Voice Rack FX PDF Manual?

1. #1 by Jerry Back on 12-16-2016

Voice Rack FX PDF Manual?

Hi! I just bought the Voice Rack FX for use with my iPhone. It all sounds awesome and the controls are very intuitive. That said, I'm a "manual" guy and didn't see one for Voice Rack FX listed among the other manuals available for TC Helicon's product line. Does one exist and can I have it?

Best,
    Jerry
  2. #2 by Matt Connell on 01-03-2017

Hi Jerry. Happy New Year. We currently do not have a PDF manual for Voice Rack FX, but we may create one in the future. In the meantime, are there any specific functions that you are curious about?

Also, for a 'manual guy' such as yourself, I'd love to know what the preference would be - a pdf version, or an in-app manual/tutorial?

Thanks,

Matt
  3. #3 by Jerry Back on 01-05-2017

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the reply. A PDF is great if it’s a voluminous amount of information (e.g., 10+ pages). I usually print it all out and then flip back and forth to find the right information. When it’s an in-app, I risk not uncovering the sought-after information because it’s hiding under a button I had neglected to click. That said, as long as the in-app tutorial has a usable keyword search field, I’ll probably be fine. It relies upon me, though, to input the ideal keyword, which I may or may not do.

So, without anything, I’m currently getting by with trial and error. It’s still a great app, though—my sub-par singing is really getting a boost. My goal is to get the singing to a point where it’s not a distraction to the songcraft (which I feel is my strong suit).

Currently, I’m using two preset settings the most:

Fixed Major Harmony: setting is Reverb on half and Interval at 2 O’Clock. The “Monks” come out if the setting is at 12 Noon (lol). Anyway, if the tutorial included a little section that told you what harmonies are happening at what dial position would great. Is “2 O’Clock” the third or fifth harmony to my singing root note? I don’t know and I don’t really have to know; it just would be nice to know.
    Pitch Assist: I’m not really using this, yet, because I’m not that sure how to use it. It would be nice in the tutorial to know how “Rate” and “Amount” work. And is “Pitch Assist Room,” simply Pitch Assist + a reverb dial?

A small pain point is that when I open up Garageband, I’m always checking to see if the Voice Rack FX app is being applied to the track I’m recording. If I do something somewhere else, go to another song, come back to the previous song, it seems like Voice Rack FX disengages and needs to be reapplied. This might be by design and perhaps I better for it (there are probably unintended consequences if Voice Rack FX “remembers” which setting is to be applied to which track for a particular song.

There’s a “Speech Bubble/Halo” icon between the Settings icon and the “Mic Mute” icon—what is that?

I’m not sure how to use the “Tap” icon or what’s it for? I hold down on it and it blinks a few times. I think it has something to do with toggling between two of the five presets, but I’m not sure.

Hope the above is useful. I’m doing great with the app regardless of any future tutorials. I’m still on the learning curve for recording in general, so part of it is on me to keep learning the craft. It might not be in your best interests to dumb down the app for a small percentage of people like me. Just give me something to read (i.e., a tutorial—either PDF or in-app) and I’ll pull myself up. Perhaps, it will get me to go to the higher level Voice Jam Studio at some point.

Happy New Year and thanks again for the reply!

Best,
    Jerry
  4. #4 by Matt Connell on 01-05-2017

Fixed Major Harmony: setting is Reverb on half and Interval at 2 O’Clock. The “Monks” come out if the setting is at 12 Noon (lol). Anyway, if the tutorial included a little section that told you what harmonies are happening at what dial position would great. Is “2 O’Clock” the third or fifth harmony to my singing root note? I don’t know and I don’t really have to know; it just would be nice to know.
    The default '2 o'clock' position on this setting is actually 4 'notches' up from '12 oclock, and so 4 semitones up from whatever note you are singing, aka a major 3rd. and one notch up or down with increase or decrease the harmony voice by one semitone. So, right at 12 oclock you would be at a unison voice.

Pitch Assist: I’m not really using this, yet, because I’m not that sure how to use it. It would be nice in the tutorial to know how “Rate” and “Amount” work. And is “Pitch Assist Room,” simply Pitch Assist + a reverb dial?
    Rate = how fast the pitch correction will 'pull' your vocal to a corrected note. Amount = this is how hard the overall effect will work to keep you on a note.

A small pain point is that when I open up Garageband, I’m always checking to see if the Voice Rack FX app is being applied to the track I’m recording. If I do something somewhere else, go to another song, come back to the previous song, it seems like Voice Rack FX disengages and needs to be reapplied. This might be by design and perhaps I better for it (there are probably unintended consequences if Voice Rack FX “remembers” which setting is to be applied to which track for a particular song.
    My personal experience using VRFX within GB is admittedly limited. I do know that the format of iOS AU plugins is still rather new, so perhaps that may play a part here. I'll have to did deeper to speak any further on this...

There’s a “Speech Bubble/Halo” icon between the Settings icon and the “Mic Mute” icon—what is that?
    That's the 'talk' button. A simple bybass of whatever current effect you are on, delivering a dry signal.

I’m not sure how to use the “Tap” icon or what’s it for? I hold down on it and it blinks a few times. I think it has something to do with toggling between two of the five presets, but I’m not sure.
    The tap button is for tempo. It will affect the repeat speed on the presets using echo/delay. It will have not effect on other presets.

Hope the above is useful. I’m doing great with the app regardless of any future tutorials. I’m still on the learning curve for recording in general, so part of it is on me to keep learning the craft. It might not be in your best interests to dumb down the app for a small percentage of people like me. Just give me something to read (i.e., a tutorial—either PDF or in-app) and I’ll pull myself up. Perhaps, it will get me to go to the higher level Voice Jam Studio at some point. Happy New Year and thanks again for the reply! Best, Jerry
    Feedback ALWAYS appreciated! FYI; VJS is another great app, but won't deliver a higher level in terms of vocal FX. It's for looping and its great at that, so if your interested in looping by all means grab it. It has the same 50 vocal presets build into the app, but without the adjustability. You can also use VRFX within VJS.
  5. #5 by Jerry Back on 01-18-2017

Hi Matt,

Thanks so much for your January 5th reply. You've answered my questions and I'm really getting some awesome functionality out of this app. The "Fixed Major Harmony" preset is making my vocals sound a lot more polished and frankly less distracting to the ear.

If other questions arise, I'll write them in this forum.

Thanks again,

Jerry