Perform VK - How to get instrument on headphones

1. #1 by Ronald Janzen on 09-02-2017

Perform VK - How to get instrument on headphones

Hi, I would love to hear the piano that is connected to the instrument input on the headphones, basically the same as the main output
    It also would be great to have the DAW output on the headphones

Best
    Ronald
  2. #2 by Spencer Larsen on 09-08-2017
    Hey Ronald,
    You... can't hear the instrument input in the headphone output? Nor the audio your DAW sends to the VK via USB audio? That's weird because both of those routings should be working be default. The only thing you can manually mute is the auxiliary input. What firmware version are you running?

Spencer Larsen
    Engineer, Testing
    TC-Helicon,
    MUSIC Group
    Our Support Team is always available for more urgent assistance.
  3. #3 by Spencer Larsen on 11-08-2017
    We've fixed the instrument to headphone routing - check it out

Spencer Larsen
    Engineer, Testing
    TC-Helicon,
    MUSIC Group
  4. #4 by Ronald Janzen on 11-18-2017
    Thanks, awesome it works now.

I still can't get the VK to work with my DAW
    When I plug it into the computer I can select "THC DICE USB platform as my output but I can't hear anything.
    In Ableton Live 9 (I also tried Audacity) I can select DICE as my audio device but when I do Ableton gets really laggy. When I hit record, nothing happens(Ableton and Audacity)
    I tried uninstalling and installing the dice driver but that didn't help
  5. #5 by Spencer Larsen on 11-23-2017
    Aha, I've actually seen that before. When I was first testing the Perform-VK I was trying to record audio via USB into Reaper. I could select the VK as an audio device, see all the channels there, and arm it for recording, but when I hit record nothing happened. What turned out to be the issue was that although I was effectively using the VK as an interface, I still had my big Behringer interface plugged in to a different USB port (just doing nothing). Unplugging the Behringer interface and restarting my Reaper session solved my issue. It seems my computer didn't have enough USB bandwidth to support both interfaces, so removing one gave the VK more bandwidth to work with and it recorded just fine. So do you have any other devices plugged in via USB to your computer? If so, yank em out and try again

Spencer Larsen
    Engineer, Testing
    TC-Helicon,
    MUSIC Group
  6. #6 by Ronald Janzen on 11-28-2017
    Sorry, but I don't have a different Interface plugged in. I also tried unplugging everything else so the only connected USB-Device is the VK and the mouse. Ableton still crashes and Audacity just does nothing when I hit record.
    Ableton is running fine when I select the internal Mic as Input and internal speakers as output, but even selecting dice as the output with the internal mic as input recording doesn't work.
  7. #7 by Spencer Larsen on 12-04-2017
    Interesting... I just installed Ableton Live 9 to test this out myself. Initially, the VK didn't really work as an interface for me - the "Test Tone" option in the audio menu gave silence, and pressing Play did not begin playback. However unplugging my big Behringer interface from my computer and restarting Ableton solved this problem for me and the VK works as an interface just fine.
    Just to double check, you do have the Perform-VK's driver installed on your computer, right? If you do and you're still having this problem, maybe it's a USB bandwidth issue? Are you on a PC or a laptop? Can you try plugging the VK into a USB 3.0 port if your computer has one?

Spencer Larsen
    Engineer, Testing
    TC-Helicon,
    MUSIC Group
  8. #8 by Ronald Janzen on 12-29-2017
    The dice driver (Version 4.3.2.47999) is installed. I'm running a Windows 10 64-bit system on a Lenovo Thinkpad with an Intel Core i7-5500. The Perform-VK is plugged into an USB 3.0 port and it's the only device that is plugged in at all. I even uninstalled the drivers for my other interface (which was never plugged in when i used the Perform-VK). Still everything stays as described before. When "thc dice usb platform audio" is selected as windows output even spotify crashes
  9. #9 by Spencer Larsen on 02-05-2018
    Dang Ronald, I'm kind of running out of ideas. Have you tried connecting the Perform-VK to your computer via USB, where the USB cable is the only cable plugged into the VK? The 5-pin MIDI input and the USB input are sort of siblings on the PCB, and you can only use one at a time. What I'm getting at is if you have the 5-pin MIDI cable plugged into your VK then the USB connection tends to not work.
    One thing worth noting is that when trying to update the Perform-VK with VoiceSupport, it cannot be in use as an audio device for Windows. It can be enabled, in fact I'm pretty sure it has to be, but you should not be using it as your playback or recording device when connecting to VoiceSupport.
    I just tried updating my Perform-VK on a Windows 10 machine here and it worked fine, so at least we know it's not an inherent problem with the OS. If it comes down to it you may have to get in contact with our support team, or possibly exchange it with the retailer you purchased it from.

Spencer Larsen
    Engineer, Testing
    TC-Helicon,
    MUSIC Group