Pairing 2 Behringer b1200d sub's with Mackie Thump 12" tops

1. #1 by Florian Ashenberg on 09-18-2017

Pairing 2 Behringer b1200d sub's with Mackie Thump 12" tops

Hello, new owner of the Behringers and new member on this forum.

First, let me say I'm no pro-sound guy but I'm not a total newbie either. Here's my question, hope someone has some suggestions.

I am the bass player and sound guy for a 3 pc acoustic based group. Guitar/Bass/Cajon and all 3 of us sing. We've had the Mackie's for awhile and while they sounded good we really wanted to add the sub's to punch up the bottom end. Without a full drum set we wanted to avoid the sound seeming empty.

I am connecting the speakers like this. The Mackie tops are mounted on the subs with a standard speaker pole. We have a Mackie board and I take the two XLR out's from the board to each side L/R. The outputs of the board are connected straight to the B1200's on Input A. Than I connect the Output of the sub, not the thru, straight into the Mackie's. The issue that I've had the first couple gigs with this setup is that there is alot of "bleed over" of my bass going to the Mackie's and when I hit a strong low E on the bass I get some distortion.

My troubleshooting of this issue has included moving the hi-cut down lower, reducing the bass on the Mackie's and EQ'ing the bass down on the channel that the DI from my bass amp connects to the board, and EQ'ing the bass level down on my amp. I've gotten it to work but I'm still afraid I'm not doing something right with so much of my bass coming through the tops.

The manual for the B1200's is pretty short, and if I understand it I am correctly connecting things. The "thru" outputs would send the full range of signal to the tops and using the "Output" jacks to the tops should send only the signal controlled by the hi cut to the tops.

I hope that makes sense. I appreciate any input that members here can give, Thanks!
  2. #2 by Donald McNany on 09-19-2017
    The thru A is full range. The Output A has a 100Hz high pass filter (or low cut). So you can't alter that to the tops like a crossover. You can use the sub's Boost to increase the low end bass guitar & cajon while decreasing those frequencies on the source input channel. IOW, you lower a given frequency overall in the system, so less goes to your tops, then boost it back up in the subs using the boost control. That may work for your concern.
  3. #3 by Florian Ashenberg on 09-19-2017
    - Donald McNany wrote View Post
    The thru A is full range. The Output A has a 100Hz high pass filter (or low cut). So you can't alter that to the tops like a crossover. You can use the sub's Boost to increase the low end bass guitar & cajon while decreasing those frequencies on the source input channel. IOW, you lower a given frequency overall in the system, so less goes to your tops, then boost it back up in the subs using the boost control. That may work for your concern.
    Thanks for your "feedback" on my issue. I've kind of done that already with my bass amp but haven't applied that theory to the cajon channel. The cajon doesn't seem to be the issue. What I've been hearing is tones from the bass that come out of the Mackie's. But it's all good.

I own the Mackie's and the guitarist owns the subs, I have one sub at my home now to experiment with so I'll keep your suggestion in mind, thanks again.