MR18 Power On Start Up Noise

1. #1 by Jay Haynes on 08-22-2017

MR18 Power On Start Up Noise

Hi : I have an MR18 and love it, but it makes a harsh noise on start up (listen to attached file, a zipped mp4, but WARNING: turn down your speakers to their softest level before clicking play!!).

I have updated the latest firmware to 1.16, but I am still getting this problem. And if I don't remember to turn the volume down, turning on my MR18 is a painful experience.

Thanks for any help.
    Attached Files Attached Files
  2. #2 by Marty America on 08-22-2017
    Send it back! Get a replacement!
  3. #3 by Patrick Lenuweit on 09-29-2017

same here

Hi,

it was first so unexpected, that I got a ringing in the ears. Really dangerous!

I have exact the same issue ... is there already a solution?

I just figured out that there is silence if I select "mute Outputs on power cycle".

Is this the solution, or however a hardware issue?

The MR18 works fine besides this issue.

Regards,
    Patrick

Last edited by Patrick Lenuweit; 09-29-2017 at 01:58 AM.
  4. #4 by Stuart A Smith on 11-13-2017
    I have this also and now also have 'Mute on Powerup' selected.

It seems this is 'normal'. But I would not turn on any mixer (analogue or digital) with the power amps turned up.
  5. #5 by Gary Higgins on 11-14-2017
    I don't use "mute outputs at power cycle" for one reason, if your unit loses power and remote access has not been established, you will have no sound. if your remote access device breaks or malfunctions and you power on, no sound and no way to get it. With not using the mute function setting, your system powers up where last set at least. The way I get around it without noise is old fashioned but works. Power ON all your amps/speakers LAST, power OFF all your amps/speakers FIRST.
  6. #6 by Paul Layzell on 4 Weeks Ago

Me too

Iím getting the same problem. My best guess is itís some sort of fx feedback loop that happens during the brief period when the routing matrix is uninitialised. Setting mute at power cycle stops it from papering the opposite wall with your speaker cones, but others have pointed out the disadvantages of that setting.

If itís the routing matrix, it could be solved with a firmware modification, but itís interesting that XR18 owners havenít reported this issue to my knowledge, which might point to the different hardware that Midas use. A/D converters?

Itís not a major issue for me, but Iím adding my voice here so that Midas know this is a common problem. It would be great if they could solve it in a future update. Itís too good a product to be marred by this issue.
  7. #7 by Robert Lofgren on 4 Weeks Ago
    Does it happen even with a factory scene or just with some types of scenes?

- Paul Layzell wrote View Post
    Iím getting the same problem. My best guess is itís some sort of fx feedback loop that happens during the brief period when the routing matrix is uninitialised. Setting mute at power cycle stops it from papering the opposite wall with your speaker cones, but others have pointed out the disadvantages of that setting.

If itís the routing matrix, it could be solved with a firmware modification, but itís interesting that XR18 owners havenít reported this issue to my knowledge, which might point to the different hardware that Midas use. A/D converters?

Itís not a major issue for me, but Iím adding my voice here so that Midas know this is a common problem. It would be great if they could solve it in a future update. Itís too good a product to be marred by this issue.

__________________________________________________ _______________________

Check the knowledgebase at https://kb.musictri.be/mghome

For official technical and warranty support for your product you should contact the support team through their CARE department. You can contact CARE by phone at (+1) 702-800-8290 for the US and Canada and (+44) 1562 732290 in Europe.

You can also contact CARE support via email at CARECREA@music-group.com. They strive to respond to emails within 24-48 hours during normal business hours, but please be patient if it takes longer due to the volume of emails they receive.

Robert Lofgren
    Volunteer Forum Community Moderator