Bugera V5 Infinium Tube Removal

1. #1 by William West on 08-31-2017

Bugera V5 Infinium Tube Removal

Greetings,

Can anyone provide guidance on removing the tubes from the Bugera V5?

The Bugera video on replacing tubes shows a model with metal retainer clips that secure the tubes. The V5 doesn't appear to have the same retainers. The tubes appear to be held in place using a rubber cup or sleeve, so it's unclear what the proper procedure is for getting them out.

I tried rocking/pulling, but the force I was exerting started to make me a little anxious about the potential for breaking the glass, so I abandoned the operation until I can find some specific instructions for the V5. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Bill
  2. #2 by William West on 09-01-2017

Support provided an answer (and they were prompt - thanks for that)

Okay, so that all of you fellow V5 owners have the info, here is the response from support:

"The tubes should come out just by pulling them out. If they are not, you need to apply more strength, that's all."

So I'm going to work on this a little more over the weekend and report back with my results.

Thank you to the Bugera support team for their prompt and courteous reply.
  3. #3 by William West on 09-02-2017

Follow Up: Changed 12AX7 Tube Successfully

Support was correct. It just required a little more applied force to remove the tube!

Actually, rock and pull, rock and pull. It will come out. Pay attention to the direction of the pins when you remove it; you cannot see inside the amp, so if you don't make note of the direction, you'll just have to gently insert and then turn the new tube until the pins fall into place.

I replaced the stock 12AX7 with the Tung Sol version and it brought out the presence. I'm using a guitar with the Gibson Tony Iommi pickups, so the stock tube combined with the darkness of the Iommi pickups ran a little overly dark for my personal taste. The new tube has really brought out a broader range of tones. Not bad for a twenty dollar investment! Seriously, this little amp competes with the big boys now. Loved it before, but LOVE IT WAY MORE NOW!

Just wanted to round off this thread with the results.

Thanks,
    Bill
  4. #4 by Lewis Kodner on 10-09-2017

Tube change V5

It is easy just be sure to wipe the oils from you fingers off the tube. I tried a Grove Tube 12Ay7 and it backs the gain way off and it sounds way more to my liking but it is all personal taste.