Voicelive 4

1. #1 by Galen Fitzpatrick on 08-13-2015

Voicelive 4

Getting ahead of ourselves for our mutual enjoyment, what would be the updates that would really make VL4 worth the upgrade.

Here's my wishlist, in no particular order.

1. A way to re-order effects. (POD does this pretty decently)

2. At least one (two would be better) FX Loops that can be re-ordered as effects. (Again POD)

3. More balanced outs. I tend to use my VL3 straight to the board. I would love to have 4 balanced instrument outs. They should be configurable so they can be two separate stereo pairs. a stereo pair and two mono signals, or 4 mono signals. This would let me run a keyboard and a guitar and have them on different channels on the FOH board, or, as is my use scenerio, Guitar, Dobro, Electric Guitar, and Lap Steel on different channels.

4. Integrated computer based management software. I use a mac, so the current option doesn't help me.

5. Loop buttons assignable to Switch 6 or similar.

6. More flexible button mapping. There's been some great work here already. For instance, the ability to put guitar switches on the vocal layer and reversed is very helpful. However, being able to assign presets to buttons as an alternate board setup would allow the pedal to adapt to the player instead of the other way around. I would also be ok if this was just a variety of preset options to choose from. For instance, on the looping layer it would be great to be able to turn off loop B and C and get a few more options on the home set of buttons. Here would be my ideal set of buttons.

While not Recording

MET ON/OFF TAP ERASE ALL

REC/Overdub Vocal REC/Overdub V+G REC/Overdub Guitar

While Recording

MET ON/OFF TAP ERASE ALL

START/STOP SET/OVERDUB SET/PLAY

7. For those making heavy use of the step button, being able to set a few more options up for what happens when the step takes place would be neat. Here's a usage case: When I play Oh, Shenandoah, I start out with an acoustic guitar and single vocal. Hitting Step from that preset moves to step two which adds harmony. Hitting step again keeps the current settings, but starts the looper using just the guitar input. The next step tells the looper to SET/Play and changes the guitar sound for a lead. Hitting Step again changes the guitar sound back and stops the looper AT THE END OF ITS LOOP. It would be user pre-programming heavy, but would be great for stage use for rehearsed songs. (shoot me if this is what automation on VL3X can do)

8. A clean way to have multiple units attached to each other so different instruments/vocals can be switched from a single unit. Even better if expression pedals from one could be set up to control the same parameter on all. For instance, allowing the band to swell the reverb in a song section.

If it's fun for you, throw in a couple of pennies.

-Galen
  2. #2 by Nikos Alexakis on 08-13-2015

Is this a VL4 wish-post? I am in!

Assignable preset buttons (for those of us that use mainly one preset) so we can use those handy lights that the switch 3/6 does not have.
    Mic looping mode. When we switch to mic looping source, it would be fun to be able to change mic parameters, for example switch on choir for backing vocals looped, or lower mic gain automatically so it does not get too much bleed from the rest of the loop or sounds.
    Use expression input for 2nd switch 3/6.
    Make unit lower part higher, cause I think most people use a pedalboard, so sometimes its hard to press lower buttons(i use PT3).
    1 x extra 3rd input for 2nd mic or 2nd instrument.
    A bit larger screen.
    Midi master capabilities.
    A Tom Lang hologram explaining features instead of a boring manual (this is a must).

Get to work guys!!!
  3. #3 by Craig Fraser on 08-13-2015

Heya all,

Definitely throw any and all ideas you have in this thread. We're still way out from a VL4, but it's definitely on our minds and we're starting to formulate the plan for what it will and will not be.

I look forward to what you come up with!

Cheers,
    Craig
  4. #4 by Jeff on 08-13-2015

To reiterate my February 17, 2014 post - with some new additions

1. Backlit buttons
    Has the design team ever considered implementing a backlit display to the control panel buttons? Specifically: Genre, Setup, Store, Home, Vocal, etc..

Ive noticed in some of my performing situations the lighting is dim/dark enough that It would be nice to have some lighting behind the buttons. Given, after using the unit for a while I become familiar with the locations, VoiceLive2 was more tactile because of physical buttons. with VL3, its all flat. I think I'm still alone on this idea and Im starting to look funny wearing a headlamp while playing. Actually, thats it! how bout a VL4 HeadLamp - free with each unit. That would surely put the spotlight on us.

2. Preset Knob Wrap and or numerical preset entry
    Lets say you are at Preset 1, and want to get to the very last preset. It would be nice to simply turn the preset knob once to left to get to the last preset. Ive seen this navigation method adopted in other technologies and it allows you to get where you want, quicker. Also, the other option would be a numerical entry to enter the preset number.

3. Add/Edit Genres and add genres to preset - Example. Have BodyRez as Acoustic Genres
    Scenario: added all of the available preset packs, but noticed bodyres does not show as acoustic genre. Consequently, a blank preset can be created at the start of each "pack" and named them to identify the group of presets that follow them.

@ Craig, here's what you said at the time, Heya, We chatted about wrapping the preset knob, but there's a downside to it as well. Currently if you just hold your foot on preset up/dn you can zoom to the beginning or end of the list and know it'll stop there. That can be a benefit if you want to quickly get back to preset 1 (for example). I'll certainly bring up the idea again though... I'll take a look at the Genre tagging for the BodyRez presets and see what's going on there.
  5. #5 by Galen Fitzpatrick on 08-13-2015

A BIG +1 on #3, Jeff. Playing solo and with a band, it would be great to be able to label presets as belonging to one or the other so I can avoid the other stuff in rehearsal settings.
  6. #6 by vincent de Greef on 08-13-2015

You said wishlist ? Here's my ideas :

- A polyphonic guitar octaver, or one with Boss OC3 like behavior.

- A software presets editor.

- A guitar input gate with a gain trim parameter, like the vocal input.

- A fading option for loops ending.

Have a great day,
  7. #7 by Paulo Silva312805 on 08-14-2015

Great Idea!

1 - A safe "ONE BUTTON ONLY" pedal mode. I am playing guitar or keyboard and singing. Sometimes I press 2 buttons instead of 1 button ou press the wrong button typycally "double" when I want Hit... because I don't have time to look below. I want a mode that no matter what button i press is equal to press the hit button or press the step button, for example. Of course there has to be a way to "unlock" this perhaps with 2 button press like the tune mode, etc. Better yet if this parameter is saved with the preset, so i would use it in one song and do not use it on another, for instance.

2 - Voice EQ/compressor/gate per preset and not global. You have this for guitar... This will be great to change your voice for different songs.

3 - COPY & PASTE pleeease!!! Like copy only the guitar reverb from one preset to another... today we have only a trick to copy all guitar sounds from one preset to another. It would be perfect if it has a copy to function in each page (i.e., guitar reverb, voice reverb, harmony, double, etc)

4 - spdif back. I use a rme interface to act as a mixer live and spdif help reduce latency - no a/d/a conversions.

And for icing on the cake:

5 - Less latency. You are doing a great job, but 24 ms latency is still VERY noticeable...

Regards,

Paulo

8. #8 by Galen Fitzpatrick on 08-16-2015

Oh, man, Paulo's #1 is my dream come true without even realizing I wanted it. Ability to set input gain per preset to accomodate different instruments.
  9. #9 by Galen Fitzpatrick on 08-16-2015

Oh, man, Paulo's #1 is my dream come true without even realizing I wanted it. Ability to set input gain per preset to accomodate different instruments.
  10. #10 by Mike Levine on 08-16-2015

I know it's not the same thing, but you can achieve pseudo "input gain" on the guitar layer AMP simulation, if you use them. There are Pre-EQ, Pre-Gain, and Post Gain settings that work well together.

But I agree, a system level Guitar input gain isn't enough control. Each preset would do well with guitar and vocal input gain controls.