VL3X not booting up! AGAIN! 3rd unit now

1. #1 by Fast Heart Mart on 06-02-2017

Hello All!

MY VL3X will not power up anymore. Just a white screen. If I wait long enough, sometimes it will go into other screens. Sometimes, if I wait long enough, about 20 minutes, it will boot up, but it won't really work right. This is my third unit from Sweetwater. Sweetwater has been great about replacing the broken ones. I originally ordered the unit August 2016.

Is anyone else having this issue?

I really love my VL3X!!! I even catch myself telling it out loud sometimes "I love you. You're everything I've ever wanted in a guitar pedal and so much more". However, now I'm super bummed by it because I have some really important shows coming up, but I won't be able to use it. have worked really hard to get all my backing track levels just right, but now it's left me high and dry.

This time my VL3X broke right in the middle of a performance. I don't know what to do. I can't rely on this thing anymore. I could buy a 2nd unit as a back up, but that seems excessive to me, especially since I don't have much money. Besides, with my luck, if I bought a second unit TC Electronics would probably come out with the VL4X....

Thanks in advance for any help

I'm not sure where the old TC Electronic forum went, but I posted about this topic there before, with little response, so I'm trying again here.

Last edited by Fast Heart Mart; 06-02-2017 at 06:15 AM. Reason: Forgot some info
  2. #2 by Spencer Larsen on 07-14-2017
    Hey Mart,
    This is kinda heartbreaking to read. If you're on your third unit then I'm sure you're well aware of our support team and their process. You'd get yours fixed but be without it in the meantime. With your first two VL3's, did they tell you what they ended up fixing?

Spencer Larsen
    Engineer, Testing
    TC-Helicon,
    MUSIC Group
    Our Support Team is always available for more urgent assistance.
  3. #3 by natasha on 07-18-2017

same

This same thing happened with 2 of my regular vl3 units. One of them has never even left the house/been gigged.
  4. #4 by Simon Blakely on 07-20-2017
    Have you tried a System Maintenance boot and factory reset

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/93....html?page=190

I recovered my VL3X by doing this.
  5. #5 by Fast Heart Mart on 01-29-2018
    - Spencer Larsen wrote View Post
    Hey Mart,
    This is kinda heartbreaking to read. If you're on your third unit then I'm sure you're well aware of our support team and their process. You'd get yours fixed but be without it in the meantime. With your first two VL3's, did they tell you what they ended up fixing?
    Thanks for getting back to me Spencer! I'm not sure why I never received notice that you responded?

No, I never heard anything about what was wrong with the first 2 units. My third unit is doing fine for now though. I hope it stays that way. Fingers crossed.
  6. #6 by Mark A Ellis on 02-03-2018

This sounds like the dreaded Dirty mains. Spikes and drops in mains voltage can cause this. Its hard to detect but at early evening everyone switches on or if you have old fuse boards or hot joints this contributes to great gear going ga ga. And yes for the price you pay you would expect the manufacturer to do the remedy . A clean power supply from Argos or any computer shop will solve your problem. I recommend this because I worked in the direct print and apply industry for ICE and in only two companies we would get print heads burning out but only from certain supplies and this was the remedy. 3 units the same fault hmm.
  7. #7 by Fast Heart Mart on 02-04-2018
    - Mark A Ellis wrote View Post
    This sounds like the dreaded Dirty mains. Spikes and drops in mains voltage can cause this. Its hard to detect but at early evening everyone switches on or if you have old fuse boards or hot joints this contributes to great gear going ga ga. And yes for the price you pay you would expect the manufacturer to do the remedy . A clean power supply from Argos or any computer shop will solve your problem. I recommend this because I worked in the direct print and apply industry for ICE and in only two companies we would get print heads burning out but only from certain supplies and this was the remedy. 3 units the same fault hmm.
    Wow! Thanks for this information Mark!!!! I had a feeling that may be the issue so I am now only running my third unit with this Chargetech portable power outlet: http://a.co/5nD0PdL

Do you think this will address the issue? Or do I still need to order one of those Argos power supplies you mentioned?

Thanks again! This is a huge relief to hear that I may be able to rely on this beloved VL3X unit after all, with the proper power
  8. #8 by Louis Isaac on 02-04-2018
    I feel like the units are very sensitive to power, and that could be a big part of why they die quicker than sea monkies. I wondered whether using a 2 amp power adapter might help? it would just mean that if there were dips in power, the power adapter could buffer the dip.... any thoughts on this?
  9. #9 by Mark A Ellis on 02-05-2018

Yes this looks a great way of soaking up peaks and dips in power. This way is better as if the power ever fails on a gig your power wont be ripped from your equipment by larger gear. I,m designing a pedal board using VL3, BBuddy, iconnect midi 4 to power my iPad. The software I use is Set List Maker as it uses middi learn to automate all my effects drums and parts throuout the song and continue the track as long as I want. Also I can still interact live. I need to do the wattage math now seeing the power supply you have and build that into my board so thanks for the idea.
    The reason why I,m building my board this way is because to sing and play acoustic guitar comes easy for some and takes time for others and B.B. king very rarely did it. So I thought if I build my own Backing tracks and automate with middi CCs I I can just keep it rolling. I can also alter my backing tracks ongoing. The best tool is the VL3 octaver as I can record base into my DAW and make it change like my beat buddy parts. Only experimenting with one track at the moment so hopefully in 3 months I should have a powerful live (nearly) sounding pedal board.

Good luck with VL3.
  10. #10 by Fast Heart Mart on 02-06-2018
    - Louis Isaac wrote View Post
    I feel like the units are very sensitive to power, and that could be a big part of why they die quicker than sea monkies. I wondered whether using a 2 amp power adapter might help? it would just mean that if there were dips in power, the power adapter could buffer the dip.... any thoughts on this?
    Ha! "die quicker than sea monkies" I'll definitely be using that expression from now on
    Thanks for chiming in on this topic!

To Mark Ellis,
    I'd love to see your pedal inaction when you get it finished! Thanks for chiming in about the power surge issues

Last edited by Fast Heart Mart; 02-06-2018 at 08:27 AM.