FX150 Output Modes

1. #1 by Steve Schreiber on 07-29-2014

FX150 Output Modes

When using guitar in input 1 (Hi Z enabled) and toggling between Full Mix and CH 1 output modes, there is a slight loss of volume in the monitor (a couple db) when using the CH 1 output mode. Why is this?

Also, I understand the thought process for disabling the tone and reverb when using CH 1 output mode because you are assuming there will be a monitor mix coming into channel 2. But what about guitarists/singers who want to send separate signals to FOH?

For example, if you allowed the tone and reverb to still be active on channel 2 in the FX150 monitor when using CH 1 output mode, the user could just turn it off if they didn't want it. This would allow Gtr in channel one with reverb and vocals in channel 2 with tone and reverb all being monitored in the FX150 monitor. And then you could send processed guitar to FOH out of the Out (CH 1 selected) and dry vocals out the THRU to FOH. It's actually more confusing than helpful when options are automatically disabled due to other seemingly unrelated buttons are pushed. It should be up to the user to determine what is best for their setup.
  2. #2 by Craig Fraser on 07-29-2014

Hi Steven,

The reason we don't allow processing (other than EQ) on CH2 in CH1 mode is that we don't want someone's signal that already has Tone or Reverb on it to conflict. In a lot of cases, the band gets 1 single monitor mix to share, with the FX150 CH1 allowing "more me" on that signal. If you added Tone to the incoming CH2, you'd be adding Tone on top of the Tone you're already sending to the board (and also over the whole mix). Not good.

If you need 2 channels of control at the FX150, I'd suggest bringing your monitor mix into the Aux instead.

The THRU is exactly that. It's a hardwired thru from CH2 and not controlled by software, meaning that you can't send "dry" vocals or anything else out that jack. It only will replicate what's coming from the CH2 input. It's much like our guitar in/thru.

Cheers,
    Craig
  3. #3 by Steve Schreiber on 07-29-2014
    Right, using the aux is exactly what I would do if I needed a monitor feed from FOH. But I rarely ever do. This actually reinforces my point, I'm sure there are others that just want to monitor themselves (vocals with reverb and tone and guitar with reverb only) out of the Fx150 while sending separate XLR signals (processed guitar and dry thru vocals) to FOH. There is currently no way to do this. If you opened up the option to add reverb and/or tone on channel 2 in the monitor only, it would be near perfect.
  4. #4 by Steve Schreiber on 07-29-2014
    And to clarify my wanting to send dry vocals out of channel 2 thru, this would just naturally happen because input 1 would be guitar hi z and input 2 would be a vocal mic. So, naturally, output (thru) 2 would send dry vocals be default. Think of it more like a singer/songwriter's amp instead of a "more me" full band stage monitor.
  5. #5 by Bryan Schumann on 07-29-2014

I agree. I'm having the exact same issue.
  6. #6 by Craig Fraser on 07-29-2014

Ah I see what you're getting at. To counterpoint, as a singer/songwriter, wouldn't you just use Full Mix mode and apply processing to both channels and mix in the FX150? What you hear is what you get from the speaker, so you'd know what the mix sounds like that you're sending to the PA.

Cheers,
    Craig
  7. #7 by Steve Schreiber on 07-29-2014
    I don't know why I use that singer/songwriter example because I am not even one of them and have no idea what they do, lol. I'm thinking more in situations when I sit in at church on acoustic guitar and sing back-up vocals. They will always want separate signals.
  8. #8 by Dave Barnes on 07-31-2014
    I agree that it would be very helpful if it were possible to monitor yourself thru the FX 150 at the same time as sending independent guitar and vocal signals to FOH. Would this be technically difficult/possible to do as an update? I have to say that I was surprised after purchase to discover that this function was not an option.
    I am an older player and appreciate how the FX150 significantly lightens the load of what I need to carry around for solo gigs. It is a fine piece of equipment and very easy to get a good sounding Full Mix. However at the venues I play at, the sound people always want separate signals. I do hope it will be possible to do this.
  9. #9 by Steve Schreiber on 07-31-2014
    Was thinking more about this... I assume many people use the FX150 with another TC processor that does harmonies (VLP, VL3 - hence the promo). In all those situations there is equal risk to double up on the tone for undesirable effects. And the recent FW update which allows tone to be activated on the 1/4" input makes it possible to add tone to the guitar signal which is also undesirable. So I don't see why the tone/reverb has to be "locked out" when using the CH 1 output option since some people might want two channels of control/output at the FX150. Please consider adding this option in a future update. Thanks.
  10. #10 by Craig Fraser on 07-31-2014

Heya Dave,

I don't think this is technically/electrically possible, since we only have one output on the FX150. The THRU can't be re-purposed for an output, since it's a simple electrical connection to the Monitor IN.

Maybe there's room for a more advanced version in the future. I'll certainly bring up your ideas with the team!

-Craig