Power supply for Mic Mechanic 2

1. #1 by Jason Blozousky on 05-10-2017

Power supply for Mic Mechanic 2

I've ordered and received a power supply for my Mic Mechanic 2 as per specifications on all the websites 9v @ 670 ma. It's the TC helicon power plug 9. When I plug it in and turn the switch on, all I get is a blinking red led in the top right corner of the box. What could possibly be going on with this? Am I doing something wrong? Pedal works fine with the aa batteries...help!
  2. #2 by Paul Vannatto on 05-10-2017
    Hi Jason,

Welcome to the forum. Did you check the polarity of the output? The polarity of the power adapter has to be the same as the Mic Mechanic 2 (eg negative center).

Last edited by Paul Vannatto; 05-11-2017 at 09:34 AM. Reason: corrected polarity
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    For additional help please refer to the X32 wiki pages for updated and current documentation about the X32.

For official technical and warranty support for your product you should contact the support team through their CARE department. You can contact CARE by phone at (+1) 702-800-8290 for the US and Canada and (+44) 1562 732290 in Europe.

You can also contact CARE via email at CARECREA@music-group.com. They strive to respond to emails within 24-48 hours during normal business hours, but please be patient if it takes longer due to the volume of emails they receive.

Paul Vannatto
    Volunteer Forum Community Moderator
  3. #3 by Jason Blozousky on 05-11-2017
    Paul,
    I checked the polarity on the pedal and the power plug 9. Both show negative center.
    Jason
  4. #4 by Spencer Larsen on 05-11-2017
    Hey Jason,
    The Mic Mechanic 2 should work with the PowerPlug 9, I've tried that myself... It's the TC-Electronic supply, right? TC-Helicon doesn't make a 9 volt. Can you please take a picture of your supply - specifically the label showing input and output? Does it work if you power on your pedal with batteries in it and the power supply attached? And just out of curiosity, where'd you purchase it from?

FYI the Mic Mechanic 2 needs 9 volts direct current, 670 milliamps, center negative.
  5. #5 by Jason Blozousky on 05-12-2017
    I'm at work right now and cant take a picture of the supply itself but here's the info from Amazon...
    Attached Images Attached Images
  6. #6 by Jason Blozousky on 05-12-2017
    it does work with batteries in and power supply attached.
  7. #7 by Conway Paton on 06-18-2017
    - Spencer Larsen wrote View Post
    FYI the Mic Mechanic 2 needs 9 volts direct current, 670 milliamps, center negative.
    Can you please advise the actual current draw of the MM2? The user manual states 670mA as per your quote, but the web page specs show 300mA.

I am looking at buying one to put on my guitar pedal board, which is powered by a 1Spot Pro CS12 power supply. I have limited capacity left after my guitar pedals - 670mA would kill it, but I can manage 300mA.
  8. #8 by Robert Lofgren on 06-18-2017
    You should normally not be able to destroy anything by testing it with your current power supply.

However, I personally don't like to run my power supplies at its limit and prefer to have some headroom.

__________________________________________________ _______________________

Check the knowledgebase at https://kb.musictri.be/mghome

For official technical and warranty support for your product you should contact the support team through their CARE department. You can contact CARE by phone at (+1) 702-800-8290 for the US and Canada and (+44) 1562 732290 in Europe.

You can also contact CARE support via email at CARECREA@music-group.com. They strive to respond to emails within 24-48 hours during normal business hours, but please be patient if it takes longer due to the volume of emails they receive.

Robert Lofgren
    Volunteer Forum Community Moderator
  9. #9 by Conway Paton on 06-19-2017
    Thanks, but I think you've missed the point. I am deciding whether or not to buy one.

If it requires 670mA, I won't buy one because I can't power it off my power supply. If it only requires 300mA, I will buy one.

The problem is contradictory information on the website and in the user manual.
  10. #10 by Spencer Larsen on 08-11-2017
    Actual power draw of the Mic Mechanic 2 is 9V 300mA but some places say 670mA from when they were of the mindset "get users to buy higher amperage just to be sure their supplies work." I've used it at 300mA and this is also what it says on the pedal itself.

Spencer Larsen
    Engineer, Testing
    TC-Helicon,
    MUSIC Group
    Our Support Team is always available for more urgent assistance.