macOS Sierra and Midas Venice F series Firewire driver

1. #1 by Andreas Baumecker on 09-15-2016

macOS Sierra and Midas Venice F series Firewire driver

Hallo!

One week or so until Apple releases its latest OS.

Since it took ages to update the Firewire driver on the Venice F series consoles when Apple changed to El Capitan, I was wondering if macOS Sierra will be supported from the start this time.

I do want to update to the latest OS quickly but of course I don't want to lose the ability to work in the studio either.

Thanks for letting me know.
  2. #2 by Chase McKnight on 09-15-2016
    Hi Andreas,

Just as a general practice, it's best to not upgrade operating systems if your current system is working properly. You'll find many studio owners tend to not be early adopters of the latest operating systems for this very same reason -- if the console firmware isn't a conflict, it could be the DAW, or third-party plugins within the DAW, etc.

With that prefaced, I will reach out to our software team and see if and when Sierra will be supported for VeniceF consoles. This will likely take some time so we strongly recommend staying at El Capitan until further notice.

Chase McKnight
    Manager, Solutions
    MUSIC Group
    MIDAS
  3. #3 by Michael T Moore on 12-10-2016

Following up

Hi, can you please let us know if there has been any updates regarding Mac OS Sierra compatibility? I bought a Midas F16R about two months ago and am hoping to use it with one of my band members Mac laptop that shipped with Sierra already on it. Thanks
  4. #4 by Michael T Moore on 12-10-2016

MacOSSierra Midas Venice FW Driver

Hi, I actually just tested it again and the current driver (4.2.1) actually does work with Sierra! What doesn't work is the firewire to Thunderbolt adaptor I just bought. It works when I run the F16R into my Apple Thunderbolt Display's FW port, and then to the MacBook, but when I put the Firewire to Thunderbolt adaptor in the chain (regardless of if I plug directly into the MacBook or Thunderbolt Display) it doesn't work. Anyone know if I just got a bad adaptor? Or is this a known issue, and if so do any 3rd part adaptors work with F16R? Thanks!
  5. #5 by Phil Bolland on 01-03-2017
    Hi Michael

Just bought an f16 and having exact same problem. Device not found when connecting to thunderbolt with an apple converter on my mac book pro. Really frustrating! Did you get yours to work?

Midas - is there a workaround?

Thanks!
  6. #6 by Jesse Coutu on 01-25-2017
    - Chase McKnight wrote View Post
    Hi Andreas,

Just as a general practice, it's best to not upgrade operating systems if your current system is working properly. You'll find many studio owners tend to not be early adopters of the latest operating systems for this very same reason -- if the console firmware isn't a conflict, it could be the DAW, or third-party plugins within the DAW, etc.

With that prefaced, I will reach out to our software team and see if and when Sierra will be supported for VeniceF consoles. This will likely take some time so we strongly recommend staying at El Capitan until further notice.

Any news on Sierra? How about Windows 10 and Thunderbolt3 compatibility?
  7. #7 by Jesse Coutu on 02-14-2017
    - Chase McKnight wrote View Post
    Hi Andreas,

Hey [Chase McKnight;84816], any updates coming for Sierra and/or Windows 10 Thunderbolt3 compatibility?
  8. #8 by John Linke on 02-25-2017
    Another Venice owner here wondering if and when the Sierra drivers will be made available for my F24 which I recently purchased.

Any news?
  9. #9 by Jesse Coutu on 03-15-2017
    - John Linke wrote View Post
    Another Venice owner here wondering if and when the Sierra drivers will be made available for my F24 which I recently purchased.

Any news?
    I think we're screwed and they've abandoned these consoles. I PM'd Chase (above) and haven't gotten a response. Hasn't logged in for 4 weeks.

I was hoping for the possibility of a swappable card to upgrade from the Firewire card to Thunderbolt or USB3 or some other protocol, but it seems to be a pipe dream.

Obviously, this forum isn't a place for answers.
  10. #10 by Jesse Coutu on 03-27-2017

Great support.

I also emailed Midas via their website, and got this response...

We would love to help you and will respond to you within one business day.
    We are honored to have you as our customer -- thank you for your trust.
    Lets keep in touch.
    After 2 days, I responded to that email, because I hadn't heard from them.

It's now been 12 days without a response.

Midas Support seems great.