pitch corrector questions

1. #1 by Peter Williams on 06-19-2014

pitch corrector questions

Several TC-Helicon products have "auto chromatic pitch correction". Do they work the same, or do some products have a better pitch corrector than others?

What does "chromatic" mean? Are there pitch corrector that are non chromatic?

I'm thinking of getting one to use with home karaoke, mostly to entertain friends especially those who tend to sing off key. My main concern is some of my karaoke music may not be in the correct pitch (i.e. "A" may not be 440Hz). Do the pitch corrector actually detect the pitch of the music (from a room sense microphone), or do they assume A=440Hz?
  2. #2 by Craig Fraser on 06-19-2014

Heya Peter,

Chromatic means that all notes are "valid" for correction and the system will make sure you're accurately on pitch for the nearest semi-tone, even if that semi-tone isn't musically appropriate to the song you're singing. It's more of a "make all of my pitches more accurate but I have to sing the right notes too".

Scale based pitch correction, like that found in our HardTune, will force the incoming note to one that resides in the currently selected scale. It can be "hard" tuned (a la AutoTune) or can be "natural" which is a less aggressive method that still make sure that it's much more difficult to sing a musically "wrong" note.

For Karaoke, you'd want to use the HardTune block if the singers are "pretty bad" and want to sound like they're in key.

In terms of Tuneref (our parameter for setting the reference pitch), it's a "global" setting and can't be changed on the fly very easily. That would mean that pre-setting the key/scale of a song wouldn't work if the reference pitch changes from song to song.

I'd recommend a unit like VoiceLive Play that can use its Aux input to "listen" to the Karaoke track and try to determine key/scale from that. It will be able to follow different reference pitches.

For setup, you'd plug your microphone into the Play along with an 1/8" cable from your Karaoke player (phone, iPad, whatever), then output from the Play to whatever amplification system you want to use. You'll likely want something that can handle stereo so you get the full effects.

If it's a few singers in a room, you could output to either a mixer with speakers, powered speakers, or a headphone amplifier that would allow several headphones to be used simultaneously.

One thing to keep in mind is that the singers themselves will still hear their "wrong" notes, blended with the "right" notes from the speakers, so they'll sound "better" to the other people than they will to themselves. That's just the nature of the fact that you can't remove hearing your own voice in your head.

Cheers,
    Craig
  3. #3 by George Hart on 07-15-2014
    Try this problem!

I am arranging a [secret] party for my wife's 80th birthday. Yes I'm that age too but have a strong voice. I want to sing a bunch of oldies: Frank Sinatra, Jonnie Ray, Frankie Laine in particular. Can you spec me out for this. Main problem: my wife say's I'm tone deaf ... but I'm not ... just tend to hear the notes a bit off! I've actually had voice lessons. The showmanship and performance I have no problem with but the voice - needs a fix: it's strong but I go off key.

What do I need for a complete system and where to I get the materials.

Karoke system, tonal/pitch mic, pre-recorded songs etc.,

I have 3 months to set it up. And you [anyone reading this] can eMail me directly if you want: ghart@mric.net

thanks,

George
  4. #4 by Ricky on 03-06-2016

Hello Mr. Craig im voice live 2 user and i upgrade to vl3, what is the equivalence of level in % pitch correct chromatic in vl3 ? i dont see de % level...
  5. #5 by Craig Fraser on 03-07-2016

Hi Eric,

The global pitch correction is called "Global Pitch Correct" in the Setup screen on the Input tab. That's an overall chromatic correction that runs all the time at the % that you set it to. If you activate "HardTune", it'll temporarily override the global setting while it's active.

For the "HardTune" block, which includes both chromatic and key/scale based correction, you'll find the controls in the Vocal menu (the touch button) under "HardTune".

Cheers,
    Craig
  6. #6 by Ricky on 03-07-2016

Thanks Craig, and last question, if I want ear a back track in my in ear monitoring, do I have to use monitor in or auxiliary ??. My goal is that the song back track is cut in the main output. With monitor in, I have not found a way to cut into the main mix output...Thank Craig !
  7. #7 by Craig Fraser on 03-08-2016

Hi Eric,

You can use either. The monitor input shouldn't be going to the main mix output ever. I tested mine and get the Monitor in the headphone output but not in the mains. Are you sure that's happening?

For Aux, there's a level control on the "Main Mix" page that you can turn to OFF.

Cheers,
    Craig
  8. #8 by Ricky on 03-16-2016

Hello Craig, finally I have the white screen at start up, the first 2 times I solve it with rubbing alchool on the sd card contact, but now nothing, always white screen, what else can I do/try, I have a show this friday... Help me please. Thank you.
  9. #9 by joqquin on 03-22-2016

Hello, I am a singer of a group and need help to reach some tones in the songs. I want to buy a pedal which correct me but not are which. I've watched these options. Harmony singer, harmony gxt or voice tone h1

In principle only need: pitch correction, a voice from choir to the choruses and a reverb effect to give more presence to the voice.

Thank you for your help

10. #10 by Craig Fraser on 03-24-2016

Hi Joqquin,

Hmm, I'd suggest VoiceLive Play. It doesn't have Choir, but you can use Harmony, Double and uMod to create choir sounding output. We don't have anything smaller/simpler than that product that would be able to get the reverb and choir type sounds in addition to pitch correction.

You could run a Mic Mechanic for Pitch Correction, Tone and Reverb, but no Choir sound.

Cheers,
    Craig