas website and M32 literature, it states that there are 25 mix buses. This is the main blurb on the M32 webpage:

Digital Console for Live and Studio with 40 Input Channels, 32 MIDAS Microphone Preamplifiers and 25 Mix Buses

So far, I've pinched 3 of the FX buses to use for 2 monitor mixes and a mono recording output, but I'd love to free up all 16 main mix buses for on-stage monitors if at all possible by using other facilities on the desk to run the main stereo FOH mix to the amps, a mono (at least) output for recording, and a stereo output for a live video feed to another part of the building.

Is that possible?

Thanks,
    Matt
  4. #4 by Paul Vannatto on 10-17-2017
    Hi Matt,

I guess it all depends on one's definition of "mix bus". My definition is a mixbus mixes channel signals, which would include the 16 mixbuses, Main LR, Mono M/C and the stereo monitor (headphones for solo etc.). The other 6 buses are matrixes, which by definition mixes mixbuses only (not channels).

So if the feeds to the recording and video outputs can be identical to the FOH mix, then you can simply assign the Main LR to outputs on the back of the M32 via the Ultranet or Aux Out Routing screen (then assign that bank of 8 to the XLR Out screen). Or you could send the Main LR signals to matrixes which could be assigned to outputs.

If you are not using the Mono M/C, it can be used as a mono mixbus for the recording.

It is also possible (but not ideal) to utilize the stereo headphones (monitor) bus for a stereo feed to the video. The routing would be a bit convoluted, but possible.

In reality, you are reaching the limit of the M32 capabilities. The ideal solution would be another M32 or X32 (the Rack would fit this scenario very well IMO) to work in conjunction with the existing M32.

For additional help please refer to the X32 wiki pages for updated and current documentation about the X32.

For official technical and warranty support for your product you should contact the support team through their CARE department. You can contact CARE by phone at (+1) 702-800-8290 for the US and Canada and (+44) 1562 732290 in Europe.

You can also contact CARE via email at CARECREA@music-group.com. They strive to respond to emails within 24-48 hours during normal business hours, but please be patient if it takes longer due to the volume of emails they receive.

Paul Vannatto
  5. #5 by Matthew Ross on 10-17-2017
    Hi Paul,

Thanks again for your help here. I suspect you're right about differing definitions of a 'mix bus'.

I think the suggestions in your second paragraph will be my first port of call when I get a chance to test things again later this week.

A second desk/rack console would be great, but we just don't have the funds to do that right now.

I'll post again in the coming days when I find a working solution for us - just in case it's useful for anyone else in the same boat.

All the best,
    Matt
  6. #6 by Paul Vannatto on 10-17-2017
    Hi Matt,

Looking forward to finding out your final solution. If you need routing help, just ask.

One other advantage of adding a second console is that of backup. If for some unforseen reason the M32 has hardware issues, having a second M32/X32 will mean a very quick swap (with minor tweaking) to back up and running. Our church has one of the original X32 and I have a couple of X32 Racks. If the church's console has hardware issues, I can quickly substitute it for one of my Racks until such time as we can get the full console back in operation.

Paul Vannatto
  7. #7 by Craig Fowler on 10-17-2017
    I'll just add that you can use the M\C bus as an FX send if you need (as long as you don't mind it being post-fader.)

Depending on how much control you need of the mix, you can use mtxs for things like video\overflow\delays, which could also help free up buses.
  8. #8 by Brian Henson on 10-17-2017
    Most mixer manufacturers do this. They list everything that could be considered an input as part of the total number of inputs, and everything that can be considered a bus as part of the total number of buses. It's misleading, but it probably looks better on the marketing materials.
  9. #9 by Ishai Ratz on 10-18-2017

M-32 25 Mix Busses

Hi Mathew- first a disclaimer- I use and know the Pro series, not the M-32. Having said that, are you using your Matrixes for distribution? if you mix to your main LR, you can send that mix in stereo to 3 different locations- one stereo pair to your PA, one to the other room and one to record... that will free up all your aux sends...will leave you with 13 mono sends for monitors and 3 for F/X sends....
    Hope this helps

Ishai Ratz
  10. #10 by Ishai Ratz on 10-18-2017

M-32 25 mix busses

OOOOPs, just realized I repeated Paul's suggestion, so- should have been a bit more careful reading before posting...