Question for Craig

1. #1 by RL_38670 on 08-21-2014

Question for Craig

Craig,

I want to get either the VoiceLive Touch or the VoiceLive Rack purely to record vocals in my home studio through my computer.

With that being said, the Touch is much more in my budget. But is there any advantages in my case of using the rack instead? I really need to know does the rack include better preamps and conversion than the Touch unit?

Thanks!
  2. #2 by Craig Fraser on 08-21-2014

Heya RL,

In terms of conversion/output, you're going to end up at the same 16bit/44.1 or 48K digital audio for both units.

Personally, I'd get a small 2CH interface that will allow you to record analog from either device at whatever sample rate and bit depth your interface allows.

That said, I'd be totally happy with 16/44.1 since the song matters more to me than getting into really high rates, especially in light of the consumption of the material via mp3 on a bus in traffic etc.

For device choice, I'd likely choose a Rack (or VL2 is likely cheaper/available with VL3 out) since the interface/tweaking is MUCH easier on either of those two platforms with a screen etc. compared to the small LED display on Touch.

Cheers,
    Craig
  3. #3 by RL_38670 on 08-21-2014

Okay so two followup questions.

1) The specs shows the ViceLive touch is 24 bit so why would it be 16 bit for recording?

2)Also I have a focusrite interface, called the 2i2, with preamps/24 bit. If I connect the VoiceLive Touch to that interface, can I bypass the conversion on the VLT 2?
  4. #4 by Craig Fraser on 08-21-2014

Heya,

1) We use the native windows drivers for USB audio so we only support 16 bit.

2) Yep, that's what I'd use. Just go out of the Touch analog and into the Focusrite.

Watch your gain staging and make sure to give enough level to the Touch, since it's got to be your preamp for the mic.

-Craig
  5. #5 by Kevin Borich on 09-17-2014
    Hi Graig - I'm interested in buying a Voice lIve 3 - I've watched a lot of the you-tube demos and see that it's an awesome machine - one thing I haven't seen & heard - is - . Can the vocal section be used for harmony on guitar lines - He went through all the Guitar effects but did not demo any guitar solo lines with harmony's. At the beginning he said that ALL the vocal effects [ which I presumed includes Harmony's] can be use for guitar effects but didn't actually demonstrate that - SO [ LOL ] my Q is - Does the Voice live 3 have that capability - to be able to add harmony to guitar melody lines eg, like on the Eagles Hotel California - ? - I thought it must be able - but I want to be sure before I spend the $$'s - cheers and thanks for all the demos - wonderful stuff - cheers n all the best from Australia -

cheers kevin

e - kevin@kevinborich.com.au
  6. #6 by Craig Fraser on 09-18-2014

Hi Kevin,

The guitar and vocal effects paths are separate entities. We do have a pitch shifter for the guitar, but it's not a harmony generator, it's more of a "dumb" offeset that you can do 3rd's 5th's and octaves with.

Cheers,
    Craig
  7. #7 by Kevin Borich on 10-10-2014

Hi Craig - re my above Q re Voice Live 3 - Do you think that they will add the intelligent harmony for the guitar

path in the future? - That would be go !!

Cheers kevin
  8. #8 by frank Keefe on 10-14-2014

Hi Craig,Sorry if my question has been asked before..Ive got a home recording studio and have been impressed with T C Helicon for harmonies.I play just rhythm guitar but Im really only interested in getting great harmony sound for my original music .I have watched on youtube the Digitech live 5 and the T C Helicon live 3 both I have to say were amazing. Now I understand the question is for T C Helicon products only so I would like to know if I should go for the Live 2 or the live 3.Thanks Frank UK
  9. #9 by Craig Fraser on 10-15-2014
    @Kevin,

As far as I know, we don't have an algorithm that would work with guitar in the same way that we do with voices. We can do offsets, just like the octaver already does, but I believe we run into processing issues and "voiced" type data stuff that's way over my tech head when it comes to performing the harmony analysis on guitar.

@frank

Hmm, tough one. If you're just after harmonies, you could go for something simple like an H1. It has 2 voices of harmony that you can drive with guitar or set a key manually.

VoiceLive 2 will be cheaper and is older (less likely to get future features/updates) but VL3 might offer more than you need with its looper and guitar effects.

Perhaps something like a VoiceLive Play would work for you. It's affordable and has 7 vocal effects, you just need to set key/scale manually instead of driving it with guitar.

There's a product comparison tool on our website that lets you side-by-side the units, if that will help at all: http://www.tc-helicon.com/product-comparison/

Cheers,
    Craig
  10. #10 by derek mcclue on 10-16-2014

Hi Craig

if i'm using backing tracks and not playing my guitar should the harmonies play.

Seems to me that when I use my harmony singer without the guitar it still plays the harmony when pressed.

Derek